• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Introducing More Queens to Solenopsis Invicta Colony

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline theneuro - Posted July 18 2016 - 11:01 PM

theneuro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Early in June, I caught many different queen ants (all Solenopsis Invicta) in the same exact location. I put each one in a different test tube (and stored the test tubes right next to each other). Recently, I moved the queen ant with the most brood into a new (small) formicarium. However, now that I know this species can have multiple queens, I would like to introduce more queens to this colony. This colony has about 15 workers. Would it be possible to introduce more queens to this colony? If so, should I pick a queen (or queens) with eggs, or one with workers? How many queens should I introduce? I'm okay with the introduced queens dying, but I don't want to risk my main queen dying. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

#2 Offline Canadian anter - Posted July 19 2016 - 12:28 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
There is a higher chance of the main queen becoming dominant since she is more productive.If you don' care about the other queens' you could just do a brood bboost.Usually you group them while they have nothing to lose so it's kinda late and I wouldn't take the risk.
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#3 Offline drtrmiller - Posted July 19 2016 - 12:59 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

No.  While pleometrosis, the occurrence of several queens in a single nest of ants, may exist for all S. invicta during the founding stage, only a small number of S. invicta exhibit permanent polygyny behavior, and queens from the monogyne variant will fight to the death after a period of time.

The queen that survives may become permanently injured, such as losing an antennal club or leg.  It is for this reason that I advise against founding S. invicta with multiple queens, unless you are in one of the very small areas where the polygyne variant is dominant.

Edited by drtrmiller, July 19 2016 - 10:16 AM.

• LC3 and Canadian anter like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#4 Offline theneuro - Posted July 19 2016 - 2:14 AM

theneuro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Would Arkansas be one of these "small areas"? According to this article (https://www.ars.usda...989(M-2227).pdf) Solenopsis Invicta has been observed as being polygynous in Arkansas.

Also, about this brood boosting- how does it work? Would the queen accept workers? Or just eggs and larva?

#5 Offline drtrmiller - Posted July 19 2016 - 4:06 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

The areas where polygyne S. invicta exist typically cover parts of certain counties, not entire states, where they are present.  According to the book The Fire Ants (< clickable link), by Walter Tschinkel, which I highly recommend, "The distribution of polygyne S. invicta on (sic) transects between Florida and Texas."  It does not appear they are as far north as Arkansas.

Further, reproduction of the polygyne variant is completely different than monogyne S. invicta. There is suppression of independent colony founding in polygyne variants. Tschinkel lists a number of reasons for this, which I will condense here: fewer alates are produced, alates typically do not have the body reserves to raise brood independently, and about 80% of males are sterile.  Colonies of polygyne S. invicta reproduce mainly by colonial fission/budding, where a number of queens will branch off and start a satellite nest.

Therefore, it can be said with a high degree of certainty that if you find a fat S. invicta queen wandering around after a nuptial flight, she is likely of the monogyne variety.

Edited by drtrmiller, July 19 2016 - 4:36 AM.

• LC3, Loops117 and Canadian anter like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#6 Offline theneuro - Posted July 19 2016 - 4:47 AM

theneuro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Okay, thank you! This answered all of my questions.

#7 Offline Loops117 - Posted July 19 2016 - 10:15 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

Very good information drtmiller +1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users