• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Pogonomyrmex californicus (bicolor) Journal [160] (Discontinued)

pogonomyrmex californicus dspdrew journal mojave desert california harvester ants

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#21 Offline LAnt - Posted July 1 2014 - 9:37 PM

LAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

very jealous :dash:

• SirAnticus likes this

#22 Online dspdrew - Posted July 8 2014 - 11:29 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 7-9-2014

I moved the largest colony, the one with eight workers, into a foraging container. I poured a little sand in it and sprinkled a bunch of different seeds on top.

gallery_2_205_80352.jpg

gallery_2_205_119413.jpg

• Gregory2455 likes this

#23 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted July 8 2014 - 11:44 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Caught another P.californicus queen today while she was foraging! I hope I can get at least one to be as good as this...

What size test tubes do you use?

What kind of seeds do you use? Still the bluegrass?

#24 Online dspdrew - Posted July 9 2014 - 12:08 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I use 16mm x 150mm test tubes. The grass seeds I'm using now I think are Anthoxanthum occidentale, but I'm not sure. I haven't been using those Blue Grass seeds lately. Yeah, finding Pogonomyrmex is really pretty easy because they're always out foraging. Did you find one of the bicolor P. californicus, or the concolorous ones?

#25 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted July 9 2014 - 11:39 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Yes she was concolorous, both of them are. 

Edited by Gregory2455, July 9 2014 - 11:40 AM.

#26 Offline LAnt - Posted July 9 2014 - 4:20 PM

LAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Gregory, is this in the same area as Andrew's find

Edited by LAnt, July 9 2014 - 4:30 PM.

#27 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted July 9 2014 - 10:31 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Gregory, is this in the same area as Andrew's find

No, It was in the Santa Susana mountains just southeast of Simi Valley, CA. Pretty close to the Santa Susana Pass State Historic Park.

Edited by Gregory2455, July 9 2014 - 10:44 PM.

#28 Online dspdrew - Posted October 2 2014 - 8:58 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 10-2-2014

The colony I moved into the foraging container got up to about 30 workers, but started losing them faster than they were being produced. I cannot figure out why, so I took two more of my largest colonies from the test tubes which seem to all be doing great for the most part, and moved them into foraging containers as well. I'll see how well these do, and if they have problems, then I will need to figure out exactly what is wrong with their environment.

One of the colonies in the jars died. The remaining two seem to be doing great. I see quite a few workers out every day, and I can always, barely make out a very large pile of brood down inside the nests.

#29 Offline Tpro4 - Posted October 2 2014 - 9:13 PM

Tpro4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hills, CA
If you want I could help you out with a colony. :lol: no seriously

Btw how to add the thingy at the bottom like Greg with the thank you Thingie?
Remember Dragon Warrior, anything is possible when you have inner peace. - Master Shifu

Current Queens:
1 Unknown Pogomyemex
1 Solenopsis Xyloni

#30 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 2 2014 - 9:14 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

That is the signature Tpro, you can edit it by going into your profile.

#31 Offline Tpro4 - Posted October 2 2014 - 9:29 PM

Tpro4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hills, CA
Okay shank you
Remember Dragon Warrior, anything is possible when you have inner peace. - Master Shifu

Current Queens:
1 Unknown Pogomyemex
1 Solenopsis Xyloni

#32 Online dspdrew - Posted October 10 2014 - 9:07 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 10-10-2014

The first colony in the foraging container is still losing workers, while the two new ones I setup a week ago have only lost one worker each. The rest of the colonies living in test tubes only, all seem to be rapidly losing workers now. Since most of their test tubes were getting low on water, I setup fresh new test tubes for all of them.

#33 Online dspdrew - Posted December 28 2014 - 2:42 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 12-28-2014

I am now down to five colonies: two in jars, and three in foraging containers. some colonies have done pretty well in the foraging containers, and some, not so much. Right now, one colony has about 18 workers, another has around 30, and the third has 150. The colony with 150 workers has been my best colony, so every time a queen would die, I would give them her brood. I also was given quite a bit of brood by Chromerust when one of his queens died. This colony must be doing pretty well though, because i know at least around 60 of those workers came from their queen. They have quite a few full-sized workers now too.

med_gallery_2_205_331080.jpg

The colonies in the jars are doing great. I have no idea how many workers they both have, but I estimate somewhere around 50 each. The jars they're in are all cracked and getting worse all the time. I put way too much Hydrostone in the bottoms of them, and it has expanded quite a bit, causing them to split.

med_gallery_2_205_730530.jpg

I created a little square antfarm style formicarium for each of them, in hopes that I can get them to move in and I can throw these broken up jars away.

med_gallery_2_295_497600.jpg

I connected them to the jars with some vinyl tubing and put heat pads under the jars to help dry them out. Hopefully once they're completely dry, the ants will decide to make a new home in the more moist dirt of the new formicarium.

med_gallery_2_205_484855.jpg

med_gallery_2_205_68817.jpg

med_gallery_2_205_697878.jpg

One colony is already very busy digging a new nest.

#34 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 28 2014 - 3:01 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

What tool do you use to cut the holes in the lids?

And won't the heat under the jar have the unintended effect of keeping the old nest warm and moist, given that there is not adequate ventilation to dry it out?

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#35 Online dspdrew - Posted December 28 2014 - 3:38 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I cut out the tops using a table saw and a drill press. The lids on the jars are actually off now.

#36 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 28 2014 - 4:01 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I just wish there was some way to reduce the amount of small particles that end up caked on the viewing surface, without increasing the risk of cave-ins.  

Dirt nests just seem...dirty, to me.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#37 Online dspdrew - Posted December 28 2014 - 5:05 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah, that was part of the reason I made this. I want to start trying different ways to let the ants dig while still having a clear view of them. This is definitely not one of those ways.

#38 Offline LAnt - Posted December 28 2014 - 9:32 PM

LAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
Do you use a heat lamp or mat generally because now its getting quite cold.

#39 Online dspdrew - Posted December 28 2014 - 10:04 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

No. It is getting cold outside, but it should not normally be that cold inside your house unless your roof is missing or something. I have been keeping my apartment cooler than normal now that it's winter time to give my pets a more natural environment.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#40 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 28 2014 - 10:08 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Drew, you should have tried an agar-based setup :~P

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pogonomyrmex californicus, dspdrew, journal, mojave desert, california, harvester ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users