• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant ID (Lasius sp.) (Crystal Lake, Azusa, CA) (7-15-2016)

lasius ant id dspdrew azusa california

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 15 2016 - 12:55 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

1. Location of collection: Crystal Lake, Azusa, California.
2. Date of collection:  6-19-2016.
3. Habitat of collection:  Pine/oak forest.
4. Length (from head to gaster):  4 mm.
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture:  All yellow.
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Long hairs.
7. Anything else distinctive: Smell like lemons.
8. Nest description: Under rock.

med_gallery_2_592_87403.jpg

med_gallery_2_592_188555.jpg

med_gallery_2_592_159916.jpg

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 15 2016 - 12:56 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I'm guessing this is Lasius interjectus. I didn't know we had these around here. Neither AntWeb nor AntWiki show them in California.

#3 Offline gcsnelling - Posted July 15 2016 - 2:34 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

How bout L. californicus?

#4 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 15 2016 - 4:09 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I'm pretty sure I can agree with L. californicus.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#5 Offline Foogoo - Posted July 15 2016 - 6:30 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Did you get any pictures of live workers? Curious what local Lasius look like.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#6 Offline Canadian anter - Posted July 15 2016 - 4:22 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Claviger?
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#7 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 15 2016 - 4:55 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Claviger?

Lasius claviger is not present in his location, I don't believe. Acanthomyops is definitely the right subgenus, though.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

#8 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 15 2016 - 6:41 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Hmmmm. Man could have sworn I spent quite a while searching online for the species of ants that are considerred citronella ants, and the only two I ever saw were L. interjectus, and L. claviger. Are these that I found not citronella ants? I thought citronella ants were the ones that smelled like lemons. This shows how much I know about Lasius haha.

#9 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 16 2016 - 6:08 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Lasius californicus is a close relative of Lasius claviger. I'm pretty sure all Acanthomyops make that citronella odor.

----

#10 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 16 2016 - 8:29 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Well if that's the case, then yeah it probably is L. californicus.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lasius, ant id, dspdrew, azusa, california

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users