• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ice's S. Invicta colony

fire ants solenopsis invicta ice huge

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Air - Posted June 9 2016 - 5:48 PM

Air

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Hello everyone! I am pretty new to this forum, and usually spend most of my time in the Chat, but hello! I am currently raising about 34 Solenopsis Invicta colonies. I am planning on putting all the queens togethert and make one huge super colony. But before, I will start here. I currently have every queen different test tubes, so they can lay eggs and such.

Once they all have eggs, I will put all the eggs, and queens in 1 big Labrynith formicarium. I have high hopes for this colony! I have been out of town, but last time I left I had 1 queen with about 37 eggs! 2 different clusters! So when I get home in an hour, I'm hoping to see every queen with decent eggs, and some with maybe their nanitics? Anyways, I hope you guys enjoy this journal, if anyone is interested in me starting this, please say so. Thank you guys!

Edited by Ice, June 9 2016 - 5:48 PM.

#2 Offline spytim - Posted June 15 2016 - 8:03 AM

spytim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
All the queens together? I have put S. Invicta together before and 95% of the time they kill each other off.
Maybe a more seasoned ant keeper on here can confirm or deny my statement?
  • Loops117 likes this

#3 Offline Air - Posted June 25 2016 - 10:08 PM

Air

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Either way, my heatpad malfunctioned and killed all of them off. I am now down to 1 queen.

• spytim likes this

#4 Offline spytim - Posted June 26 2016 - 6:08 AM

spytim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Either way, my heatpad malfunctioned and killed all of them off. I am now down to 1 queen.

Still i hope that one queen does well. :) 

#5 Offline Air - Posted June 26 2016 - 6:11 AM

Air

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

I don't think she'll live. She has her eggs scattered everywhere :(

#6 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 26 2016 - 6:12 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
I've mentioned elsewhere, queens that don't organize their eggs into neat piles generally are unfit and don't live very long.
  • ctantkeeper and spytim like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#7 Offline spytim - Posted June 26 2016 - 6:15 AM

spytim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

I've mentioned elsewhere, queens that don't organize their eggs into neat piles generally are unfit and don't live very long.

Yeah, I've noticed this also, only queen of mine to not fit this is one of my current invicta queens. Her eggs are everywhere but she just got workers so they are starting to clean up her work lol

#8 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted June 26 2016 - 6:16 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

All the queens together? I have put S. Invicta together before and 95% of the time they kill each other off.

they are pleometrophic, not polygynous.

#9 Offline 123LordOfAnts123 - Posted June 26 2016 - 8:05 AM

123LordOfAnts123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida

they are pleometrophic, not polygynous.

There's actually two genetic strains of Solenopsis invicta; one that's monogynous and another that's polygynous. The latter is distinguishable by its skinnier queens released during nuptials. I've found the monogynous queens can coexist if space is kept between them once workers arrive, though any physical contact results in hostility.
  • dermy likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fire, ants, solenopsis, invicta, ice, huge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users