• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

New here

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mathiacus - Posted June 8 2014 - 6:57 PM

Mathiacus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia
Hello from nsw Australia!
I tried that antdudes forum a while ago but he was intolerable (I have rage issues) anyway.. I housed a colony of captured sugar ants (Camponotus consobrinus if wikipedia is to be believed) they were only workers and I had them in an upright formicarium that I built so I could watch them dig. It was an eye opening experience! After 3 months I decided to let the remaining ones go back to the wild (tests proved that they were too long gone from the original nest to be accepted). It is unfortunate that they will roam and die but it is better that they are free for a brief time.
My wife and I went to the evil bunnings and picked up some ytong bricks and spent about 4 hours chiselling them out yesterday. They are not ready yet but I am still waiting to see if my captured queens are viable. I will post pics when I get home and have a chance to work this forum thing out.
Looking forward to learning from you guys and sharing my anting experiences with all who are interested.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

#2 Offline LAnt - Posted June 8 2014 - 7:10 PM

LAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

What queens do you have?

#3 Offline Mathiacus - Posted June 8 2014 - 8:20 PM

Mathiacus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia
I am sorry, I do not have a positive id yet. They are the medium sized black ones. From my reading I have concluded that the chance of them actually being viable is low. My son and I found them swarming a power pole so we got a container and scooped up a bunch of the males, females and some workers. They had not flown yet and I did not know that most only mate 'on the wing'. I will give them a few months in the uncle milton style formicarium before I give up on them. The workers are taking care of the queens quite well and all the males (drones?) Have dropped dead (I think is a good sign) so I'm not about to fix what is not broken.

I will attempt to upload a bunch of pics tonight.

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 8 2014 - 11:00 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Welcome. :)

#5 Offline Mathiacus - Posted June 9 2014 - 12:29 AM

Mathiacus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image this final one is one of the workers near the dismembered gaster of the alien queen (noob mistake)

#6 Offline Mathiacus - Posted June 9 2014 - 12:34 AM

Mathiacus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia
My initial project with my banded sugar ants Posted Image

This is one I built as a present for a matePosted Image

Pulling apart the uncle milton style to condense them into one nestPosted ImagePosted Image

The result of 4 hours of digging with screwdriversPosted Image

#7 Offline Crystals - Posted June 9 2014 - 6:39 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Welcome!

Nice to know your wife also supports your new hobby.  :D

I have no knowledge of Australian ants, so I am more or less useless in helping you ID them.  :D

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users