• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tetramorium Caespitium - Colorado - Discontinued 9/25/2018

pavement colorado sgheaton tetramorium

• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

#141 Offline swayvos-ants - Posted July 2 2017 - 9:17 AM

swayvos-ants

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Locationpittsburgh

so I've been on vacation for about a week and some days, and i came back all my ants are live and well but my tets have grown in size (about 6 eorkers now i have 15-20) so i gave them there first have killed insect ...the stung it and never did anything with it they won't take honey either all they do is drink water i sat them in a new cheap out world hoping that if i left the new food out there they would take it i woke up about a hour ago (11am) and went to go check n they haveent moved them at all or touched them. how can i get them to eat ???

#142 Offline sgheaton - Posted July 3 2017 - 8:29 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Begin with actually writing your own journal.

See how the thread you clicked to make this post is entitled "Tetramorium Caespitium - Colorado - Updated #####" ? That means it is my journal that I created to be specifically about my Tetramorium ants, that are in Colorado, and I'm updating them on that day. Once you've got a journal started, next is going to be attempting to write sentences with proper punctuation and capitals. 

7/3/2017 - LASIUS TOWERS - minor update

-------------------------------------------------------------

Guess who didn't make a lid yet? This guy. ....I'll go look for a lid after this update. It should be a celebration because my EXACT YEAR of success was on 7-2-16 I believe. I'll be on alert around my house though I don't want anymore Tets though I believe Zero has already found some Pogonomyrmex. Darn guy is the ant luck magnet.

Meanwhile in my yard, I've given the dang colony in my back yard the freaggin' tower palace deluxe. Can you spot Lasius Towers?

This....darn....sunflower....

is covered in crawlin' little bugaboos...

All over the dang thing. I've sat there and tried to find a leaf with one NOT on it and can't find it. Every single...leaf cluster, plant junction point...they are alllllll ovvveeerrr it. I was wondering are they living in it, but no, their base is continued to be at the base......and I water it every dang day.

I tell them not to do that and should move over, but they lack the necessary components to translate my verbal speak to something they understand. I evolved to the top of the food chain with thumbs, they can at least catch up some. I can't find this queen but it certainly is kinda fun having them out there on it. 

Colorado Tax:

Edited by sgheaton, July 3 2017 - 8:33 AM.

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#143 Offline sgheaton - Posted July 6 2017 - 5:58 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

7/6/2017 - BREACH 

---------------------------

Well....ya lil [censored] swords *EDIT: IT'S A TYPE OF SWORD DREW!!!!!!!..... ...party pooper....Fine! They are between the longsword and greatsword variety of ants. Meh. :P*.. What's gonna contain you...... A lid probably. I need to do that. Months ago. I'm rationalizing my lack of devotion between my busy lifestyle that those I find out of the tank are scouts and not really important. Yes, they can find new avenues for things but the entire colony isn't moving, so 1 vs 200 is ok. 

Not really. I found 3 walking on the OUTSIDE COVER. They were separated from the colony by the glass and were walking frantically all over. Probably trying to find their way back in.  Found another 2 on the top of the tank. They are getting out somewhere... Gotta be those silicon railways.. 

Reapplied Fluon. Should have cleaned off previous application but I was needing to go to work. I'm going to test my fluon as well because 1) curiosity but 2) I'd like to see its effectiveness. 55gal fish tank glass lid is too big. Upstairs tank has a plastic crappy lid meant for fish so that won't work. I've got some plexiglass things at work I need to see if I can use. Gonna have to cut them down band saw style. Otherwise I'm going to HomeDepot. ...tomorrow because I suck like that. Fall back plan was to set the entire fish tank into a tray of water. That would at least isolate the tank and prevent any ants from straying too far from the colony. 

Darnet ants..

Edited by sgheaton, July 6 2017 - 6:22 AM.

• T.C. and VoidElecent like this

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#144 Offline sgheaton - Posted July 10 2017 - 5:19 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Lid parts acquired. Will get on assemble ASAP. Probably been up to at least 20 workers out of the tank so far. The time spent away from the tank is a little bit of a panic test though lid parts should help some...... 

Gave them liquid feed yesterday for the heck of it and they seem to really enjoy it. 

They've taken to ... biting pieces of the sponge off and using it as "filling material" on the sides of things. This is a disaster waiting to happen. I might give them some more sand to play with...Finding Tetramoriums all over Colorado. 

#145 Offline sgheaton - Posted July 11 2017 - 4:58 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

7/11/2017 - Lid'd

------------------------

Meh. There. Done. 

But no, I'll shape this up better. I'm not convinced they cannot get through this still. 

I haven't decided to I want to cut down the chunks to fit in the inside inlays of the tank lip - or match it to the tank on top and then just put a line of silicon down that will seal whenever to two touch. For the time being this will work.... Books are there just for added weight, and they were the closest thing I had. 

Difficult to see, but there are 3 workers right at that corner on the lip surveying their glass ceiling. 

I need to note that I'd take my phone and turn on the light then rest it on the top of the lid pointing down in the tank ... and the light is nice. I'll probably incorporate some sort of lighting element moving forward. 

#146 Offline Kevin - Posted July 11 2017 - 5:26 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

That's funny you're having so many issues containing them. My colony of about 100 never even walks up the walls - in fact I don't have a barrier or a lid on it. When I first put them in there I put a barrier on but never reapplied it because they haven't tried to escape at all haha. Must like their setup or something.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#147 Offline sgheaton - Posted July 11 2017 - 6:26 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Or the world outside their formicarium is that much worse that they decide to forgo 'splorin'! 

Seriously though, them lil buggers are all over the place. Whenever I see them out'n'about I take it as a sign to feed and water things. Check up and all that...but everything appears normal. .....I think they are trying to block the light out better..sure. I do look at them all the time. ..daily. I dunno. 

Edited by sgheaton, July 11 2017 - 6:38 AM.

#148 Offline sgheaton - Posted July 13 2017 - 5:31 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Was not thinking when I put the lids on. What was an incredibly inefficient open-loop system became a close-looped hot box.

And it smells. I'll be cleaning things this weekend somewhat. Playing around with the chunks of plexi, I can range the humidity from 50%-90% in the outworld. The plan is to cut out hole and then fill back in with a screen mesh for ventilation. For now it's kinda fun to see. 

Didn't take a picture but I'll try and remember for later, they are burrowing into the sponge. Pieces are all over the formicarium now. They are never a wise choice to use. All the pieces are going to be mold goldmines. I have to give them credit for doing an efficient job of sealing off their chambers like they have. All that being said, I haven't done anything for my non-existant Pogonomyrmex that I'm feeling as though I should just focus on these Tets. For shenanny, I might stray off from Smiles original design and construct a second formicarium for the other preset place in the tet-tank. Should probably get it constructed before the old set up gets molded over. Not sure about moving it into place yet. All hopeful thinking.

In other news.... The Solenopsis Molesta colony is back! Oh boy.. Gave the daily morning cat treats to the neighbors cat and mine, came home to a pile of cat vomit on the back porch. Not thinking, attempted to kick off into the rocks -- that stuff is lookin' fuzzy..... Upon closer inspection, ...sure enough! They are sooooo tiny!! They...ripple whatever they move across. 

Its hard to take a picture of them. They are too small my phone won't pick them up. Gonna have to zoom in but there is a giant mess of them there. I believe they are living in the brickwork of the back porch. Yaayyy.....

#149 Offline sgheaton - Posted August 3 2017 - 5:16 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

8/3/2017

------------

Suppose I should update things. This is the current area. 

Can tell I'm in total serious mode between a pear cider, a syringe, and some pliers.

Really was just wanting to change out the sponge magazine. They had...began to dig/carve the sponge out. And as much as I didn't want that, they matched with not wanting me to mess things up.

don't think that tetramoriums are crazy to attack, but they were quick to react. Probably better to say that. They were FAST. Funny watching those try to climb the glass directly above the formicarium upwards. Some are smart and now the sides aren't as fluoned.

Would have them on my hand, much faster than I'd thought. I'd glance the edge and pick up 4-6 or have 4-6 on the pick tool I was using. 

They were immediately reacting to cover the sponge hole in their world.

Well I forgot about putting the sponge back in and so they moved a lot of sponge mass/sand in there to fill the gap. Realized that this morning at about...oh..4am. Went downstairs and sure enough.... had to scrape out the tunnel and shove the magazine in there. And again they were all over the place reacting. 

Still needing to clean/pick up things. Cut the lid. Finish the outworld. Maybe one of these days!

Edited by sgheaton, August 3 2017 - 5:17 AM.

• lucas3431 likes this

#150 Offline sgheaton - Posted August 14 2017 - 5:42 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

8/14/2017 - Lacking Update

---------------------------------------

So I've been busy with my personal life with things that I haven't taken care of my ants lately. I make sure they have water but feel them rather irregularly. I feel as though I should have super special ant food. Then I look down at work and see this:

Ants will eat people food... oh yeah! Ants eat people food! Regardless - not giving them people food. Woke up on Saturday to >90% humidity, which essentially molded up their food pile. They have buried their food in the sand. Then when hydration comes along, it sitting right on their food. Mold blanket. Didn't remove it though because I suck like that. Had to vacuum MY house first...Then theirs...maybe. Eh. I took a tick and scrapped it into a pile. Good for now!

No. They are actually being difficult. Any ant that is outside of the container has taken on the responsibilities of fighting the giant. 5 losers this morning. Probably up to... 30? I dunno. It's been an issue I'm not dealing with and am going to come home to a nightmare. I need to use my neighbors saw and cut the plastic pieces to fit the tank. 

what's most frustrating is I messed up getting the sponge back in the day I took it out. That they discovered they could plaster the walls with sand. It's been highly annoying. Haven't seen Zagara, the brood mother queen, in awhile. Assuming she's still in there. Found a grasshopper. Trip to the freezer, into the tank ..... next day the thing was buried. Weird. 

I've found ants around my house this weekend. Well...had an interesting run in. I'll need to make a separate post though. 

Oi! We be wasps and this be our home!

Bleugh!

• T.C., AnthonyP163 and lucas3431 like this

#151 Offline Antking117 - Posted August 14 2017 - 7:26 PM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska, USA

Hmmm, wasps love that thing in our backyard aswell.. same experience for me. I was mowing and got swarmed though.. i left them alone up until that.. when that happened I was the grim reaper.

#152 Offline sgheaton - Posted August 15 2017 - 5:34 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

They made a nest in it last year. I've got a lot flowers growing this year that my backyard is quite the ecosystem. Dun want these suckers though! Its kinda funny watching all the bees, hornets, and wasps, drink off the bird feeder. I'll sit and watch 15 at a time there. I can't get a good picture..keep trying..anyways, it's like the African plains drinking hole. Predator and prey alike gather together around the water source for a drink. ........ ONLY TO FLY OFF LATER AND MEET MY RAID SPRAY!

This year - decided to check it and sure enough they are already on it. Gonna be a long, one-sided battle this year. 

#153 Offline Antking117 - Posted August 17 2017 - 7:56 PM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska, USA

Oh wow, i murdered a huge nest probably hundreds out of ours with raid and lots and lots of it. i think they know not to go back as we called an electrician to come and open it up as we soaked the nest in it and repellent for the future :P

#154 Offline sgheaton - Posted August 18 2017 - 5:07 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I've got one of those...yellow... oh what are they... W.H.Y containers. Wasp, Hornet, Yellow jackets. It's 1/4 full and will be replaced this weekend.
Another one might be purchased for the other side of the home. They are all over the dang place.... 

Checked the post 3 days ago, still going in and out. Yesterdays check, nothing. I think they're still in there though. 

#155 Offline sgheaton - Posted September 18 2017 - 6:03 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

9/18/17 - Small (overdue) Update

----------------------------------------------

Been super swamped with work that I haven't taken a break from it to make the updates....heck, haven't even worked on the tetra-tank at all. Like, I'm fairly certain they are living underneath the out-world now. Some are at least. ...Sand came from somewhere. I think I had something like 1/4 a cup just free chillin' in there, and sure enough they've found it all. 

I did give them two crickets over the weekend. They were pleased.

Would.... ...began to form this...trail up the back side of the formicarium. Some continued upwards, but were met by the mega wall lid I've got goin' on right now.

Back in August I came across a HDPE cutting board that was FLAT on oneside. Bing, bang, boom, big gaudy eye sore in the living room was born! It does an incredible job at sealing things in. Moisture has to be dealt with daily or mold grows in a blanket. I have plans to cut/mesh up some holes on top... but I did 6 hours of carpentry this weekend instead!! 

Haven't seen Zagara in quite awhile. The colony still has workers/eggs/larva...so obviously she's there somewhere. The inside is a mess of sand. Lots of work needed right now. 

#156 Offline sgheaton - Posted October 6 2017 - 5:48 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

10/6/2017 

--------------

Tets are still good. I haven't updated them lately as things have been fine for the most part. Self contained in their PRISON BOX. Noticed two cliffhangers climbing against the lid this morning. Not concerned at all. I've watched them attempt to squeeze through the incredibly tiny gap that I cannot get a piece of paper through. 97% of the time they give up. I've had a couple (4) try to make the journey. They become supaflat. 

Humidity rides 88%-94% in the outworld. 

Haven't had a visual on ZAGARA, THE BROOD MOTHER in quite awhile either. I'm pretty sure they are living underneath the outworld now. Some are. I need to pick up the tank and check underneath. This weekend? Nah, going to Estes. It'll take a couple minutes. ....ehhh....... maybe.

Heck, this picture is dated 2017.09.24 so I'm clearly behind on updating things. And taking care of things. Meh. 

• T.C. and rdurham02 like this

#157 Offline sgheaton - Posted October 10 2017 - 6:15 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

10/10/2017

---------------

Snowed in Colorado yesterday. Car said 28 while coming in today. Gettin' cold outside while it's nice and toasty inside. 

I feed the birds at my house sunflower seeds. A fruit&nut bell was $2 so I bought them that for shinanny. Decided to give some to the ants. 

They seemed pleased. Watching them come from.... suddenly just ants! It's pretty fun trying to figure out what they are thinking. Hooray anthropomorphism.

The time has come to see their underworld living situation. Pretty sure this is one of their entrances....

Can't remain hidden from me!

And sure enough.... They are being butfores.

YOU!

And YOU!

There weren't as many as I thought out there. Oh well. At least I know there are some out there.. Goob-tards...

This morning, it appears they've moved the ..pellet seeds partway to the formicarium. I'll go through later and clean up things a bit. Old food containers moldy in there aren't good, etc. 

• T.C. likes this

#158 Offline sgheaton - Posted October 16 2017 - 11:42 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Last years (2016) hibernation started on November 6th. I think I'll shoot for November 3rd this year. 

Edited by sgheaton, October 25 2017 - 4:41 AM.

#159 Offline sgheaton - Posted November 20 2017 - 1:44 PM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

11/20/2017   - HIBERNATION

----------------------------------------

About time! Sheeeeeyyyyyyiiittt.... Was shooting for the 3rd. The 20th is close to that so I'm ... way off. Phff... whose counting. Me actually.. And I was off from my last years time. The heating wire has been unplugged since then. 

Wanted to clean their outworld. Figured I'd do this when there wasn't a party happening but there's been a group out n'about lately. Perhaps they are hungry because I haven't fed them in awhile. 

Foodin'

Fish/cat/honey/fresh water/and fresh liquid feed

Into the basement they go! 

Forgot to take a picture of the inside of the formicarium. It's a lil dirty. I'll need to work on a new one for next year. Got all winter to work on it though! .....considering I didn't cut the lid down or work on anything for the L. Flavus queens... .... yup!

#160 Offline T.C. - Posted November 20 2017 - 2:21 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Be sure ya hydrate the nest.

And do yours eat dog food?
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pavement, colorado, sgheaton, tetramorium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users