• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tyrreas Journal: Into the antworld.

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Tyrrea - Posted July 1 2014 - 5:37 AM

Tyrrea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Ill give it a go then, hoping for the best ;)

#22 Offline Tyrrea - Posted July 1 2014 - 5:48 AM

Tyrrea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Ok, everything is put down, the tube is 1.5 cm from the entrance to the formacarium, and i have covered it with some cloth so its a bit dark inthere, hope this lures her to move fast.... I'm so so exited right now ;)

#23 Offline Mathiacus - Posted July 1 2014 - 6:38 PM

Mathiacus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia
Good luck mate :-D I can relate quite well to your excitement. The two days it took me to move my colony were so tense! The container they were in was not too secure and I a as afraid they would go somewhere else with the queen while I was at work.

#24 Offline dermy - Posted July 1 2014 - 6:40 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Good luck and hope everything goes well!

#25 Offline Tyrrea - Posted July 3 2014 - 3:31 AM

Tyrrea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

She´s playing hard to get princess, and has tucked all her eggs and larvae in the bottom (still moist i assume) part of the test tube and refuses to go out, guess ill have to wait... I'm counting on that she will look around when the tube dries up too much for the eggs, well, i really hope ;)

Edited by Tyrrea, July 5 2014 - 3:14 AM.

#26 Offline Tyrrea - Posted July 5 2014 - 3:15 AM

Tyrrea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

News: None... She seems to like the tube a bit too much, she just stands over them and refuses to leave, but I'm certain that something will happen soon as there is absolutely no water left inthere.

As to the heating issue, i got a heating cable, and the setup keeps at a constant 26 degrees, that should be way better than the 20 from the broken heater.

All in all, going well in the little home, but mommy is being difficult ;)

#27 Offline Mercutia - Posted July 5 2014 - 6:38 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Naturally in the wild they'd rather not leave their founding nest unless in the most dire circumstances because it is still a critical time for queens and leaving in the nest in the wild runs the very high risk of killing the queen. Naturally she's going to be a bit stubborn but keep the new nest moist and dark and when that cotton dries out which no doubt it will, she will move.

#28 Offline Tyrrea - Posted July 6 2014 - 3:12 AM

Tyrrea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

And today i made my first test tube setup ;)

Was shopping with the wife, and right there in front of me, on the ground, this Lasius Niger queen crawls past me... So naturally i picked her up, had to hold her cause i had no tube with me. So wife went into a store and bought a small glass container to put it in, and now we just got home, and put her in test tube, and she started cleaning herself a few minutes after whitch i take it is a good sign ;)

Oooh joyful life.

#29 Offline Tyrrea - Posted July 7 2014 - 11:39 PM

Tyrrea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Well, good morning all,and what a glorious day ;)

This morning the Messor Barbarus queen got her first worker, at first i didn't notice, just checked up on her as i usually does, but then this tiny tiny ant crawled up from under her and stared at me, was an awesome moment! Perhaps this new addition to the family can actually help the queen move out the test tube, as she havent even been outside it yet...

And more good news, the new Lasius Niger queen has what looks like 2-3 eggs right on the edge of the cotton wall, so she's doing fine too!

All in all a good day!

#30 Offline Tyrrea - Posted July 9 2014 - 2:53 AM

Tyrrea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Adding some pictures ;)

DSC_0927_zps51509775.jpg

DSC_0930_zps294f4ddf.jpg

From what i can see, she should have a new worker in a day or two. Now, they still won't move, from what i have seen, they havent even gone outside the testtube, but (not showing on this picture) the have torn alot of the cotton off and littered at the end of the tube, I'm thinking they are digging for moist still, and they are drinking from the drops on top of the glass... The cotton has also started to discolour a bit. Would it be an idea to attatch the testtube driectly to the formacaruim entrance, i made sure they match, so that could be done, just don't want anything to happen due to dehydration??

This was best i could get through the glass + tube:

75eed53c-d135-493b-98fd-4dbd565a7d90_zps

And here, the newest addition, what i believe is Lasius Niger (mostly cause its the most common here)

90e2d150-fefe-4a68-bcb9-da808b951674_zps

I'm counting 1 egg under her and 3 more in the cotton, so she's giving it a go ;)

Regards.

#31 Offline Tyrrea - Posted July 24 2014 - 3:09 AM

Tyrrea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

I have gathered 2 more lasius niger queens, and one of them has 4 eggs, and the other is dropping them like mad, there's 25-30 in a clutch in the tube now ;)

The Messor Barbarus queen has 2 workers now, and 2 more within the next few days i think, they even dragged a single seed that i gave them,  into the nest so all good there too!

I have ordered a macro lens to clip on my iphone, don't know how good it will be, but I'm hoping for the best, should arrive this week!

-Daniel

#32 Offline Crystals - Posted July 24 2014 - 6:34 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Most young colonies are reluctant to move.  They have been safe in that location so far, and see little reason to move.

Ensure that the end of the test tube is as close to the formicarium tubing as possible.  Also ensure the new nest is moist and dark.

I am constantly amazed at how long a cotton ball can retain enough moisture for ants...  As long as you see condensation in the tube they are perfectly fine.  A few days after it disappears start watching closely.  I have had a few queens who figured they would die before they moved.  I manually moved those to a new test tube which was 1/3 full of water.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#33 Offline Tyrrea - Posted July 25 2014 - 12:19 AM

Tyrrea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Oh they moved allright, ill have some pictures up at soon as my macro lens arrives ;)

It took a few days for her to move, but guess she knows best!

Q: The Lasius queen with the most eggs has decided to keep one of her wings, any good reason?

Edited by Tyrrea, July 25 2014 - 1:56 AM.

#34 Offline Crystals - Posted July 25 2014 - 6:18 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Depending on how tight the space is, she may not have enough room (or grip) to contort enough to rip it off.  Or it might have a bit better attachment than the others.

Maybe she wanted to start a new fashion.  :D

Whatever reason, the workers will probably chew it off within a year or so.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#35 Offline Tyrrea - Posted July 25 2014 - 10:16 AM

Tyrrea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Youre telling me all the fancy ants in Paris will be with wings next fall?? awesome ;)

Ill just let her be then

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users