• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Aphaenogaster and myrmica

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Canadian anter - Posted August 10 2016 - 8:23 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
How do you tell them apart!!!
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#2 Offline kellakk - Posted August 10 2016 - 9:23 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

I have no experience with Myrmica. That said, Aphaenogaster seem much more narrow and elongated than Myrmica, which seem more squat and rounded.  There are actual morphological differences detailed in the scientific literature, but with the naked eye I think those will be the most obvious differences.

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#3 Offline LC3 - Posted August 10 2016 - 9:33 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Here's a list of some characteristics I noticed of Aphaenogaster compared to Myrmica:

Aphaenogaster of North America are more slender than Myrmica, have longer legs with an elongated head. Aphaenogaster have a distinctly concave thorax that curves in or is sloped upwards from the gaster as opposed to Myrmica with a flatter thorax with 2 bulges, Like Tetramorium, Myrmica don't have a really elongated head, their head shape is somewhat of a circly square.  Also nearly all species Myrmica are covered in ridges (except for the gaster). The petiole nodes for Apheanogaster are more pointy as well, in the case of subterranean species like A.occidentalis they're round looking. For Myrmica the second petiole node is larger and less pointed than the first node with the first node usually looking like a spike pointing inward.

Now for the queen's, Apheanogaster queens have a much bulkier thorax than Myrmica, sometimes very smooth. Just like the workers, the queen's thorax is sloped, making the back of the thorax nearly vertical. The thorax of most Myrmica queens are less bulky and their gasters aren't too big either. I think Aphaenogaster have larger gasters than Myrmica as well.

• dermy likes this

#4 Offline Canadian anter - Posted August 12 2016 - 2:32 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Which is bigger?
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#5 Offline kellakk - Posted August 12 2016 - 5:25 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

I think it might depend on species.  What you can do is look at the profile images of each species on AntWeb and use their scale to tell about how long each species is. For example, looking at this Myrmica americana worker you can see that it's 3-4 mm long.

casent0179857_p_1_high.jpg

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users