• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dermy's Attagenus unicolor Colony 2016-2019

dermy dermestids attagenus unicolor colony

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 Offline dermy - Posted March 5 2018 - 1:38 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Colony continues to grow I have so many videos that are over a month or so old. This video shows their setups currently [or at least as of sometime in Late February]

#42 Offline dermy - Posted March 24 2018 - 9:14 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

The video at least shows how large my colony is [that's only about 60% of the total Attagenus unicolor I have since I split them into two colonies]

I was gonna give them that huge enclosure upgrade but I noticed 2 things:

1- They weren't large enough for that container, they breed so slowly that it would take them literally years to even fill any of it.

2- I noticed once they fell off the original spot they couldn't get back up, which would limit the amount of breeding room anyway.

I ended up giving the bin [with some modifications such as a big vent on the lid] to my Mealworms.

#43 Offline dermy - Posted March 31 2018 - 11:42 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Hopefully that's much better lighting then other videos. I've noticed they've started eating much more food than they used to. Now I have to clean them out every 2-3 weeks [I'm somewhat allergic to their frass/shedded exoskeletons] All frass is put into a different container as to not lose any potential eggs or small larvae.

• LC3 and AntsMaryland like this

#44 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted March 31 2018 - 4:36 PM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

So what do the larvae look like? Grubs?

(I'm quite ignorant about this)

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#45 Offline dermy - Posted March 31 2018 - 4:53 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

They are really small, kind of like a mix of grubs [they have their legs at the front like grubs would] and caterpillars [because of all the tuffs of hair they have]. Mine have long hairs at the ends of the larvae, some have weird tuffs that even vibrate to scare off parasitic wasps [Anthrenus verbasci]

[you know it's funny this question was hard to answer..... it's been so long that I've been messing with Dermestids that I usually just say "hey looks like a Dermestid beetle larvae :lol:    ]

Sorry if that didn't really answer the question much... :|

• AntsMaryland likes this

#46 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted March 31 2018 - 4:57 PM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

They are really small, kind of like a mix of grubs [they have their legs at the front like grubs would] and caterpillars [because of all the tuffs of hair they have]. Mine have long hairs at the ends of the larvae, some have weird tuffs that even vibrate to scare off parasitic wasps [Anthrenus verbasci]

[you know it's funny this question was hard to answer..... it's been so long that I've been messing with Dermestids that I usually just say "hey looks like a Dermestid beetle larvae :lol:    ]

Thanks.

I was just curious. :D

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#47 Offline dermy - Posted March 31 2018 - 5:06 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Thanks.

Here's the best image I could get with my iPod [the only camera I have at the moment] to at least give you an idea of what they look like, the knife was there to try to show size but I don't think it worked as well as I wanted:

lqG8gWP.jpg

#48 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted March 31 2018 - 5:12 PM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Thanks.

Here's the best image I could get with my iPod [the only camera I have at the moment] to at least give you an idea of what they look like, the knife was there to try to show size but I don't think it worked as well as I wanted:

lqG8gWP.jpg

Oooh. They look cool. And buggy :D

Are the larvae active?

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#49 Offline dermy - Posted March 31 2018 - 5:30 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I'd say they are pretty active, they can't climb much of anything [even a slight incline is impossible for them, like those cookie containers with the middle part all bumped up] I've personally found Dermestes larvae and beetles to be more active but that might just be because of the large size of them.

#50 Offline dermy - Posted April 9 2018 - 12:05 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Almost time for a container upgrade before spring time (off season for Dermestids, they still do everything they normally do I just focus less time on them and more on outside stuff like ants etc.) I don't have a plan for what I'm going to use just yet but I'm sure I'll find something before too long, still have a month of time left anyway.

#51 Offline dermy - Posted April 13 2018 - 2:50 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I'm amazed as to how large this colony seems to be. I'm also noticing more adult beetles again which is good :D

I've finally got a bin in mind for their Summer home, I still need to work out what I plan to do with it but at least I have something in mind :)

• AnthonyP163 likes this

#52 Offline dermy - Posted April 25 2018 - 8:33 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I finally gave the colony a nice cleaning, I'll be getting them ready for their larger setup come mid May after their 4th Birthday.

There's a nice video showing the amount in the colony at the moment. I read a few scientific papers, including one about rearing them in Captivity and under "Lab Conditions" it takes them 8-12 months for an entire Generation :|

#53 Offline dermy - Posted August 21 2018 - 3:05 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Sorry about like never updating this ever. It's been awhile and I've moved the Colony into a much larger bin, that should last them a few years before they need to be moved/split into other containers. Here's one of the first videos I made when I moved them into said bin vs. the latest (not uploaded yet so I will edit this post when I finally do upload it at like 4am)

(note it's not timelapsed that's how slow they move btw)

Here is the video I said I would upload, funny enough it was uploaded around 4am :lol:

(this one was timelapsed by the way)

Spoiler

I'll try and update this more than I used to since I like this colony a lot. It's been around for over 4 Years now so I must be doing something right. As far as the population, I'm guessing over 1000 now!

Edited by dermy, August 22 2018 - 2:02 AM.

#54 Offline dermy - Posted August 26 2018 - 1:26 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Just a quick video update, this is how slow they are in real time:

It's almost winter here, so I'll have some plans for them come late September. I still need to clean them out because I'm somwhat allergic to their frass.

#55 Offline dermy - Posted June 27 2019 - 10:54 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

It's been quite a bit since I've updated on this "Colony" they are still alive and doing "Okay" for Attagenus standards. I haven't done much with them besides keep them well fed and out of sight. Here is some video from 2019 of them. They honestly haven't grown much in size for an "Update" but I do have a Picture I took of them today when I cleaned them out. I will still make videos on them every now and then. Incl. some that I guess I made a few weeks ago now that I'm writing this.

Here's the picture:

3doNOE0.jpg

Not much changes with these. I basically keep them for the sole purpose of they are Dermestids and are one of the only things that has ever survived everything all my other insects have gone through. Go figure the thing that survives the best is also the thing that breeds the slowest.

Here is the footage I created in June of 2019 I never did much with them have been using them as "test subjects" for recording sessions.

(If you are wondering why it's uploaded to a different channel it's because I needed to upload it but couldn't do so on my main account so I started using a secondary one haha got lots of videos and sometimes I chose priority of certain "Colonies" over others.)

I'll continue to update as anything interesting happens. I also revised the title a bit.

#56 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 27 2019 - 11:04 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Are these good feeders?

#57 Offline dermy - Posted June 27 2019 - 1:50 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Are these good feeders?

No, they took me 6 years to grow a colony to the size of perhaps 700+ (might be more might be less but around there) and they don't have much to offer an ant or anything under all that setae.

• AntsBC likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dermy, dermestids, attagenus unicolor, colony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users