• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Young Lasius Niger and hibernation?

lasius niger hibernation brood

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Offline Daves2hd - Posted October 3 2016 - 7:45 AM

Daves2hd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi everyone, I'm new here and new to the hobby. I bought and acrylic nest and a lasius queen with a few workers a few weeks ago and it's a lot of fun.

When my orders came in it was also my lucky week, a little less than two weeks ago when walking home I encountered two queens and was able to bring them home and place them in a test tube setup.

It's late in the season and to my surprise they both started laying eggs already! While I'm a happy me, my question is:

1: When hibernation comes around can I hibernate them normally with my colony? (there probably won't be any workers since all the brood is new.)

2: When they come out of hibernation do I need to take special care? (since it is a prolonged time for the queen to be without workers and food, do I feed the queen directly?)

3: My fridge goes to 8celcius as highest temp setting, is this too cold or fine for lasius nigers? 

(P.S. I plan to use the winter to build my own cement/plaster formicarium for these new queens and move them over when they start to produce more workers, having  different types of nests just seems interesting to me. If you have any tips or special things I should know about feel free to add to the topic :))

• AntswerMe likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lasius niger, hibernation, brood

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users