• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Noebl1's Tetramorium Sp. E - Updated 5/24/2018 - Lost

tetramorium

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Offline noebl1 - Posted September 5 2016 - 8:55 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

09/05/2016

A friend gave me several Tetramorium Sp. E from his pool on 7/1/2016, of the 12 of so he gave me, 8 of them were fertile.  Gave some of them away to another member here, and have kept three for now, and probably be pairing it down to 1 or 2 this Fall or Spring giving to another member.  Each colony has about 12 workers, and another dozen or so larvae plus countless eggs.  Growing fast, and amazing how these species will eat just about anything, though disliked skippy peanut butter  :blink:

Currently designing a formicarium for them, and hope to get this printed soon (waiting for some parts from the container store.)    Underneath in the currently open area will add mesh screen, and then underneath will have a container with water and a replaceable sponge for humidity.  Looking at using these: http://www.container...ductId=10018271

Top left hole large enough for a 17mm test tube, upper right and lower left for .5" vinyl tubing.   I had original looked at a more module design where I could slide larger holes in and out, but was becoming a pain to get everything to print nicely enough for that to work as I hoped, so made it a bit simplier with common sized holes.  I may still change the 17mm hole to just another .5" tube and use an adapter for the tube... not sure yet.  Size is about 3x4", so enough to get them going.  Kept main tunnels around 4-5mm so queen can fit thru, but smaller ones closer to about 3mm as read they prefer narrow openings. Notches on top are so I can fit a screwdriver in to pry up the glass if I need to. If anyone is interested, I can post the STLs when I'm done.  I had to use an svg drawing tool to export/import to get a less uniform look of the chambers or else it looked like weird pods...  still not perfect, but will get the job done. Hoping to maybe reuse some of this design for Lasius.

2XviVmIGps3qIEhcchTCWExogQ4OreNaoktaYJkMi_VhHO1OjiiUCw0GnSYu1LssyTJO4z1fdzapd2_Y

Edited by noebl1, May 24 2018 - 3:37 PM.

• cazantyl and akaant like this

#2 Offline noebl1 - Posted September 11 2016 - 9:30 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Next batch have started to eclose the last day or two, and many still a yellowish-brown color until they change black.  Hoping to get thru this hibernation season in a test tube with them, but getting harder as they are pretty quick, so feeding can be a challenge :)

Update on formicarium... got the glass pieces for the top that are 4x3"...  didn't hit me how small they are until I had them in hand, hehe.  Guess once I get these printed in place, time to start looking at a 4x6 for next season.   Order from The Container Store *finally* shipped today after a week, so a bit behind on this as a result.

Edited by noebl1, September 11 2016 - 9:31 AM.

#3 Offline Shareallicu - Posted September 12 2016 - 1:22 PM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

What 3d printer are you using?  I have been considering buying one to make my own formicarium too!   I am currently making one out of grout.

#4 Offline noebl1 - Posted September 12 2016 - 2:24 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

I've got a heavily modified Solidoodle 3 (now out of business.)  I'm considering building a D-Bot Core-XY 3D so it's a bit bigger.  Right now I'm limited to 8x8x8, but wouldn't mind something larger for this and other things :) 

#5 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted September 12 2016 - 4:34 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Rep-raps are worth looking into! They are probably the cheapest 3d printers out there (and open-source, so you can theoretically print out most of the parts required to make another one). They just require some technical/mechanical/troubleshooting skills to get them put together and running well. I have a Mendel i3 made of steel, that I got from Makerfront. Honestly, I was intimidated a little by the plastic versions, so I spent a little extra, $500 on this metal version. I'm very happy with it.

The nest looks great, by the way! I know what I'm going to be doing while my ants hibernate!

Edited by Batspiderfish, September 12 2016 - 4:38 PM.

• noebl1 likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#6 Offline Shareallicu - Posted September 12 2016 - 8:26 PM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

wow! 8x8x8 is actually big!  The cheaper 3d printers I have been looking at are 4x4x4 or so.  But I am poor so I have to buy an economical one hehe

#7 Offline noebl1 - Posted September 13 2016 - 3:54 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

wow! 8x8x8 is actually big!  The cheaper 3d printers I have been looking at are 4x4x4 or so.  But I am poor so I have to buy an economical one hehe

My wife would kill me if i bought one to :)  I did some work for a friend, and he gave me the printer in payment.  I've since modified to work better as time goes on.  Mine isn't perfect, either, still in a perpetual state of upgrades until I'm finally "happy" with it... Also once you get one printer, as @batspiderfish mentions, easier to build more :)  Repraps are great printers, can't go wrong.  

#8 Offline noebl1 - Posted September 16 2016 - 5:41 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

More workers still eclosing... so getting harder and harder to feed them while avoid escapees.  Was printing out my version of the AC Test Tube portal today, after 2.5 hours had 12 mins left and the Raspberry Pi rebooted that was controlling it... sigh.  However if any good came from it, I was able to test fit a bit, and needed to adjust the hole width a bit for 1/2" tubing to be a bit tighter.  However overall pretty happy with it and the 15% infill seems like should be plenty.  Will be a lot easier to feed with that so looking forward to it.  I'll take some pics when I'm done. 

#9 Offline noebl1 - Posted September 25 2016 - 2:24 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Got my AC Test Tube Portal clone done as in a bind, and they've been out of them for awhile.  Took about 3hrs to print including the top.  Right now working out the stoppers for the holes without test tubes.  One challenge I ran into... I ordered 16mm plastic test tubes, and got 16mm and 17mm from the same vendor, so that's annoying.  I got a ton of 16mm glass test tubes now as well, however they are closer to 15.75mm... Why can't anyone actually keep a standard size ;)  Couple more of these, and should be all set for the season.

Zo8_rqA9SvWmB7Cu6iUa4hzoXwoeK79bqnzGZyCP

Edited by noebl1, September 25 2016 - 3:25 PM.

#10 Offline noebl1 - Posted October 1 2016 - 6:29 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Busy weekend with the printer!  Killed the battery in my digital calipers though  :(   However have three test tube portals printed and ready to go tomorrow.  Also have figured out how to  deal with the expansion holes when not in use with tubes or vinyl tubing; created stoppers.  They essentially slide into 1/2" vinyl, and sit flush or so with the inside.  Even if the ants could squeeze around the small gap on the inside, the vinyl tubing fills the rest of the gap, so in theory should not be able to fit thru.  Also why the square ends?  Well they fit snug enough it's much easier to get off with pliers.  Hoping to move the tetramorium in tomorrow as will be a lot easier to feed.  Planning on leaving them in these over the winter hibernation as well.

2kbXOJmQylF8i-QGePMC9B2IhOLUV7VF0agzO10X

KGu_NA8tMJnnxNZOMlK_sj3T0HysAcpshIj07n-w

Edited by noebl1, October 1 2016 - 6:31 PM.

• T.C. and antgenius123 like this

#11 Offline noebl1 - Posted October 23 2016 - 3:27 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

They are still pretty active, however ignoring most sweet stuff at this point and going for protein.  Inadvertently tossed out the frozen mealworms I had... so until I get to the pet store, using some chicken from tonight.  Fattening up for hibernation.

IMG 3616

IMG 3613
IMG 3622
IMG 3617

#12 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted October 23 2016 - 6:09 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado
Lol chicken!

YJK

#13 Offline noebl1 - Posted October 23 2016 - 6:19 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Lol chicken!

Pretty good chicken too as just came off the smoker ;)  Hopefully can pick up some mealworms this week for something a bit more normal.  Nice thing about tetramorium is they will eat pretty much anything.

Edited by noebl1, October 23 2016 - 6:20 PM.

#14 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted October 23 2016 - 6:56 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Lol chicken!

Pretty good chicken too as just came off the smoker ;) Hopefully can pick up some mealworms this week for something a bit more normal. Nice thing about tetramorium is they will eat pretty much anything.
Cool beans

YJK

#15 Offline noebl1 - Posted October 28 2016 - 3:02 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

No signs of slowing yet, still very very active and see them foraging more often.  Taking in lots of protein and little interest in sugary things at this point.  Looks like another set of workers eclosed this week and noticed a handful now have a pretty noticeable size jump over the nanitics and 2nd batch (think this is the 3rd or 4th.)  

One of the 3 colonies just today after about 3 weeks discovered the 2nd test tube and actively investigating it... wonder if they are keeping tabs on the second source of water or considering a move.  

Going to try to stick to my 11/1 hibernation date... but going to miss watching them.

#16 Offline MichiganAnts - Posted October 28 2016 - 5:40 PM

MichiganAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationMichigan

keep updating this! i love Camponotus and I'm considering trying pavement ants

Owner of MichiganAnts, a YouTube Channel dedicated to all my Michigan colonies found and raise in my backyard

https://www.youtube.com/MichiganAnts

https://twitter.com/MichiganAnts

https://www.facebook.com/MichiganAnts/

Keeper of:

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Camponotus Noveboracensis

Tetramorium

#17 Offline noebl1 - Posted October 28 2016 - 6:26 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

keep updating this! i love Camponotus and I'm considering trying pavement ants

Will do, though guessing will get quiet for a bit as I hibernate them. :(  Though does give me some time to start printing some formicariums for the Spring.  I went with 1/2" tubing for most of my designs, but starting to wonder since these are so small if I should go another size down... 

I actually prefer them over Camponotus as pretty easy to manage due to their size.  They aren't nearly as picky about their food, grow pretty fast, and I believe tolerate dryer nest conditions.  It's hard to get a good count at this point, but even with minimal intervention, they seem to do well.  I can understand how it's believed they stowed away a couple hundred years ago and adapted really well when they got here.

#18 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted October 29 2016 - 5:48 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

No signs of slowing yet, still very very active and see them foraging more often. Taking in lots of protein and little interest in sugary things at this point. Looks like another set of workers eclosed this week and noticed a handful now have a pretty noticeable size jump over the nanitics and 2nd batch (think this is the 3rd or 4th.)

One of the 3 colonies just today after about 3 weeks discovered the 2nd test tube and actively investigating it... wonder if they are keeping tabs on the second source of water or considering a move.

Going to try to stick to my 11/1 hibernation date... but going to miss watching them.

Mine are so slow, and they won't come in the outworld. Hibernating them soon.

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#19 Offline noebl1 - Posted October 30 2016 - 3:14 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

It never ceases to amaze me how small they are.  Threw in a piece of dehydrated pineapple I was having, and even though I swear I'm cutting up the tiniest pieces for them, it still dwarfs them ;)   Never ceases to amaze me how fast they start feeding when I drop the pieces in.

I also figured out I'm going to go with the 1/4" ID vinyl tubing for them; the 3/8" OD fits perfecting into the 1/2" OD x 3/8" ID tubing.   I was considering going down to 1/8" ID, which I'm sure is fine for workers, but worried about blockages and such with dragged food.

Lifted the lid to check them out, and noticed one of them definitely has a good 15+ larvae in a nice little pile they moved in the last day or too.  Starting to wonder if I should delay hibernation a few days more.

#20 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted October 30 2016 - 10:38 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Do you have the file link that you can post here?

:>

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tetramorium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users