• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Count editing posts as new posts

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Poll: Should editing posts count as new posts? (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Should editing posts count as new posts?

1. Of course! (3 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

2. I don't care/"Stop that!""it's silly" (3 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. No (9 votes [60.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Offline Canadian anter - Posted September 11 2016 - 9:35 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
I mean on the new posts board on the side, this would really help in the market place.
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted September 12 2016 - 1:32 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Hmm...interesting thought.  I think what you mean to ask, is whether editing a post should bump it.

While I agree this could be useful, I also think that without a high level of customization, allowing users to bump their own posts through editing could also be abused, as was the case on Yuku.

• dermy and Batspiderfish like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline Kevin - Posted September 12 2016 - 3:05 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey
Its a good idea but could be abused. Maybe have a 24 or 48 hour timout between editing bumps, but then editing a regular post would cause you to use it up for a bump. A better idea would be a bump thread button on top of your threads.
  • Canadian anter likes this

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#4 Offline sgheaton - Posted September 12 2016 - 5:15 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I know I personally have used an editing of a post as "my journal entry" for the day. This didn't (bump) my post to the top -- which I'm perfectly fine with. If someone is interested in my journals, they know how to find them or ask me a question if really needed. Otherwise the "journal postings" are a documentation of the life of my ants I've capture for the 2016 year. 

I've also hit enter (sometimes accidentally) and have had to edit my posts right then (testing picture links and all that...) If that counts as a double posting - that'd be wrong. Like Kevin said, it could be abused if someone really was after getting "points" or whatever. I'm also assuming that as ant keepers, we've put our crazy focus and cares onto ants instead of superficial rankings amount strangers. That being said, I'm a scared(?) monkey in a sweater and enjoy it way more than I was expecting. 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 12 2016 - 5:35 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Hmm...interesting thought.  I think what you mean to ask, is whether editing a post should bump it.

While I agree this could be useful, I also think that without a high level of customization, allowing users to bump their own posts through editing could also be abused, as was the case on Yuku.

Exactly. Most forums do not behave this way. I have seen some that do, and Yuku was one of them. This would totally be abused and I think would be the source of a lot of annoyingness. Like someone mentioned, a bump button (which the mods actually already have) would make more sense, but of course would be even more likely to be abused.

#6 Offline Alza - Posted September 12 2016 - 6:06 AM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

I don't like it, sorry.

#7 Offline Canadian anter - Posted September 12 2016 - 12:12 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members