• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

2 x Queens - Ipswich QLD, 5th October 2016

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline chickenman297 - Posted October 4 2016 - 5:48 PM

chickenman297

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Queen 1

1. Location of collection: East Ipswich, QLD
2. Date of collection: 5th October 2016
3. Habitat of collection: Suburbia, pavement
4. Length (from head to gaster): Approx 6 mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Black, smooth, shiny, no patterns
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Large gaster
7. Distinguishing behavior: None
8. Nest description: Unknown, alone

Queen_2.jpg

I believe it is a tetramorium of some kind

Queen 2

1. Location of collection: East Ipswich, QLD
2. Date of collection: 5th October 2016
3. Habitat of collection: Grassland
4. Length (from head to gaster): Approx 12 mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Black, shiny, smooth
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Large thorax
7. Distinguishing behavior: None
8. Nest description: Unknown, alone

Queen_1.jpg

I believe this one is an iridomyrmex of some kind

#2 Offline Canadian anter - Posted October 4 2016 - 5:57 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
I am not sure about the first one bit I can say it is not tetramorium. The second one looks like iridomyrmex purpureus
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#3 Offline chickenman297 - Posted October 4 2016 - 6:47 PM

chickenman297

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Thanks. Perhaps the first one could be a lasius? I don't have much experience with the tetramorium and lasius queens.

As for the second one. I'm about 99% sure you're right. They are going to be interesting if I can get them founded as their primary source of food is honeydew from what I have read. I wonder if honey water or drops of honey would work as an alternative to sap sucking insects.

#4 Offline Canadian anter - Posted October 5 2016 - 1:35 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
I don't think there are lasius in Australia
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#5 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted October 5 2016 - 7:31 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

The pictures aren't really sufficient for me? But if you can get a good image of the tip of the gaster, we can at least figure out what subfamily they are in, for starters.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#6 Offline chickenman297 - Posted October 10 2016 - 12:00 AM

chickenman297

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

The pictures aren't really sufficient for me? But if you can get a good image of the tip of the gaster, we can at least figure out what subfamily they are in, for starters.

I have left them for a few days to settle down and they have started broods. In the mean time, I have captured a 3rd queen (stats the same as 1st queen, caught about 20m down the road from queen 1). I have tried to take the best close ups of their gasters as requested as well as a few other pics

Queen 1

Queen1.jpg

Queen1_2.jpg

Queen1_3.jpg

Queen1_4.jpg

Queen 2
Queen2.jpg

Queen2_2.jpg

Queen2_3.jpg

Queen2_4.jpg

Queen2_5.jpg

Queen 3
Queen3.jpg

Queen3_2.jpg

Queen3_3.jpg

Queen3_4.jpg

#7 Offline James C. Trager - Posted October 10 2016 - 7:48 AM

James C. Trager

Expert

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Queens 1 & 3 look like Iridomyrmex, possibly the same species.

Queen 2 is a ponerine ant. Clear views of the mandibular teeth, and above and side views of the petiole would be needed to ID her. 

#8 Offline chickenman297 - Posted October 11 2016 - 12:35 AM

chickenman297

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Queens 1 & 3 look like Iridomyrmex, possibly the same species.

Queen 2 is a ponerine ant. Clear views of the mandibular teeth, and above and side views of the petiole would be needed to ID her. 

Thanks everyone for your help!

Queen 1 is about 1 mm smaller than queen 3. I'm not sure if that means anything, but clearly smaller. Looking in the shoe box I have them in, it's quite distinct.

These are the best images I can come up with (so far) of queen 2's petiole and mandibles. I think the mandibles are fair, but I'll let you guys be the judge. These photographs were taken with the assistance of a magnifying glass. I wasn't sure if it would work, but the results on the mandibles are pretty good I think lol.

20161011_182237.jpg

20161011_182328.jpg

20161011_182611.jpg

Edit: Perhaps I could wait for the nanitics (correct my spelling if needed) of queen 1 and 3 to correctly ID?

Edited by chickenman297, October 11 2016 - 12:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users