• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Brachymyrmex sp. Queen (Died)

brachymyrmex

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsMAN - Posted June 21 2016 - 12:06 PM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

I have a Brachymyrmex sp. Queen I've had since last September and still no eggs. I just changed her water and gave her some honey. Maybe she is infertile? Or do they generally take a long time to start? Also how long does a infertile queen live?

IMG_2468.JPG

Edited by AntsMAN, January 14 2017 - 4:03 PM.

Current queens/colonies

Camponotus novaeboracensis x2

Camponotus pennsylvanicus x2

Camponotus herculeanus x1

Formica sp. x1

Lasius americanus x1  (Lasius alienus)

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#2 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted June 21 2016 - 12:12 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I had similar trouble with this species when I tried a few years ago. I think they might benefit from a soil-filled test tube like Ponera does.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#3 Offline EstuaryAnts - Posted June 21 2016 - 12:13 PM

EstuaryAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationCarrollton Texas

Had the same problem with a queen of an unknown species but if she hasn't started by now she most likely isn't fertile. But you can try a soil based habitat.

Edited by EstuaryAnts, June 21 2016 - 12:14 PM.

#4 Offline MrmrGatlin - Posted June 21 2016 - 6:13 PM

MrmrGatlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationFort myers FL
Mine had popped out eggs within the first 24 hours, both groups. She is most likely infertile, especially since she hasn't pulled off her wings yet. Mine are patagonicus though so they might not be as picky. I would put a little sanitized(bake it at 250) soil in for her to mess with for another week or two to be sure.
Current Species-------------------------
Brachymyrmex Patagonicus [First workers]
Pheidole Floridana [R.I.P. :'( ]
Odontomachus Brunneus [Founding]

#5 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted June 23 2016 - 2:44 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Probably infertile.

#6 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted June 23 2016 - 3:29 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think that infertility resulted in a lack of workers.  I thought that the queen would still lay eggs and raise them, but the offspring would be males.  Perhaps my misunderstanding is that both scenarios happen.  It would seem more beneficial for the queen to have males in this case than no offspring a all.

Regardless, I have Brachymyrmex depellis in test tubes from last fall.  I'm pretty sure that they have a very tiny pile of eggs that's almost indistinguishable from the cotton.  Are you sure that their brood isn't on the cotton?  It actually took me a good bit of time to determine that there actually was a brood.  Oddly, they seem to be far behind my other colonies that were in a similar predicament.

~Dan

#7 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted June 23 2016 - 4:17 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think that infertility resulted in a lack of workers.  I thought that the queen would still lay eggs and raise them, but the offspring would be males.  Perhaps my misunderstanding is that both scenarios happen.  It would seem more beneficial for the queen to have males in this case than no offspring a all.

Regardless, I have Brachymyrmex depellis in test tubes from last fall.  I'm pretty sure that they have a very tiny pile of eggs that's almost indistinguishable from the cotton.  Are you sure that their brood isn't on the cotton?  It actually took me a good bit of time to determine that there actually was a brood.  Oddly, they seem to be far behind my other colonies that were in a similar predicament.

Good advice for a tiny species. You are also right about male offspring, but it's possible that since this queen still has her wings and is maybe not mated, she does not recognize herself as an independent queen.

In experiments with social parasite colony founding, in order to collect the number of queens necessary for statistical analysis, the queens are often taken straight out of their original nest, wherein they sit around to be cleaned and fed and not lay eggs. The researchers remove their wings by hand and suddenly they act like foundress queens, even though they never had a nuptial flight and never mated. It's possible that queens must experience certain triggers to carry out the responses involved with colony founding.

Oftentimes a dealated queen will try to found a colony whether or not she has mated, unless she finds conditions unsuitable. I would speculate that an alate queen like this is missing her behavioral triggers.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#8 Offline AntsMAN - Posted June 26 2016 - 3:17 PM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

I managed to remove one of her wings with no harm, but she is still holding on the the other one.

Current queens/colonies

Camponotus novaeboracensis x2

Camponotus pennsylvanicus x2

Camponotus herculeanus x1

Formica sp. x1

Lasius americanus x1  (Lasius alienus)

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brachymyrmex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users