• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Craven's first colony. Pogonomyrmex occidentalis. Picture Update 05/13/2017.

journal pogonomyrmex occidentalis

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted September 30 2016 - 5:52 PM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

Started my first colony (hopefully) of Pogonomyrmex occidentalis. I caught my queen on 9/22/16 outside my work while I was preparing soil clods to be shipped for bulk density testing. She was just wandering around on the concrete, so I quickly ran inside and grabbed to only container I could find... a large plastic bag. I had just started looking into keeping ants, so my supplies where severely lacking when I caught her. I moved her into a small tupperware with a damp cotton ball and promptly order some test tubes. When they arrived, I moved her into a basic test tube set up and started looking around for help to get here IDed. Lucky I found this forum. Here are some pics of her initial set up and the ones that ultimately helped her get IDed.

3IKcTwl.jpg

XvwFmYK.jpg

LPFaZRs.jpg

EYOP1LA.jpg

After about a week with no eggs, I started getting concerned the the recent cold snap might be slowing her down so I purchased a heating cable to try to warm her up back to NV typical temps. I also starting looking around the forum and saw that lots of others supplied their POOC queens with dirt and seeds inside their test tubes. I decided it was time to give that a try, so I made a new test tube set up, gathered dirt from near by pocket gopher mounds (I assumed dirt from deeper down would be better) and some POPR and AGCR seeds. I transferred her into her new fully stocked set up and put her in my spare closet. Here are some pics (sorry for potatoes)!

CBjYwOb.jpg

Nddomf4.jpg

g6bEYIl.jpg

As you can see in the last pic, she is placed high up in a dark shoe box. Biggest challenge now is keeping myself from messing with her for at least a week. Hoping for some eggs soon!

Edited by CallMeCraven, May 13 2017 - 4:23 PM.

• Barristan likes this

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left.

-Aldo Leopold

#2 Offline Mdrogun - Posted September 30 2016 - 6:18 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

You can't force ants to not hibernate. She probably won't lay eggs until spring. I would wait a couple days to see if she lays eggs. If she doesn't I would hibernate her.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#3 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted September 30 2016 - 9:57 PM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

You can't force ants to not hibernate. She probably won't lay eggs until spring. I would wait a couple days to see if she lays eggs. If she doesn't I would hibernate her.

I understand, I am just to cheap to heat my house in the summer/early fall and we are kind of going through unseasonal cold fronts. I'm just trying to keep her at normal northern Nevada temps this time of year without turning my furnace on :D.

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left.

-Aldo Leopold

#4 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted October 3 2016 - 6:42 PM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

Update for 10/3/2016

I know this is pretty early for an update but what can I say, I am excited. I haven't touched this queen since 9/30, so I decided to do a quick sneak peak on her. She has carved a small pocket in the supplied dirt, and even buried the supplied grass seed. She appears to have stuck a layer of dirt against the cotton ball that is holding back the water, perhaps to reduce the humidity in her newly created chamber? I thought I spotted an egg, but it turned out to be just a speck of white sand. The excitement got to me again! She appears much happier with the new test tube over the old plain jane one, so my hopes remain high that she may start producing soon. Now that I know she is okay, I should be able to hold myself off of checking her for another week. I didn't take any pics of her this time around to avoid stressing her to much. Hopefully next update will have some good news that I have a better reason to take pics of! 

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

-Aldo Leopold

#5 Offline sgheaton - Posted October 4 2016 - 5:56 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Sorry to jack into this conversation but I'm curious as I can somewhat relate. I've got a solo Pogonomyrmex queen. Basically have had her in a container by herself entirely too long. Bought uncle miltons farm and gave it to her. She immediately started to power dig..though she became separated from her egg grouping and I don't think that she's laid anymore since then...

This has all been over the summer. I realized I just wanted to see tunnels so I added the queen before I probably should have. Actually that I know -- but I realized I could extract the queen and start over....next year. 

Because she hasn't....well done anything really except dig... would it be a better course of action to hibernate this queen and try again next year? Considering I probably won't get nanitics from her this year, yadda yadda

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#6 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted October 4 2016 - 7:03 AM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

Sorry to jack into this conversation but I'm curious as I can somewhat relate. I've got a solo Pogonomyrmex queen. Basically have had her in a container by herself entirely too long. Bought uncle miltons farm and gave it to her. She immediately started to power dig..though she became separated from her egg grouping and I don't think that she's laid anymore since then...

This has all been over the summer. I realized I just wanted to see tunnels so I added the queen before I probably should have. Actually that I know -- but I realized I could extract the queen and start over....next year. 

Because she hasn't....well done anything really except dig... would it be a better course of action to hibernate this queen and try again next year? Considering I probably won't get nanitics from her this year, yadda yadda

I would double check that she hasn't started a new brood. I imagine Colorado is starting to get cold, like it is here in northern Nevada (I am from Montana so I am familiar with Rocky Mountain Falls). If she hasn't started to lay new eggs, I would exfiltrate  her into a test tube setup with some sand and water and start the hibernation process. 

I plan to start hibernating my Pogonomyrmex queen in November by putting her in my fridge (without telling the wife of course :P) and maybe sooner if she decides all she needs to do this next couple weeks is dig a little cave for herself. I am hoping for eggs but at this point, and with the variable shifts in temps outside, I realize she may be ready for a long nap, to my dismay.

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

-Aldo Leopold

#7 Offline sgheaton - Posted October 4 2016 - 7:17 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Yeahh.....that's just it. I haven't seen much brood from her yet that I feel as though the big sleep needs to come before the big lay. I figure I'll downgrade(?) her into a tuppaware container for winter -- meaning I'll obtain her from the farm and tunneling she's been working so hard on. 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#8 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted October 4 2016 - 7:35 AM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

Yeahh.....that's just it. I haven't seen much brood from her yet that I feel as though the big sleep needs to come before the big lay. I figure I'll downgrade(?) her into a tuppaware container for winter -- meaning I'll obtain her from the farm and tunneling she's been working so hard on. 

Sounds like a plan to me. Just remember to keep water available to her and also check temps on the regular to make sure you don't freeze her. I would also suggest keeping her in the smaller container until she gets a few workers going (hopefully next spring  :thinking:) to try to simulate a natural claustral cell where she will feel safe to raise a brood. But hey, I am new and these are just suggestions I have picked up from some research. Do whatever works for you!

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

-Aldo Leopold

#9 Offline sgheaton - Posted October 4 2016 - 7:42 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Well then I will impart my fantastical wisdom of my one year of anting onto you!

Adult beverages will only exacerbate any impatient feelings you have.

#10 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted October 4 2016 - 8:17 AM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

Well then I will impart my fantastical wisdom of my one year of anting onto you!

Adult beverages will only exacerbate any impatient feelings you have.

LOL  :lol: . Good to know, I'll try to keep the beers to a minimum. Luckily I saved a kitten from the middle of a highway, and he has been helping to distract me from being a peeping tom on my queen.

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

-Aldo Leopold

#11 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted October 9 2016 - 9:50 AM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

Update 10/9

I decided the check on my Pogonomyrmex queen this morning as I was doing chores around the house. Her little cave that she made for herself appears to collapsed, with no harm her. There where no apparent eggs, and she was pretty lazy about moving around the test tube. I think its time to start seriously looking into getting her ready for hibernation and hope for better luck in the spring. 

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

-Aldo Leopold

#12 Offline sgheaton - Posted October 10 2016 - 5:54 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I'm in the same boat. I'm not sure what I'm even doing to this queen. Giving her a conditional training of just practicing to dig and being solo for the winter is what!!! 

#13 Offline XZero38 - Posted October 10 2016 - 1:12 PM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

My Pogonomyrmex queen has started to slow down on the brood production despite the fact that the workers happily take any crickets i give them.

#14 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted October 16 2016 - 12:21 PM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

Checked on her this morning. She is still alive and doing well. She did not rebuild her little cave against the cotton ball, and still has no eggs  :( . Her new thermometer is on the way so I can verify my fridge won't freeze her, then its in she goes for the winter. Hopefully next spring I will become a happy ant daddy. I will also be on the lookout for new queens. O so much anticipation for spring :D.

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

-Aldo Leopold

#15 Offline MichiganAnts - Posted October 16 2016 - 7:00 PM

MichiganAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationMichigan

keep up the work craven. i know the feeling. if you get bored and want to seek out hunting ants in the wild go ahead. its what i did and now i have 3 queens all hibernating and ready for summer

• CallMeCraven likes this

Owner of MichiganAnts, a YouTube Channel dedicated to all my Michigan colonies found and raise in my backyard

https://www.youtube.com/MichiganAnts

https://twitter.com/MichiganAnts

https://www.facebook.com/MichiganAnts/

Keeper of:

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Camponotus Noveboracensis

Tetramorium

#16 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted October 16 2016 - 10:28 PM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

keep up the work craven. i know the feeling. if you get bored and want to seek out hunting ants in the wild go ahead. its what i did and now i have 3 queens all hibernating and ready for summer

Thanks. Unfortunately it is dumping cold rain where I am and it's not looking like we are going to get any more warm days. My field season at work is coming to an end as well. Lately I have been prodding some existing POOC hills in sites where I am working in hopes of seeing a queen but I can bring myself to dig up a whole nest for my selfish needs. I'll just jump back on the wagon next spring.

Edited by CallMeCraven, October 16 2016 - 10:29 PM.

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

-Aldo Leopold

#17 Offline MichiganAnts - Posted October 17 2016 - 1:50 PM

MichiganAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationMichigan

and for me its a hot 74F and I'm out ant hunting in the fall in Michigan. you can always look for other species in fallen trees and such. its what i do

Owner of MichiganAnts, a YouTube Channel dedicated to all my Michigan colonies found and raise in my backyard

https://www.youtube.com/MichiganAnts

https://twitter.com/MichiganAnts

https://www.facebook.com/MichiganAnts/

Keeper of:

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Camponotus Noveboracensis

Tetramorium

#18 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted November 12 2016 - 2:02 PM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

*Update 11/12/16*

I checked up on her during the course do doing chores. There has been no change with her. However, the seeds I supplied her in case she decided to eat started to germinate! Little Poa pratensis shoots everywhere. This discovery, and her dropping water supply prompted me to move her into a new test tube set up w/o any substrate. I did include some wild Taraxacum officinale seeds with her in case the mood struck and she wanted a nibble. I also removed the heating cord from her shoe box and moved her into the hibernation area. Hopefully come spring, I will be a happy ant dad!

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

-Aldo Leopold

#19 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted December 10 2016 - 11:29 AM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

*Update 12/10/2016*

She is handling hibernation well. I have been checking on her on a weekly basis and she has been resting in the same spot every time. Initially I was worried that she had died but then she gave me a reassuring twitch of her antennae. Last week I thought I saw her first egg, but upon further inspection today, the small white speck has yellowed and I believe it to be refuse. I plan on giving her a drop of honey water and seeing how she takes it, but that will have to wait for next months update :D.

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

-Aldo Leopold

#20 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted March 4 2017 - 7:43 PM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

*Update 03/04/2017*

She is awake and ready to go! Today when I checked on her she was furiously pulling on the cotton balls within her test tube. Since the water in her tube was just about out, I pulled the cotton plug off her tube and set her in a container with a new tube. Since she still has not produced eggs or eaten any of the seeds I provided in her tube, I chopped up some of my hedgehogs mealworms and offered them to her on a silver platter (aluminum foil) while she was deciding to move. However, when I observed her approaching the mealworm chunks, she withdrew in fear and turned and ran with her gaster between her legs. I let her continue to explore the container for about an hour before i forced her into the new tube. I dusted off her heating cable, and put it and her back into her shoe box... Lets hope for eggs soon now that she is warming up. I also need to find different seeds to try to appease her.

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

-Aldo Leopold

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: journal, pogonomyrmex, occidentalis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users