• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

46&2's Camponotus vicinus/modoc Journal

formicarium build camponotus formicarium

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 Offline fortysixandtwo - Posted April 15 2017 - 10:43 PM

fortysixandtwo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationNor Cal
Here you can see all the different stages the brood are at. They have now brought them all outside. Waiting on them to go back inside so I can give them dinner and put them away. Any day now ladies....

dsc00140.jpg

#62 Offline MichiganAnts - Posted April 15 2017 - 10:49 PM

MichiganAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Checked the ants today. Definitely very good progress in Camp Modoc. Now two generations of brood: new pile of eggs, and the previous eggs are now larva. Making sure they get protein with each feeding now in the form of prekilled crickets and roaches. 

Camp Vicinus, for whatever reason, the growth is stagnant. But the brood is still alive. Giving extra protein, hopefully that speeds things up.

Camp Modoc. You can see the two distinct piles of eggs and larva. Workers and queen look fat and healthy:

campmodoc415.jpg

Camp Vicinus. You can get a clear shot of the larva here, there is growth, just not much. No new eggs yet:

campvicinus415.jpg

Funny behavior observation: After adding water to the hydration tube for Camp Modoc, some water got in the nest. One worker proceeded to take all the larva out one by one, line them up, and is now thoroughly investigating them and cleaning them. Can't get the food tray back in until she brings them back inside.

In this process, I saw another worker carrying what looked like a dead worker out. Damn, lost another. Then she puts it down, and the worker gets up and starts walking around. Wtf :laughing:

that's what workers do to let others carry them. if a worker is not moving and isn't balled up, then its dead and keep updating your journal nick!

Owner of MichiganAnts, a YouTube Channel dedicated to all my Michigan colonies found and raise in my backyard

https://www.youtube.com/MichiganAnts

https://twitter.com/MichiganAnts

https://www.facebook.com/MichiganAnts/

Keeper of:

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Camponotus Noveboracensis

Tetramorium

#63 Offline fortysixandtwo - Posted April 18 2017 - 9:52 PM

fortysixandtwo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationNor Cal

Checked the ants today. Definitely very good progress in Camp Modoc. Now two generations of brood: new pile of eggs, and the previous eggs are now larva. Making sure they get protein with each feeding now in the form of prekilled crickets and roaches. 

Camp Vicinus, for whatever reason, the growth is stagnant. But the brood is still alive. Giving extra protein, hopefully that speeds things up.

Camp Modoc. You can see the two distinct piles of eggs and larva. Workers and queen look fat and healthy:

campmodoc415.jpg

Camp Vicinus. You can get a clear shot of the larva here, there is growth, just not much. No new eggs yet:

campvicinus415.jpg

Funny behavior observation: After adding water to the hydration tube for Camp Modoc, some water got in the nest. One worker proceeded to take all the larva out one by one, line them up, and is now thoroughly investigating them and cleaning them. Can't get the food tray back in until she brings them back inside.

In this process, I saw another worker carrying what looked like a dead worker out. Damn, lost another. Then she puts it down, and the worker gets up and starts walking around. Wtf :laughing:

that's what workers do to let others carry them. if a worker is not moving and isn't balled up, then its dead and keep updating your journal nick!

Haha yeah I just thought it was funny. Lazy little turd

#64 Offline fortysixandtwo - Posted April 22 2017 - 12:17 AM

fortysixandtwo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationNor Cal

Growth still seems stagnant in Camp Vicinus. Not sure why. They did appear to have eaten the crickets at least that I put in there a few days ago.

Camp Modoc on the other hand is doing great. Steady brood growth. The crickets were torn to pieces and consumed. All the fish food I put in was also consumed. For some reason the ants scattered the moss and wood chips all over the food tray and elsewhere. Not sure why.

dsc00151.jpg

#65 Offline fortysixandtwo - Posted April 26 2017 - 12:23 AM

fortysixandtwo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationNor Cal

First pupa in Camp Modoc! This colony appears to be doing well. No idea why Camp Vicinus is not showing any serious growth.

dsc00170.jpg

• T.C. and Cindy like this

#66 Offline fortysixandtwo - Posted May 1 2017 - 10:34 PM

fortysixandtwo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationNor Cal

Just caught my first carpenter queen. Looks like a Camponotus modoc?

Caught her @ 2:30 pm, full sun, about 82 F. ~3200 elevation. Outside of Nevada City, CA

modocqueen1.jpg

modocqueen2.jpg

#67 Offline fortysixandtwo - Posted May 27 2017 - 1:46 PM

fortysixandtwo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationNor Cal

Well Camp Modoc is moving along great. Should have many new workers soon.

Camp Vicinus has not made any progress. :(

Also here are all the queens I have caught so far. Believe there are two C. vicinus, one C. modoc, and one I am not sure of that is much smaller than the rest.

dsc00243.jpg

dsc00251.jpg

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#68 Offline Antking117 - Posted May 28 2017 - 12:09 AM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska, USA

Very cool, i want modoc, but unfortunately it is not in my location! Keep us posted!

#69 Offline T.C. - Posted August 22 2017 - 6:21 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Update?
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#70 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted December 2 2017 - 4:48 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Just saying that colony doesn't look like a modoc. The queens have reddish purple legs and they are a bit fatter, and the workers have shorter legs. I might be wrong, but pretty sure those aren't modoc. I mean the first colony btw.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#71 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted December 2 2017 - 6:03 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Well Camp Modoc is moving along great. Should have many new workers soon.

Camp Vicinus has not made any progress. :(

Also here are all the queens I have caught so far. Believe there are two C. vicinus, one C. modoc, and one I am not sure of that is much smaller than the rest.

dsc00243.jpg

dsc00251.jpg

The smallest queens are most likely from the sub-genus myrmentoma and are a very small Camponotus.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formicarium build, camponotus, formicarium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users