• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

My experience...

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Loops117 - Posted October 31 2016 - 7:18 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

I don't know very many ant sellers in Winsconsin

My buddy is there. He's a GAN farmer.

#22 Offline T.C. - Posted October 31 2016 - 9:49 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Wisconsin

Where do you live in Wisconsin? I am a Wisconsinite as well?

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#23 Offline T.C. - Posted October 31 2016 - 9:56 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Lmao AC for real mate? I got the same IP ban. It was for advertising... Hey when I first started ant keeping I thought that u were trying to spread ant love... I know u still r but I think ur focused on ur company and money. We were just trying to spread ant love and do our hobbies... When I got banned from GAN, I was like boy I'm NOT IN GAN LMAOOOO!!! Then u banned from the forums... I started emailing u and it seemed it was all fixed. But NO u HAD to ban me AGAIN! Welp my griping is over! If u ever add me back, Formiculture be my bae

Well this was a huge pain in the butt to try and read. Please use actual english to convey your thoughts and feelings not texting short hand.

I agree with Zero and dspdrew on this one, also whether or not you should have been banned is really not my place, but alot of forums don't allow advertsing! Did he warn you, or just ban you? Perhaps that may have been a bit harsh if he hadn't warned you. But I guess rules are rules.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#24 Online AnthonyP163 - Posted October 31 2016 - 12:07 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.
That's the thing; we didn't advertise.

I don't want this to turn to a fight, so please don't make it one.

We got a partial warning when we were banned from GAN. Alabama Anter was never in GAN, but it said they were going to make the decision of banning us from the forums. Joseph wrote an email apologizing and saying that we shouldn't be banned because we are all ant-lovers.

A week or two after that...

IP banned,

"Reason-Advertising."

I am in southeastern wisconsin.

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#25 Offline Mdrogun - Posted October 31 2016 - 12:31 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

If you want to go back on the forum simply use TOR. You can download it at this link if you're on PC

https://www.torproje...browser.html.en

or you can download the app if you're on mobile.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#26 Offline Kevin - Posted October 31 2016 - 1:02 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

You can also spoof your IP by changing the MAC address in your router settings. It's a lot simpler than opening up tor or using a VPN.

• Mdrogun likes this

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#27 Offline drtrmiller - Posted October 31 2016 - 1:04 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Not sure it's a good idea to publicly advise a user on how to conceal his or her identity in order to circumvent a ban from another forum.
  • gcsnelling, dermy, LC3 and 4 others like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#28 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted October 31 2016 - 1:10 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Anthony, quit complaining, please. It really shames me to see people to come crying and asking for a chance to advertise. Nothing against you Anthony, I'm sure your a good guy, who learned his lesson. You really can not advertise here either, unless you have permission. You can put  your website on your profile, like drtrmiller, and he's pretty good. You learned your lesson, and this will keep happening to you if you don't. Good luck on formiculture.com!

:>

#29 Online AnthonyP163 - Posted October 31 2016 - 1:10 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
Nolan and Kevin.... Jeez....

#30 Online AnthonyP163 - Posted October 31 2016 - 1:12 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Anthony, quit complaining, please. It really shames me to see people to come crying and asking for a chance to advertise. Nothing against you Anthony, I'm sure your a good guy, who learned his lesson. You really can not advertise here either, unless you have permission. You can put your website on your profile, like drtrmiller, and he's pretty good. You learned your lesson, and this will keep happening to you if you don't. Good luck on formiculture.com!

in not trying to advertise. I asked if it was allowed because someone asked about my site.

Learned my lesson...? Sure, I learned to look at rules much closer now... But I never advertised on their forums, or here.

#31 Offline drtrmiller - Posted October 31 2016 - 1:15 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

You really can not advertise here either, unless you have permission.

There are few prohibitions on speech here, except ones that make sense, given the nature of the forum. For example, we don't allow discussion of illegal activity, which includes offers to transport ants in violation of a known law.

Have you read the forum rules? They're very simple, and have worked well for a long time: http://www.formicult...12-forum-rules/

Edited by drtrmiller, October 31 2016 - 1:17 PM.

• dspdrew likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#32 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted October 31 2016 - 1:21 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado
Ok welp I don't care anymore that's past and y'all are my homies!

YJK

#33 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 31 2016 - 2:14 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

No reason to speculate on what is and isn't allowed here; just read the rules. There is no rule that says you can't advertise here--even if it's for another forum. I recall removing a link only once because it was an advertisement for a website engaging in illegal ant sales. Technically even that is a gray area according to our rules. We just don't want any planning or coordinating of illegal activity taking place here. It would just open us up to a big pain in the butt we don't need.

• LC3 likes this

#34 Offline Barristan - Posted October 31 2016 - 3:01 PM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

Intraspecific competition among ant forums: Myth or fact?

#35 Online AnthonyP163 - Posted October 31 2016 - 4:16 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
K so it wouldn't be against the rules because we don't ship over borders.

#36 Offline drtrmiller - Posted October 31 2016 - 4:19 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

K so it wouldn't be against the rules because we don't ship over borders.

And also as long as your state doesn't have a law prohibiting it, and as long as the insects aren't "poisonous" (USPS regulation 525.4).

Edited by drtrmiller, June 6 2017 - 11:50 PM.

#37 Offline gcsnelling - Posted October 31 2016 - 4:26 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Venomous, not poisonous.  As far as I know there are none that are toxic if you eat them.

• AntsMaryland likes this

#38 Online AnthonyP163 - Posted October 31 2016 - 5:33 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
K, who wanted to know what it was?

#39 Offline Socalfireants - Posted March 31 2017 - 6:34 AM

Socalfireants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Well, this topic isn't meant to trash anyone, it's just explaining why I was banned from the AC forums. I don't want to start any fighting, so please just keep your opinion to yourself.

So, I decided to become a GAN farmer, and it was cool beans. I sold colonies, it helped get stress off my shoulders, everything was great.

So I started a little website to sell some ants, and also ant formicaria. Not gonna put it here because moderators might not be happy.

I shipped a Formica Subsericea Queen, and forgot that it was against the rules of GAN. That kind of where I messed up, and I don't blame them for banning me from GAN about that. They had every right to do that.

The thing that they shouldn't have done... Ban me from the forums. The reason I was banned was for "advertising" What!?!? I never advertised on the AC forums! They didn't have a good enough reason, so they just randomly banned me for "advertising". I was so, so mad. I know quite a few people on here also go to the AC Formus, you might have seen me there. This explains why I don't post.

Get this, it was a IP BAN!! Wow, they really didn't want me on their forums....

Please, don't fight about this. It isn't meant to offend, I just wanted to explain why I'm not there anymore.

I wouldn't want you on forums either. Shipping queens is unethical and dangerous to the ecosystem. 

#40 Online AnthonyP163 - Posted March 31 2017 - 7:38 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Well, this topic isn't meant to trash anyone, it's just explaining why I was banned from the AC forums. I don't want to start any fighting, so please just keep your opinion to yourself.

So, I decided to become a GAN farmer, and it was cool beans. I sold colonies, it helped get stress off my shoulders, everything was great.

So I started a little website to sell some ants, and also ant formicaria. Not gonna put it here because moderators might not be happy.

I shipped a Formica Subsericea Queen, and forgot that it was against the rules of GAN. That kind of where I messed up, and I don't blame them for banning me from GAN about that. They had every right to do that.

The thing that they shouldn't have done... Ban me from the forums. The reason I was banned was for "advertising" What!?!? I never advertised on the AC forums! They didn't have a good enough reason, so they just randomly banned me for "advertising". I was so, so mad. I know quite a few people on here also go to the AC Formus, you might have seen me there. This explains why I don't post.

Get this, it was a IP BAN!! Wow, they really didn't want me on their forums....

Please, don't fight about this. It isn't meant to offend, I just wanted to explain why I'm not there anymore.

I wouldn't want you on forums either. Shipping queens is unethical and dangerous to the ecosystem.

LIKE I said, I was an amateur and didn't know this. This topic is old and you don't need to be starting random arguments, please don't turn this into one. I'm on the same side of you at this point. At least read my posts before you make your own.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users