• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Pogonomyrmex californicus (bicolor) Journal [160] (Discontinued)

pogonomyrmex californicus dspdrew journal mojave desert california harvester ants

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#101 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 4 2017 - 12:03 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 4-4-2017

It looks like these guys might be completely moved into their new home soon; I saw them moving food and brood. Once I get the entire colony into the vase, I'm planning to sell it.

#102 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 27 2017 - 11:35 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 4-28-2017

I sold this colony to SoySauce. I've always wanted the bicolor variety, but these were not completely pure bicolor variety. They were found in Palmdale, CA, an area close to where the all-red variety could be found, so I'm pretty sure they are slightly mixed. They did not act as wasp-like as the ones much deeper in the desert. They are slightly smaller than them, and their gasters were not completely black either. I figured if my goal is to get a colony of the pure bicolor variety, there's no point keeping these. I have enough colonies to take care of anyway.

• Martialis likes this

#103 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted December 15 2017 - 1:06 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Do you remember where in Palmdale you caught these queens? I'm planning on making a trip to that area during their nuptial flights.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#104 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 15 2017 - 1:16 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

They're pretty much everywhere in that area. I found these right off the 18, but there's really no need to go to that exact spot; you'll want to go wherever it rains.

#105 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted December 19 2017 - 4:09 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Update 3-8-2017

It's only been a couple of days, and they've already dug this much.

med_gallery_2_205_165806.jpg

Wait a second. That's a huge difference. There are two cylinders, one with your Pogonomyrmex and one from a mystery species. The mystery ant cylinder is so much clearer and easier to view. Have you seen a difference between visibility and species? If so could you comment on species and visibility. That would be very helpful as I like how easy it is to see the mystery species but hate the difficulty I have trying to spot your Pogonomyrmex ants. I would like to keep ants that are easier to view in natural nests, as those types of nests are the best.

#106 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 20 2017 - 12:02 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Wait a second. That's a huge difference. There are two cylinders, one with your pogo and one from a mystery species. The mystery ant cylinder is so much clearer and easier to view. Have you seen a difference between visibility and species? If so could you comment on species and visibility. That would be very helpful as I like how easy it is to see the mystery species but hate the difficulty I have trying to spot your pogo ants. I would like to keep ants that are easier to view in natural nests, as those types of nests are the best.

The other one has Myrmecocystus mexicanus in it.

#107 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 26 2019 - 2:54 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 5-26-2019

Well it's been a while since I had a colony of these. I knew the conditions were perfect for these to fly out near Calico close to Barstow yesterday, so I drove all the way out there to look for some. It didn't take long before I found them in the process of digging their nests. Some were already closed up, so I assume those probably flew the day before.

gallery_2_205_1130869.jpg

gallery_2_205_251718.jpg

I was hoping to find the more "purebred" bicolor variety, but looking at the queens and some of the workers I saw running around there, I can see they weren't quite as large and wasp-like, and their gasters weren't 100% black. I'm now starting to realize the ones I want all seem to be closer to Arizona, like anywhere east of Palm Springs. Some day I will get them. :)

For now, I think I will start another colony of these. I only collected about 30 of them, mainly because I'm out of Dirt Box formicariums, and those seem to be the only things I have that this species does any good in. Never the less, I'm still going to try alternative setups again.

I put six of them in the six vacant Dirt Box formicariums I had, six of them in my little starter formicariums, and the rest in test tubes with dirt added.
  • dermy and rbarreto like this

#108 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 5 2019 - 8:24 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 6-5-2019

I found another two of these out in Landers, CA the other day, since they flew out there the day before. I noticed the two queens I got still had some red on their gasters, but less than any of the queens from Calico. It almost seems like the further east you go, the larger and more wasp-like they are, and the more purely black the gaster is and red the rest of them are.

So far of all these queens, not a single one in the test tubes has laid any eggs, but every one I put in a formicarium has a big pile of eggs, probably 40 or so. Because of this, I put a few more of these in my small starter formicariums.

• Martialis and TennesseeAnts like this

#109 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 5 2019 - 9:20 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
These are beautiful! I want one so bad now... :lol:

#110 Offline Alacom - Posted June 24 2019 - 9:30 PM

Alacom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
I just caught one of these in a pool and I’m trying to feed her seeds from a mix-seed bird bar. So far she only shows interest in killing the cotton lol. I don’t have much space available in my garage for another Queen since I already have 4 colonies, so I’m wondering what I should do with her. Any ideas?

#111 Offline Alacom - Posted June 25 2019 - 1:26 PM

Alacom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
Oof I just scared her whilst feeding a different queen and her new workers, causing her to immediately devour the two eggs she just laid.

#112 Offline FSTP - Posted July 4 2019 - 4:38 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

a monthly update ?

#113 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 13 2019 - 2:03 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 7-13-2019

Many of these colonies got their first workers about two weeks ago.

#114 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 4 2019 - 12:50 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 8-4-2019

These colonies are doing fairly well. On average they have about five workers, with the largest colony having 17 workers. That large colony also has a lot more brood than most of the others too.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#115 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted October 26 2019 - 4:23 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Update?
  • shadowroamer likes this

#116 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 7 2019 - 8:26 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 11-7-2019

These have done amazingly well. I've sold a few of them, and for now have decided to keep the three largest for myself. Worker counts are 40, 100, and 100. The two with 100 workers I just recently moved into my large starter formicariums.

gallery_2_205_339640.jpg

gallery_2_205_1866596.jpg

Can you tell what their favorite seeds are?

Apparently Poppy seeds and Amaranth. :P

gallery_2_205_1234535.jpg

#117 Offline ponerinecat - Posted November 7 2019 - 9:25 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

that queen is beautiful, the gaster is reminiscent of S. richteri

#118 Offline Broncos - Posted November 24 2019 - 9:31 AM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationOrange, California
How do these guys do in a tubs and tubes setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Californicus Bicolor & Concolor

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

Youtube:https://www.youtube....-ants-tutorials

#119 Offline FSTP - Posted November 24 2019 - 1:54 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

How do these guys do in a tubs and tubes setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my experience they seem to do just ok. From this year I had half my queuens in dirt setups and the other half in T&T set ups and while they all produced and grew the ones I had in dirt setups grew in numbers much much faster. While the T&T ones increased in worker numbers at about half the rate of the dirt ones. Right now I'm in the midst of moving my T&T colonies to dirt setups to see if they will speed up in growth. These are queens all from t he same location, for what its worth.

• Broncos likes this

#120 Offline Karma - Posted November 24 2019 - 3:24 PM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationCanada

Sorry if you get this question a lot Drew but where do you get those containers?

Edited by Karma, November 24 2019 - 3:24 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pogonomyrmex californicus, dspdrew, journal, mojave desert, california, harvester ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users