• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Polyergus raids

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Salmon - Posted July 15 2016 - 5:16 PM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA
The field where I discovered a bunch of Pheidole pilfera colonies has really turned out to be a good spot for anting. I've seen at least 20 different species there, most recently and interestingly a colony of Polyergus lucidus colony that's been raiding Formica incerta colonies around 5:30 pm every day for about a week.
I filmed them and made this Youtube video, though after uploading it I found that there were already several similar videos. Still, I think mine's pretty good.
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=FSnNzjzQxF0
Interestingly, today two separate raids happened close to the same time, but the larger one was unsuccessful and came back empty- handed.

Edited by Salmon, July 15 2016 - 5:52 PM.

• drtrmiller, ctantkeeper, Barristan and 2 others like this

#2 Offline noebl1 - Posted July 15 2016 - 5:48 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

Thanks for posting this!  I had noticed (also around the same time in the evening) the same ants running across the driveway carrying pupae from somewhere.  Wasn't sure what they were until now :)

• Salmon likes this

#3 Offline MrILoveTheAnts - Posted July 15 2016 - 6:11 PM

MrILoveTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Excellent video! I especially liked the mention of Formica incerta plugging up their nest entrances in preparation for Polyergus raids. It's something I didn't even know they did!

• LC3 and Salmon like this

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 15 2016 - 6:37 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Nice footage.

• Salmon likes this

#5 Offline Barristan - Posted July 15 2016 - 10:03 PM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

Very cool video, thank you for sharing.

• Salmon likes this

#6 Offline Salmon - Posted July 16 2016 - 7:08 AM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA

Excellent video! I especially liked the mention of Formica incerta plugging up their nest entrances in preparation for Polyergus raids. It's something I didn't even know they did!

And sometimes, it works! One of yesterday's raids spent quite a bit of time searching but never found the nest.

#7 Offline Salmon - Posted July 26 2016 - 3:55 PM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA
Today, I noticed something interesting at the Polyergus nest- a wingless Polyergus queen, about the size of a Camponotus major, walking around a few inches away. I grabbed her to get a closer look, and while I've already been bitten by the workers I was NOT expecting her bite to be so painful! She drew blood and left a pair of visible holes in my finger, which still hurts quite a bit as I'm typing this.

I put her back where I found her, and she made a beeline for the nest entrance. She was immediately attacked and killed by the resident Polyergus and slaves. Was she actually a foreign queen attempting to take over the established Polyergus colony? Are they known to do that?

#8 Offline gcsnelling - Posted July 26 2016 - 5:45 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Look up the work of Howard Topoff, he has been studying these ants for years in Arizona.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users