• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Should we change the name of reputation back into likes?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Canadian anter - Posted October 23 2016 - 3:15 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
I find it weird that you can get a good "reputation" juat by telling jokes
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 23 2016 - 3:20 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

The reputation system is the same as it's always been. Likes = reputation.

#3 Offline Canadian anter - Posted October 23 2016 - 3:29 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
I mean the "reputation points" on your profile
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#4 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted October 23 2016 - 3:33 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

How to heck does Reacker have -20000000 points or something xD

:>

#5 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted October 23 2016 - 3:44 PM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

How to heck does Reacker have -20000000 points or something xD

One word answer, "kick"

#6 Offline drtrmiller - Posted October 23 2016 - 4:06 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
The system, as it is now, is just based on popularity, writing style, types of replies (answering questions elicits more likes, compared to asking them), etc. The total number of likes or points doesn't mean very much without understanding the context under which those likes were earned.

A badge system may add some additional context to the virtues of member interactions. For example, someone who earns lots of likes by telling jokes, as you describe, may be assigned a "jester badge" that would display under his or her avatar.

Edited by drtrmiller, October 23 2016 - 4:33 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#7 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted October 23 2016 - 6:12 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado
I'm a noob at formiculture so I don't know what the heck this is lmao!

YJK

#8 Offline Loops117 - Posted October 24 2016 - 6:01 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

The system, as it is now, is just based on popularity, writing style, types of replies (answering questions elicits more likes, compared to asking them), etc. The total number of likes or points doesn't mean very much without understanding the context under which those likes were earned.

A badge system may add some additional context to the virtues of member interactions. For example, someone who earns lots of likes by telling jokes, as you describe, may be assigned a "jester badge" that would display under his or her avatar.

i completely agree. I've noticed noobs with a decent reputation (with less then 100 posts), and when i checked the posts, they weren't anything informative.....at all. I was skeptical about the reputation at first, but now it just seems to be pointless. Reputation should be built on your actual feed back related to anting (imo) and not by how much someone likes your post.

For instance, reacker is straight forward. He tells someone their [censored] sucks, and he gets 10 post likes. If he had a normal rep as the rest of the community does, he would have a reputation built on being a straight forward [censored] (ironic) regardless of his ant knowledge. But since reputation is build solely on post likes, it's false. Should be changed back to post likes. or just likes.

Edited by dspdrew, October 31 2016 - 12:26 AM.
Removed profanity

#9 Offline noebl1 - Posted October 24 2016 - 9:54 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

I'm a relatively new user on this forum this year, and pretty much took the reputation points with a grain of salt.  Didn't take too long to figure out on here reading their posts who are the knowledgeable ones, who are eager to help but not experts, and who to pretty much ignore.

#10 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted October 30 2016 - 10:25 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

i completely agree. I've noticed noobs with a decent reputation (with less then 100 posts), and when i checked the posts, they weren't anything informative.....at all. I was skeptical about the reputation at first, but now it just seems to be pointless. Reputation should be built on your actual feed back related to anting (imo) and not by how much someone likes your post.

For instance, reacker is straight forward. He tells someone their [censored] sucks, and he gets 10 post likes. If he had a normal rep as the rest of the community does, he would have a reputation built on being a straight forward [censored] (ironic) regardless of his ant knowledge. But since reputation is build solely on post likes, it's false. Should be changed back to post likes. or just likes.

I agree, but I think Reacker did get a downgrade by...lets say about 20 million points or some [censored].

Honestly, I think noobs(like me) should actually start to not begin as total losers, because once a loser, always a loser.

Edited by dspdrew, October 31 2016 - 12:27 AM.
Removed profanity

:>

#11 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted October 31 2016 - 8:04 AM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

When I recently joined the forum, I didn't let "reputation points" weigh much on my judgement of people here. I looked at it like reddit's karma system, where popular answers got points, regardless of their value or contribution to the discussion. If we want the reputation system to carry some weight, we may, as a community, police ourselves and only "like" posts that can add to the discussion or add some knowledge that is pertinent to the situation. I understand not everyone, especially new members like me, are conservative when hitting the like button, but I believe if the majority of people think before liking, the reputation system can gain some credit. An alternative is assigning a secondary system, like a simple "like" points system. If you like what they say regardless of the context you can "like" it to add a point to their like rating. If you think the comment adds to the discussion in a professional and helpful manner, you could click a reputation button to give them a reputation point. I don't know how the forum works in terms of applying new rating systems, but maybe a secondary system for more on topic contributions to discussions is appropriate. 

• T.C. likes this

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left.

-Aldo Leopold

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users