• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

FyreAnt | Ant adoption | Ant supplies

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Kevin - Posted July 18 2016 - 9:57 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

READ BEFORE BUYING

You must be local and in the state of New Jersey. If you have a question, please ask.

This thread will be updated in the spring. If you desperately need ants, please PM me.

Unfortunately some queens are healthier than others. Some queens have expected issues such as laying eggs everywhere, or not being federalized. Due to nature, not every queen is guaranteed a successful colony and therefore no refunds will be issued for live insects other that rare occasions of queens arriving dead under my fault. Contact me for more information on policy. Queens do not have to be shipped, direct pickup is an option. Pick up will take place in southern New Jersey.

Disclaimer: No matter how close you are to New Jersey, shipping queens across state lines is illegal and not recommended.

Formicaria and other supplies coming soon!

3D Printed formicaria coming soon at low prices

Edited by Kevin, March 23 2017 - 12:59 PM.

• AntsTexas, Exels1 and AntsBrazil like this

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#2 Offline Ryan1207 - Posted July 18 2016 - 10:48 AM

Ryan1207

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Your in NJ or PA?

#3 Offline Kevin - Posted July 18 2016 - 3:40 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

New Jersey

#4 Offline Kevin - Posted July 19 2016 - 4:14 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Bump :)

#5 Offline Kevin - Posted July 28 2016 - 4:28 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Bump, sale for queens. Got 2 camponotus queens today, so I'll have to get them ID'ed and they will up for sale!

• Shareallicu likes this

#6 Offline AntsTexas - Posted July 28 2016 - 4:47 PM

AntsTexas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLubbock, Texas

i hear ya on that one!

Ant Queens found:

Solenopsis Invicta,  Solenopsis xyloni,  Brachymyrmex depilis/Sp,  Myrmecocystus Mimicus,  Pogonomyrmex barbatus,

Forelius pruinosus,  Camponotus sayi, Dorymyrmex insanus, crematogaster ashmeadi,

----------------------------------------

Ant Queens i have going right now:

camponotus sayi, solenopsis invicta, Myrmecocystus Mimicus, Forelius pruinosus

Pogonomyrmex barbatus, and some others (no i.d.)

---------------------------------------

YouTube:  AntsTexas

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/cdockray1

Facebook page:  AntsTexas

#7 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted July 29 2016 - 10:59 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Not interested in this purchase, but i just wanted to ask whether or not CT is close enough to new jersey for me to buy your products. one end of the state is super close and is only separated by a tiny piece of land in New York!!!

#8 Offline Kevin - Posted July 29 2016 - 11:17 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

That would be fine.

• ctantkeeper and AntsAreCool55 like this

#9 Offline Saftron - Posted July 29 2016 - 11:47 AM

Saftron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationFremont, California
How did you get my email Kevin? I thought you were Toenhi or bugfinder because you emailed me about queens and I'm in California...???

#10 Offline Kevin - Posted July 29 2016 - 2:54 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

I saw a post of yours and decided to email you, and you replied. I stated that I don't live in your area though.

#11 Offline Saftron - Posted July 29 2016 - 3:12 PM

Saftron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationFremont, California

Oh, yeah sorry I thought you mean't like not near me but still in California. Sorry bout that!

#12 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted July 29 2016 - 3:53 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

That would be fine.

thanks so much!!!

#13 Offline Kevin - Posted August 5 2016 - 2:55 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Plenty of queens to go around, let me know if you want one.

#14 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 5 2016 - 5:24 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Just so you guys know, no matter how close someone lives to you, if ants have to cross a State line to get to their destination, someone will have to break the law to get them there.

• Martialis likes this

#15 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted August 7 2016 - 8:47 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Yes, but remember the guidelines that were used to run the byformica ant adoption program (whatever happened to that one). It allowed ants to be shipped across state lines as long as the species naturally occurs in both states and that the ants are properly disposed of upon death. I am not trying to point fingers, just trying to prove a small point.

• Shareallicu likes this

#16 Offline Vendayn - Posted August 7 2016 - 8:35 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Yes, but remember the guidelines that were used to run the byformica ant adoption program (whatever happened to that one). It allowed ants to be shipped across state lines as long as the species naturally occurs in both states and that the ants are properly disposed of upon death. I am not trying to point fingers, just trying to prove a small point.

That kinda seems like a HUGE grey area at the very least. There are plenty of species that look pretty much exactly the same, but are considered the "same" ant species. A great example of this is Dorymyrmex bicolor, which are actually multiple species. But, they haven't been properly sorted out. And then, Monomorium ergatogyna is a different species to Monomorium minimum (though occurring in different regions of the US, don't think Monomorium minimum occurs in California, just an example), but there is pretty much no noticeable difference one can see with their own eye.

Though I think that could be much better in a different thread, so probably won't say anything further. Don't need to hijack this thread.

• ctantkeeper likes this

#17 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 7 2016 - 8:55 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

That is not at all accurate.  What you said doesn't even reflect my own personal opinions on the issue, so I'm not sure where you got that idea.

The byFormica site said the following:

byFormica does not provide legal advice to buyers or sellers participating in this service, and we would refer all questions about the legality of such matters to a licensed attorney or the appropriate regulatory agency. The transport of plant pests is regulated under the Title IV, Plant Protection Act and/or other statutes, and enforced by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, and/or other agencies.

The law in a nutshell: Per the Plant Protection Act, "plant pests" may not be imported, exported, or transported across state lines, regardless as to whether they are native to a particular area. Plant pests are defined as "any living stage of [an organism] that can directly or indirectly injure, cause damage to, or cause disease in any plant or plant product." Because the environmental impact of many ants is unstudied, is is unclear which ant species may be classified as plant pests.

If a buyer or seller knowingly asks that you break a law to conduct a transaction, please contact us.

Edited by drtrmiller, August 7 2016 - 8:58 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#18 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted August 8 2016 - 6:43 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

That is not at all accurate.  What you said doesn't even reflect my own personal opinions on the issue, so I'm not sure where you got that idea.

The byFormica site said the following:

byFormica does not provide legal advice to buyers or sellers participating in this service, and we would refer all questions about the legality of such matters to a licensed attorney or the appropriate regulatory agency. The transport of plant pests is regulated under the Title IV, Plant Protection Act and/or other statutes, and enforced by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, and/or other agencies.

The law in a nutshell: Per the Plant Protection Act, "plant pests" may not be imported, exported, or transported across state lines, regardless as to whether they are native to a particular area. Plant pests are defined as "any living stage of [an organism] that can directly or indirectly injure, cause damage to, or cause disease in any plant or plant product." Because the environmental impact of many ants is unstudied, is is unclear which ant species may be classified as plant pests.

If a buyer or seller knowingly asks that you break a law to conduct a transaction, please contact us.

Sorry Terry, I didn't mean anything bad by posting this. It has been a while since the ant adoption program on your website was closed to the public and I simply saw yours as being very flexible in terms of where and what species can be sent. I thought it was strange that this adoption service was getting much more scrutiny, but now I understand. 

#19 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted August 8 2016 - 6:53 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

So, Its seems that we can infer three things from this post moving forward (from Kevin's first post to mine):

- all living organisms being sold must be confirmed to have populations at both the send - point as well as the location of the seller (obviously)

- agricultural pests cannot be sold and only ant species that have been studied in great detail in regards to their effect on the environment can be sold across state lines (If this is the case we should create some sort of list of appropriate species to sell.)

-If the transaction takes place over state lines, the states must be next to each over

Based on terry's store (If I remember correctly...don't shoot me if i get this wrong lol) - If one of these insects were to die in captivity, the body should be frozen in liquid nitrogen or incinerated to prevent contamination (In other words, don't toss it outside or flush it down the toilet.).

Edited by ctantkeeper, August 8 2016 - 6:56 AM.

#20 Offline benjiwuf - Posted August 8 2016 - 8:18 AM

benjiwuf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • LocationGroßröhrsdorf Germany
In the us, you cannot transport reproductive queens across state lines. Hence the GAN guidelines. In canada you can only transport in canada, and in the eu anything goes as long as everything stays in the eu.

Edit: These are at least my observations as i have not lived in canada, only the us and eu do i mostly understand.

Edited by benjiwuf, August 8 2016 - 10:06 AM.

• ctantkeeper likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users