• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Alate ID Please - 08-11-2016 - Massachusetts, USA

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline noebl1 - Posted August 11 2016 - 5:58 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

1. Location of collection:                     Inside office building, Lincoln, MA

2. Date of collection:                            8-11-2016 around 8am

3. Habitat of collection:                       Office building running inside sealed window area

4. Length (from head to gaster):         ~5.75mm  

5. Color, hue, pattern and texture:      Very bright red, but black gaster.

Formica species of some sort?  Was reading about some of the slave driving ants, not sure if this is one?  Based on the gaster, if not a male, thinking parasitic or not full claustral?

cWzctf0iYits-s_SafXJI51xa6ugogKV7C72cSM4

pIG8eBtu3u-JAbZ6tBZB29RuAvD2K1aElzoLuc0E

qQ6XqYJM2fM-GDjKoQMd7je_Zm0Zz8Ky935RKpin

cSWUkZSt-NGrBIueFsQHVw1_AiTYFdAT6lk95P4_

• Cindy likes this

#2 Offline kellakk - Posted August 11 2016 - 6:29 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Is this possibly Dolichoderus mariae?

• noebl1 and Batspiderfish like this

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#3 Offline AntsMAN - Posted August 12 2016 - 5:32 AM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
Formica subintegra?

Current queens/colonies

Camponotus novaeboracensis x2

Camponotus pennsylvanicus x2

Camponotus herculeanus x1

Formica sp. x1

Lasius americanus x1  (Lasius alienus)

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#4 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted August 12 2016 - 10:37 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I agree with Dolichoderus mariae, based on the shininess, but I can't see any of the major details that would really pin an ID onto it. Nice find!

I don't know much about their founding habits. They might need workers of their own species. See if you can find anything here or on the yuku forum.

Edited by Batspiderfish, August 12 2016 - 10:40 AM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#5 Offline noebl1 - Posted August 12 2016 - 10:48 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

I can try again to get a better shot of it?

It was a bizarre find too...  literally sitting at my desk first thing in the AM, dejected as thinking I missed a Neoniger flight the night before, and it walked by the shelf for the window.  No where near a door really and windows most certainly don't open.  Only thing I can think of is they removed the filters for the HVAC in our area due to an issue, so guessing it blew it.  Coworker said he had another ant across his desk the day before he squished... so guessing could be related. 

Betting based on gaster size, gotta be semi-claustral as it's pretty small? Gave her some honey last night, and she very quickly went for it.

Edited by noebl1, August 12 2016 - 10:49 AM.

#6 Offline VoidElecent - Posted August 7 2017 - 7:07 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Updates? I've always been very interested in Dolichoderus.

• Martialis likes this

#7 Offline noebl1 - Posted August 7 2017 - 7:52 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Unfortunately she didn't make it past 24h.  Guessing being bounced around thru the building HVAC wasn't so good for her.  I've had issues with other ants collected near this building dying within 24h, so guessing pesticides are also a problem.

• Martialis likes this

#8 Offline VoidElecent - Posted August 7 2017 - 9:34 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Unfortunately she didn't make it past 24h.  Guessing being bounced around thru the building HVAC wasn't so good for her.  I've had issues with other ants collected near this building dying within 24h, so guessing pesticides are also a problem.

Ah, I see. Well, thanks for updating us anyways, I appreciate it.

You should try to pinpoint the location of that Dolichoderus population— apparently they're not that common.

#9 Offline gcsnelling - Posted August 7 2017 - 2:46 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

I hope you preserved the specimen.

#10 Offline noebl1 - Posted August 7 2017 - 3:13 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

I did not, honestly didn't realize this was special :(

• Martialis likes this

#11 Offline VoidElecent - Posted August 7 2017 - 7:59 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

It's ok, don't feel bad! It's nice to know there is  a Dolichoderus population in MA, so thanks for the documentation.

#12 Offline noebl1 - Posted August 8 2017 - 3:36 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

It's ok, don't feel bad! It's nice to know there is  a Dolichoderus population in MA, so thanks for the documentation.

I did wonder about their origins a bit.  I'm really close to Hanscom, so wondered initially if hitchhikers.  Though a coworker mentioned he found one that morning too and squished it, so odds are probably not (or at least not a recent one).  I suspect I know where this colony may be living, I'll see if I can investigate this week.  I had assumed the colony there was a Formica sp, but second guessing that now.

#13 Offline VoidElecent - Posted August 8 2017 - 4:57 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

I did wonder about their origins a bit.  I'm really close to Hanscom, so wondered initially if hitchhikers.  Though a coworker mentioned he found one that morning too and squished it, so odds are probably not (or at least not a recent one).  I suspect I know where this colony may be living, I'll see if I can investigate this week.  I had assumed the colony there was a Formica sp, but second guessing that now.

Wow, this is awesome! It would be wonderful if you found a colony or two.

Describe the general habitat of the land around your building— I know Dolichoderus prefer marshes and wooded glades, which are relatively hard to come by from my experience. The hitchhiker theory would make sense, I actually caught a Pogonomyrmex badius queen in Southwestern PA presumably due to the same phenomenon, but if your coworker claims he had spotted a queen, there could very well be a sizable population around there. Of course, this thread was posted about a year ago, so there's a chance any potential colonies have moved or perished in that time, but there's also a chance they've grown!

Good luck! I look forward to learning about your results. :)

#14 Offline noebl1 - Posted August 8 2017 - 5:33 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

If weather is good I'll look tomorrow for sure when back at that office.  One thing I learned last week is some of the sidewalks there are heated by steam to keep ice/snow from collecting.  For a more southerly species, that could get them thru a cold New England winter potentially.  Then again, could just be Formica there :)

#15 Offline noebl1 - Posted August 10 2017 - 10:32 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

So I went thru this area today, and with the heat, they were moving pretty darn quickly, so haven't yet confirmed the ones by the office.

However it dawned on me... by my house there's a lot of water and swamps (front 1/3 of my property is a seasonal pond).   I keep meaning to get this ID'ed as well:

Hr71QRW.jpg

9S4g6XL.jpg

If it's indeed  Dolichoderus, I believe it could be D. plagiatus

Edited by noebl1, August 10 2017 - 10:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users