• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

REVIEW: Timberline Flightless Fruit Flies (PetCo)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline PTAntFan - Posted August 19 2016 - 10:53 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

I have not had these long enough to know their longevity (claim 5 weeks), but the first issue I see is that within a few days there were countless flies hatching.  That's problematic if they all hatch within a week and then you have none left.

Two, they're NOT flightless.  I'd call them flight-limited.  These things jump. A lot!  It makes an interesting challenge for my ants but delivering the flies to my ants is problematic to say the least.

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#2 Offline MrmrGatlin - Posted August 19 2016 - 10:55 AM

MrmrGatlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationFort myers FL

Haha a new breed, the latest in athletic insects, jumping flies!!!  :lol:

Current Species-------------------------
Brachymyrmex Patagonicus [First workers]
Pheidole Floridana [R.I.P. :'( ]
Odontomachus Brunneus [Founding]

#3 Offline Saftron - Posted August 19 2016 - 11:21 AM

Saftron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationFremont, California

Yeah I was deciding on buying fruit flies or mealworms from petco and the flies were jumping for days! So I just bought the mealworms from Petco

#4 Offline MrmrGatlin - Posted August 19 2016 - 11:26 AM

MrmrGatlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationFort myers FL

Nice! I've been considering picking up some meal worms and starting a culture. Currently I have a white dwarf isopod culture starting up but they take their sweet time. I have about 100 that just hatched from the few adults I was able to find. I think once the growth starts to compound that it'll work out great though.

Current Species-------------------------
Brachymyrmex Patagonicus [First workers]
Pheidole Floridana [R.I.P. :'( ]
Odontomachus Brunneus [Founding]

#5 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted August 19 2016 - 1:25 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I have a two-culture D. melanogaster setup (started from a PetCo culture) that works pretty well. I harvest the whole lot of the flies a while after the first adults emerge. A portion of them are used to seed the new culture, and the rest are frozen. I have to set up a new culture every two weeks, but that's with an organic medium. Drosophila are a favorite food for all of my ants.

• PTAntFan likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#6 Offline PTAntFan - Posted August 19 2016 - 1:44 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

I have a two-culture D. melanogaster setup (started from a PetCo culture) that works pretty well. I harvest the whole lot of the flies a while after the first adults emerge. A portion of them are used to seed the new culture, and the rest are frozen. I have to set up a new culture every two weeks, but that's with an organic medium. Drosophila are a favorite food for all of my ants.

Can you please either post here or send me DM some pictures and further details?  I would love to replicate.

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#7 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 19 2016 - 3:57 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Easily preserve fruit flies for months from only a single culture:

Simply take a test tube and funnel, and shake the flies into the tube. Plug the tube air-tight and freeze.

A rubber plug may work better than a polyethylene stopper to keep the contents sealed and fresh.  Ensure the contents never thaw prior to use, so that they stay separated in the tube and easy to dispense.

Edited by drtrmiller, August 19 2016 - 4:04 PM.

• PTAntFan likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#8 Offline PTAntFan - Posted August 19 2016 - 5:12 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

SO OBVIOUS!  duh.

#9 Offline PTAntFan - Posted August 19 2016 - 5:20 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

Thanks for helping my silly brain Dr. T.  But I am still interested in the culturing method.

#10 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted August 19 2016 - 5:57 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

They grow very well in just about any oxygenated jar or container. You can put a half-inch or so of nutritious medium (I just use instant potato flakes and homemade kombucha or organic cider vinegar) and then push in some coffee filters: done deal.

I was silly once and 3d printed a shape to fit the interior of one of my Drosophila cultures, but I gave the object no walls and a light infill that made an awful and deliberate mess of a tower as it printed. It's not the hardest thing in the world to clean (PLA, so hot water softens it), but it's so much more convenient to just throw away coffee filters.

Edited by Batspiderfish, August 19 2016 - 6:05 PM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users