• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What ants do you want??

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Canadian anter - Posted August 22 2016 - 2:11 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
What ants do you want?...
I guess you can put the species of ants you want in this thread. Also include approximate location
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#2 Offline Kevin - Posted August 22 2016 - 2:13 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Honey pot ants looks awesome, trapjaw ants... not sure exact locations.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#3 Offline Canadian anter - Posted August 22 2016 - 2:14 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Honey pot ants looks awesome, trapjaw ants... not sure exact locations.

I mean where YOU are because of ant transportation regulations

#4 Offline Kevin - Posted August 22 2016 - 2:16 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

ahh, then I'm not really sure, lol.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#5 Offline Shareallicu - Posted September 12 2016 - 1:29 PM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

ahh, then I'm not really sure, lol.

rofl

I would like some Camponotus or another larger species native to Washington ants!  I am in Washington state.

Edited by Shareallicu, September 12 2016 - 1:32 PM.

#6 Offline Canadian anter - Posted September 14 2016 - 12:12 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Myrmecocystus testaceus, Pogonomyrmex occidental is and owheeleri(Native to BC)Any Camponotus, Aphaenogaster,Pheidole,Solenopsis molesta,parasitic lasius and a non-black formica.(I've given up on most of these by now)

TORONTO,CANADA

Edited by Canadian anter, September 23 2016 - 6:32 PM.

#7 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted September 14 2016 - 12:45 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I've been hunting for Aphaenogaster tennesseensis for a few years now. I've located a large colony in the city where I live, but I have not seen any mating activity. :c

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#8 Offline Canadian anter - Posted September 14 2016 - 3:55 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

I've been hunting for Aphaenogaster tennesseensis for a few years now. I've located a large colony in the city where I live, but I have not seen any mating activity. :c

I used to see a lot of Queens but I could never find rudis, the host.

#9 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted September 14 2016 - 4:00 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Really? Did you ever make any ID threads for them or take pictures? I only have one confirmed record so far for this species. Antweb has alates that were collected as late as November, but didn't specify whether or not they were found inside the nest.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#10 Offline spider_creations - Posted September 14 2016 - 4:08 PM

spider_creations

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
Turtle ants, honeypot ants,acorn ants, atta mexiana, I believe all of these species are native to my state (Arizona)

#11 Offline Yuki - Posted September 14 2016 - 5:19 PM

Yuki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

There's apparently a few pheidole species in my state.  I've always liked those guys.

#12 Offline Jeoff82 - Posted September 18 2016 - 7:26 AM

Jeoff82

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

formica rufibarbis-UK

Species kept; Lasius Niger, Flavus, Brunneus, Emarginatus, Umbratus, Formica Fusca, Sanguinea, Rufibarbis, Camponotus Ligniperdus, Myrmica Rubra

#13 Offline Salmon - Posted September 18 2016 - 8:36 AM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA

Pheidole pilifera, Crematogaster cerasi, Aphaenogaster treatae. If I ever move somewhere that has Solenopsis geminata and Pogonomyrmex those would be at the top of my list.

#14 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted September 18 2016 - 6:18 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

I would love to obtain a full grown M. emaginatum or P. pilifera colony (they are too difficult to find as newly-mated queens). Lasius neoniger, / monomorium pharaonis, Tetramorium sp. e, Aphaenogaster fulva / rudis and Solenopsis molesta are other species that I would wish to obtain. I live in CT and so do all of the ants I have mentioned.

Edited by ctantkeeper, September 18 2016 - 6:22 PM.

#15 Offline Salmon - Posted September 19 2016 - 12:31 PM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA

I would love to obtain a full grown M. emaginatum or P. pilifera colony (they are too difficult to find as newly-mated queens). Lasius neoniger, / monomorium pharaonis, Tetramorium sp. e, Aphaenogaster fulva / rudis and Solenopsis molesta are other species that I would wish to obtain. I live in CT and so do all of the ants I have mentioned.

Unfortunately, I've read that many Pheidole species nest deep underground and personally experienced that P. pilfera doesn't nest directly below the nest entrance. So collecting a colony definitely isn't easy. Aphaenogaster colonies, on the other hand, can be found under loose bark in rotten logs and are very easy to collect.

#16 Offline Canadian anter - Posted September 19 2016 - 2:16 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Really? Did you ever make any ID threads for them or take pictures? I only have one confirmed record so far for this species. Antweb has alates that were collected as late as November, but didn't specify whether or not they were found inside the nest.
I didn't get pictures, It was before I got a camera, I know it was tennessenis because of the two yellow markings on the abdomen, I was in Guelph

#17 Offline Saftron - Posted September 19 2016 - 5:11 PM

Saftron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationFremont, California

I'd really love Myrmecocystus Testaceus/Mimicus, Pogonomyrmex brevispinosis/subdentatus and Prenelopis Imparis.

#18 Offline Mdrogun - Posted September 19 2016 - 6:39 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Solenopsis geminata

Pheidole megacephala

Oecophylla smaragdina

Lasius umbratus

Myrmecocystus mimicus/mexicanus

Veromessor pergandei

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Odontomachus brunneus

Camponotus floridanus

Carebara diversa

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#19 Offline Chandlerk - Posted September 28 2016 - 9:36 AM

Chandlerk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationMaryland
Crematogaster cerasi
Solenopsis invicta
Solenopsis molesta

(Maryland)

#20 Offline Antsinmycloset - Posted September 30 2016 - 11:56 AM

Antsinmycloset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Lasius claviger has had colonies at the house I grew up in (Kansas) for as long as I can remember. I always was fascinated with them, as they swarmed at the edge of our patio, but gave up on having any after I learned about the whole social parasite thing. They look like they'd be a great species if you could just get past the founding stage.

Otherwise, Camponotus are probably the only ones I'll try to keep. I find tiny ants intimidating and have no interest in our plentiful Pogonomyrmex.

Edited by Antsinmycloset, September 30 2016 - 12:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users