• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tyrreas Journal: Into the antworld.

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Tyrrea - Posted May 16 2014 - 8:01 AM

Tyrrea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

So, instead of keeping postinf in the intro thread, i though id start a journal, will be fun to look back into when my ant empire takes over the world one day...

So anyway, I've been dabbling with different types of formacariums, and made 2 so far, still need to make some outworlds for them, but since Lasius Niger in my area won't mate next few weeks, I'm thinkning that i have some time to get it done...

My first formacarium was inspired by this website actually, and is a grout formacarium with a glass front added..

IMG_3217_zpse67b5ef8.jpg

The white areas are the living space, and the darker grey is for water, its meant to be stored/used lying flat as i don't really like the vertical ones.. I'm hoping that this works, and that it keeps the nest moist enough but guess ill know soon enough...

The next one was one i saw at the antscanada store, and i thought ''I can make that too'' so here goes; got 2 smal acrylic glass picture frames at a yardsale, and thought they were perfect!

IMG_3210_zps95a61445.jpg

First making sure they aligned, well sorta, good enough for a first attempt anyway..

IMG_3213_zps1664c55b.jpg

Started drilling out the chambers, and since this is my first time working with this material, i didn't know that drilling slowly is the way to go, first off i had the stuff melt under the heat of the drill, but i learned from it, and moved on...

IMG_3212_zps177384c3.jpg

As you can see, i was aiming for 4 chambers of different sizes...

Now, i WAS planning of a kinda step by step series of pictures, but enthusiasm got to me and i forgot to take pictures, sadly... But, heres the finished product:

IMG_3219_zpsa0413507.jpg

IMG_3220_zpsdd36314a.jpg

I'm quite satisfied with the end result, but guess only ants can decide in the end ;)

On the upper part, you can see 2 holes that i drilled for water, hoping that it will do the trick..

So, there it is, my first baby steps, any advice or tips will be welcomed as I'm still in learning process...

-Daniel

#2 Offline Mercutia - Posted May 16 2014 - 9:05 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

How are you suppose to water it?

#3 Offline Tyrrea - Posted May 16 2014 - 9:13 AM

Tyrrea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Whitch one??

#4 Offline Mercutia - Posted May 16 2014 - 3:33 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

The acrylic.

#5 Offline Tyrrea - Posted May 16 2014 - 11:30 PM

Tyrrea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

It works through capillary action (yeah its a thing) i never heard of it, but we all know it from when we store glass or the like, even in relatively dry conditions, moisture will seep through the tiny tiny space between the sheets... If i hadn't seen the antscanada omninest i would never have thought of it..

And i allready checked, it actually works, thanks to the see through material, you van actually see the water spread after you add it to the 2 small holes i drilled on the top plate, its extremely smart!!

#6 Offline Tyrrea - Posted June 12 2014 - 3:50 AM

Tyrrea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

AND SHE'S HEEEERE

Well anyway, got my ant queen today...

To start off with, I'm NOT very happy with ordering live animals by mail, its not ideal and i don't like it, but when that's said, there is no antkeeping of any kind in denmark, I've been searching since i made this thread and nothing. With that in mind i ordered from Queen Ant Shop since I've read only good about them, and today, the mailman arrived...

I decided to go for a Messor Barbarus, since everyone tells me that they are good and easy, and for a first time keeper, that's what i go for.

She is a stunningly beautiful, i looked for as long as i dared, as she seemed agitated, and i didn't want to disturb her more than the travel had done, From what i could see, there was a small cluster of eggs and 2 larger oned that she moved around a bit before i put her away, i just hope she will be happy here!

Now, my extremely untrained eye tells me that the test tube setup she arrived in might not be as good as i hoped, but i won't do anything before the experts (you guys) have told me, problem is, the test tube was alot smaller than i had expected, she can move around and turn around but seems a bit small, is that ok? Second, there's not as much water in the tube as i have seen on the pictures on this page, only about ½ cm of visible watter (and then some absorbed by the cotton id expect) but will this be enough?

I have a good hunting ground with a watering place i can put the test tube into, but i don't know if she'll leave the nest if thirsty, and don't even know if its wise to pull out the cotton sealing the test tube...

Hoping for good answers as i don't want to mess up on my first try!

-Daniel

(pictures of the hunting grounds will follow in the weekend, I'm kinda busy at work..)

#7 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 12 2014 - 5:31 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

If the queen can turn around in the tube, then it's probably big enough. As long as it has water in there still it's fine, but once the water dries up, you will need to make a new test tube setup and move them into it, or move them into a formicarium if they're ready for one.

#8 Offline Crystals - Posted June 12 2014 - 6:12 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

They only had a bit of water in the tube in case of flooding during transport.  As long as there is enough water to wet the cotton, she will be fine.

Messor Barbarus are fully claustral so she won't need food until her workers arrive.  (Although I always cheat and give my queens a drop of sugar water/hummingbird nectar every week or so).

Leave the test tube plugged until the workers have eclosed.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#9 Offline Tyrrea - Posted June 12 2014 - 1:49 PM

Tyrrea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Thanks all, i just got home from work, and checked on her quickly, she seems to have settled down a bit, and stacked all her eggs in one end of the tube, and I'm taking that as a good sign ;)

#10 Offline LAnt - Posted June 12 2014 - 6:52 PM

LAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Did they have any queens with a few workers for sale?

#11 Offline Tyrrea - Posted June 12 2014 - 11:04 PM

Tyrrea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

They didn't have any when i ordered, but havent checked ;)

#12 Offline Tyrrea - Posted June 16 2014 - 6:18 AM

Tyrrea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Shee seems to settled all good, still no more eggs, but she constantly moving around those she got...

#13 Offline Tyrrea - Posted June 19 2014 - 9:33 PM

Tyrrea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

And now it happened... She had 4-5 more eggs this morning, all going well i assume, though i have one more question, she seems to be biting the cotton in the watered end of the tube alot and has teared it up a little, is it because she's thirsty? there's still water behind the cotton, so I'm guessing that its still soaking the cotton, but why is she biting it??

Also, noticed that a small smount of dew/moist is gathering on the roof of the tube, will that be a problem?

Sorry for newbie questions :)

Edited by Tyrrea, June 20 2014 - 3:27 AM.

#14 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 20 2014 - 5:26 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

It's not because she's thirsty, but probably because she just either wants to go somewhere else, or at least wants to dig. Usually after a while, especially after they get some brood, they pretty much accept that where they are is going to be their nest and they chill out.

#15 Offline Crystals - Posted June 20 2014 - 6:12 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

A couple of my queens do that.

They want to drag some of the cotton around them to make them feel safer, or to help the larvae spin cocoons.  I gave them a pinch of sand and it mostly cured it.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#16 Offline Tyrrea - Posted June 23 2014 - 1:31 AM

Tyrrea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Looks like she has layed a total of 15 new eggs, I'm so happy ;)

#17 Offline Tyrrea - Posted June 29 2014 - 5:47 AM

Tyrrea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Disaster.... Maybe, I'm not sure...

It looks like the heat mat i had is broken, not warming anymore anyway, so temp has dropped to around 20* will the queen and eggs be ok? Since its sunday, I'm not sure if i can get a new mat in place, so any tips? i could set a heatlamp, but don't think that's a good idea...!?

No more cheap mats, that's for sure....

#18 Offline Michaelofvancouver - Posted June 29 2014 - 10:20 AM

Michaelofvancouver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationVancouver

20 degrees Celsius? That's a little bit low, but they should be OK. Brood development might slow down though.

Here's my leopard gecko/ant youtube: https://goo.gl/cRAFbK

My ant website.

It contains a lot of information about ants, guides, videos, links, and more!

If you have any feedback, please post here or PM me, don't be shy!

I currently keep:

Camponotus modoc

Formica podzolica

#19 Offline Tyrrea - Posted June 30 2014 - 11:43 PM

Tyrrea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

I got yet another question (I'm so glad you guys are here lol)

The water in the testtube is allmost gone, so i need to replace, i inderstand that putting a new tube in the end of hers and covering so its dark can get to move, but, instead of having to move her an extra time, will she move into the arcyllic formacarium i made if i open her test tube near the entrance and then cover the formacarium so its dark, hat way i don't have to move her anymore, and i can regulate the moist level as we get further?? there's some rather big larvae and a bunch of eggs that shell have to move!

Its no biggie if its not a good option, i got some new test tubes, and i can just move her into one of those, just, as mentioned, don't want to make her move more than i have to..

#20 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 1 2014 - 5:11 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

She will move into the formicarium if you just open the tube and leave it in the out world. This would be easier than trying to get her into another test tube. Sometimes they are quite comfortable where they are and won't want to move, but once the test tube dries out she will definitely leave and find some place with a little more moisture.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users