• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Wasp Nest 2016 Journal!

wasps 2016 dermy journal

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dermy - Posted July 5 2016 - 10:04 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I found this nest a few days ago, waited till It was large but not too large and at 5am this morning took it down, no workers swarmed nothing even came out, i thought it was dead.... but nope it's all good and already is starting on the second comb :o

Here is a better view of the queens abdomen, showing that in fact she is different [Parasite] then the Host Workers.

I didn't mess the nest up too badly, [They should repair it assume the free-ranging goes well] and now they are in the shed "attempting" to free range, queen is too busy with the nest to have even ventured out of it, let alone fit through the hole that i made. Hopefully they are free-ranging, I will just leave them be because stress= bad for wasps. I'm crossing my fingers it works out well I got them in a nest box thing and will post an update when I feel that it's going well enough to start recording them ;) Hopefully i can remain out of the flight path, because that's never a good thing with wasp nests......

• LC3, Canadian anter and T.C. like this

#2 Offline Loops117 - Posted July 5 2016 - 10:41 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

Wow, this is super interesting. Were do you keep these guys?

#3 Offline dermy - Posted July 5 2016 - 3:15 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Wow, this is super interesting. Were do you keep these guys?

Inside a shed haha It's been crazy for weather lately and I have to consider keeping it away from high-traffic areas.

#4 Offline specimen24-6 - Posted July 5 2016 - 10:55 PM

specimen24-6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationUSA, California
I've read of this on venom list. There are others who have rased wosp from a single queen and a cluster of cells in due time the queen will continue were her mother left off or adopt a abandoned nest.

#5 Offline dermy - Posted July 6 2016 - 12:38 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I've read of this on venom list. There are others who have rased wosp from a single queen and a cluster of cells in due time the queen will continue were her mother left off or adopt a abandoned nest.

I wish this were the case, but from what i know this is a Social parasite this nest is baiscally going to be doomed. I'm going to try my best to see if I can get her brood to devolope though, since they go straight into queen/male rearing.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wasps, 2016, dermy, journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users