• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pogonomyrmex Occidentalis colonies.

pogonomyrmex pogonomyrmex occidentalis

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Canadian anter - Posted March 15 2017 - 12:14 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

This is why you keep several colonies

I do have several colonies, just all of different species. :D
*backup colonies for every species
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#42 Offline XZero38 - Posted March 15 2017 - 12:53 PM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

nah, survival of the fittest. Clearly the queen i chose out of 19 was not the strongest even though she was the first with workers.

Besides having multiple of the same species is boring to me.

#43 Offline XZero38 - Posted July 28 2017 - 3:48 PM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

So this colony lost its queen during hibernation as stated earlier. So today i was going to just freeze the workers since they are still kicking and i noticed a small batch of eggs in one of the test tubes. Seems like one of the workers has taken up the reins of egg laying. I'm not expecting workers from the eggs since it was a worker that laid them. But it will be interesting to see what happens.

#44 Offline Shaye - Posted July 29 2017 - 7:51 AM

Shaye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

nah, survival of the fittest. Clearly the queen i chose out of 19 was not the strongest even though she was the first with workers.
Besides having multiple of the same species is boring to me.

But... You took all of the brood from the others (presumable dooming them to death since they waste a large supply of their energy founding) and likely killed the 'fittest' out of them.. So that doesn't make sense..

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?

#45 Offline XZero38 - Posted August 16 2017 - 6:25 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

So round two for this species! I currently have a few queens of this species. The one that has been the strongest as far as brood production has been placed in a 7 mm DSP box. She has already built her chamber and has taken what food i have provided and locked her self away in her chamber. I will update more when she decides to reappear or when workers start emerging.

#46 Offline sgheaton - Posted August 16 2017 - 6:50 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

YAY!

Going to live vicariously through you with these guys!

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#47 Offline XZero38 - Posted May 30 2018 - 5:59 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

For some reason i have a hard time keeping this species. They also did not make it though the winter.

#48 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted May 30 2018 - 7:05 AM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

For some reason i have a hard time keeping this species. They also did not make it though the winter.

I feel you. I found one queen earlier this spring. I believe she was a hold over from last years flights as it still seemed early. So far she is the only one who has eggs and now larvae. My fingers are crossed but I am keeping my expectations lows as I have also had so many failed queens.

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left.

-Aldo Leopold

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pogonomyrmex, pogonomyrmex occidentalis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users