• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Cloud's Chinese Praying Mantis Journal (Updated June 3rd, 2019)

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 16 2019 - 5:30 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

Last night, while I was checking my porch light for any ants, I happened to notice a very slender insect on the side of my screen. At first I thought it was an assassin bug, but upon closer inspection, it was a baby praying mantis! I looked at it closer and I was able to identify it as a Chinese Praying Mantis, Tenodera sinensis. I counted its abdominal segments and identified it as a male. I have named him Ying, and he is very jumpy and active. He has almost escaped from me several times! He is currently an L3. I will continue to update on his progress as he grows and matures.

Edited by CloudtheDinosaurKing, June 3 2019 - 2:54 AM.

• TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#2 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 17 2019 - 9:10 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Ying is so cute! I was recording him with my macro lens and he would not stop reaching out for the lens! It was the cutest thing! Anyway, he's doing well and is looking good. I'm gonna catch some fruit flies for him, as that would be his preferred food at the moment considering his size. He may also show some interest in springtails, granted, larger ones, probably ones that are that are too large for my Strumigenys louisianae colony to catch, but then again, I have seen them catch and kill springtails larger and heavier than themselves. :lol:

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#3 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 17 2019 - 10:12 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Well, he doesn't need fruit flies! I tossed in a large house fly, just to see what her would do, and he started following it around with his eyes, looking very interested, extending his arms a bit every time it came near. After a few misses, he finally caught it! He has currently eaten a little over half of it, and he doesn't show any signs of stopping. I put another fly in with him just to see if he'll eat.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#4 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 21 2019 - 6:50 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

I got another male! I named him Yang, so now I have Ying and Yang. He's a molt above Ying, and probably molted a few days ago, and had not eaten since then, as he was very thin at his capture. I put a fly in with him, along with in Ying's container, and they both took them, Ying taking it sooner as Yang seemed a bit stressed. He's definitely calmed down though.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#5 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 21 2019 - 7:20 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
The only thing I can find are male cockroaches flying around and drowning in my pool. :ugone2far:

#6 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 21 2019 - 7:27 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

The only thing I can find are male cockroaches flying around and drowning in my pool. :ugone2far:

Yeah. Mantids certainly aren't easy to find sometimes.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#7 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 22 2019 - 4:46 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

mantids and cockroaches are related, so your pretty close. :lol:

• TennesseeAnts and Ferox_Formicae like this

#8 Offline Leo - Posted May 22 2019 - 5:19 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

ChInA

#9 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 24 2019 - 9:33 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Ying has molted! He is now the size of Yang, just a lot softer. I'm gonna try feeding him tonight, as it will have been 24 hours since his molt, and he should have hardened enough to the point where he would be comfortable with eating. I also found out that Yang adores ants! A Pseudomyrmex pallidus worker (more information on that coming soon...) had escaped, and was running up the side of Yang's cage. Yang seemed very interested and kept striking at it, missing obviously.  :lol: I caught the worker and put her in with him, and within 2 minutes, the ant had completely disappeared down his gullet. I also gave him a Camponotus nearcticus worker, and he ate that too! So I guess he adores eating ants as well as flies!

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#10 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 27 2019 - 7:42 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Ying and Yang have been moved into their new home, inhabiting the formicarium my Trachymyrmex septentrionalis colony is in. They seem to like it, and they really don't mess with the ants, as they apparently don't like how they taste. They will eat other ants, but not the Trachies. They have yet to show any aggression towards each other, and when they get really close to each other they simply stare at each other for a few seconds before one hits the other away and they both go flying back and scurry away.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#11 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 29 2019 - 5:02 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Ying seems to be the one who gets all of the food. Last night, Yang caught a large Green Bottle Fly (which really don't contain too much nutrition), but Ying over here catches a big, fat Orchard Orbweaver and now he looks like he's about to explode! I'm gonna catch another Orchard Orbweaver tonight and make sure Yang is the one who gets it. He deserves the nutrition.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#12 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 29 2019 - 7:01 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Yang has become very attached to me, and reaches out for me every time I reach into the cage. He is absolutely adorable!

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#13 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 2 2019 - 5:33 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Still don't beat mammals! :D

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#14 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted June 2 2019 - 5:44 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Yang has molted, and he is much bigger now.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#15 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 2 2019 - 5:46 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Pics?

#16 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted June 3 2019 - 2:46 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Pics?

Yeah, lemme get some.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#17 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted June 3 2019 - 2:53 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
Ying
Ying
Yang

Yang

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users