• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Goldsystem's Ants! P.imparis update (April 20th 2018)

ant keeping journal

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted November 3 2016 - 4:42 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado
Love the p imparis! THE Tetramorium c also had a nice population. How's the pheidole doing?

YJK

#22 Offline Goldsystem - Posted November 3 2016 - 6:55 AM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas

Nice P. imparis you've got there! Where did you find the queen?

I found this girl in Portland Oregon :)

#23 Offline Goldsystem - Posted November 3 2016 - 6:56 AM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas

Really liking your P. imparis ! Are those the ones that also go by "false honey pot ants" sometimes? With their gasters distended they really have a very pleasing look and shape about them.

Yup P.imparis do go by false honey pot ants, or winter ants :)

#24 Offline Goldsystem - Posted November 3 2016 - 7:01 AM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas

Love the p imparis! THE Tetramorium c also had a nice population. How's the pheidole doing?

The pheidole are doing well they layed their first batch of eggs since moving into the mini hearth about a week ago and the eggs already hatched, and my tetramorium have 200-400 tiny larvae as well as large larvae and pupae
  • thosaka likes this

#25 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted November 3 2016 - 8:09 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

The pheidole are doing well they layed their first batch of eggs since moving into the mini hearth about a week ago and the eggs already hatched, and my tetramorium have 200-400 tiny larvae as well as large larvae and pupae

Nice man!

:>

#26 Offline Goldsystem - Posted November 3 2016 - 9:03 PM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas
Thx :D

#27 Offline Kevin - Posted November 4 2016 - 2:27 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey
I started with 4 tetra queens, just yesterday the second to last one was killed. I had two queens for a few months, but once the population gets to a certain point someone will be exiled ;)

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#28 Offline Goldsystem - Posted November 4 2016 - 2:38 AM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas
I started with 12 and now it's down to two hopefully they might be special and let two queens stay

#29 Offline Okeedoke22 - Posted November 4 2016 - 7:50 AM

Okeedoke22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNew York City

I also caught many Tetramorium Sp E.   I found a group of 6 queens huddled together with some eggs already.  So I kept them all together and after many months it twiddled down to 2.  And now finally only 1.  About 100 workers now maybe more. 

My Prenopelis Imparis has been a struggle.  I finally found the right temperture to keep them at and they have recovered a little. They were in a very hot place of my house that my Tetramorium's were thriving in. Unfortuntely they need to be much cooler.  

Still have not been able to find Camponotus Pennsylvanicus.  :(   

Good Luck

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E

Crematogaster
Brachymyrmex Sp.

Lasius Claviger 

#30 Offline noebl1 - Posted November 4 2016 - 8:45 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

My Prenopelis Imparis has been a struggle.  I finally found the right temperture to keep them at and they have recovered a little. They were in a very hot place of my house that my Tetramorium's were thriving in. Unfortuntely they need to be much cooler.  

I've got the opposite problem; couldn't find a single P. Imparis (the one I really really want and envious of these photos), but could find hundreds (no exaggeration) of C. Pennsylvanicus this Spring/Summer.  Guess I need to go to a bit more urban location, and you need to keep an eye out in heavily wooded areas.  Not sure how many there are in Central Park in NYC (especially as you need lots of rotten wood that may get cleaned up in Central Park? not sure).  However this upcoming Spring watch the MA/CT/NY threads (here and on AC) for the Nuptial flight posts and try Central park.  When C.Pennsylvanicus flies, at least last year was a good chunk of the North East all at the same time.

Edited by noebl1, November 4 2016 - 8:49 AM.

#31 Offline Okeedoke22 - Posted November 4 2016 - 9:49 AM

Okeedoke22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNew York City

I've got the opposite problem; couldn't find a single P. Imparis (the one I really really want and envious of these photos), but could find hundreds (no exaggeration) of C. Pennsylvanicus this Spring/Summer.  Guess I need to go to a bit more urban location, and you need to keep an eye out in heavily wooded areas.  Not sure how many there are in Central Park in NYC (especially as you need lots of rotten wood that may get cleaned up in Central Park? not sure).  However this upcoming Spring watch the MA/CT/NY threads (here and on AC) for the Nuptial flight posts and try Central park.  When C.Pennsylvanicus flies, at least last year was a good chunk of the North East all at the same time.

I really need to go to central Park more often.   Man I felt like I was looking everyday in the summer.  I'm a rookie so most days I'm going out for nothing. 

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E

Crematogaster
Brachymyrmex Sp.

Lasius Claviger 

#32 Offline Goldsystem - Posted November 4 2016 - 10:12 AM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas

I also caught many Tetramorium Sp E. I found a group of 6 queens huddled together with some eggs already. So I kept them all together and after many months it twiddled down to 2. And now finally only 1. About 100 workers now maybe more.

My Prenopelis Imparis has been a struggle. I finally found the right temperture to keep them at and they have recovered a little. They were in a very hot place of my house that my Tetramorium's were thriving in. Unfortuntely they need to be much cooler.

Still have not been able to find Camponotus Pennsylvanicus. :(

Good Luck

I have been keeping my p.imparis at around 65-69 degrees F and they have seemed to do very well at that temperature, and so far I have found that they seem to live in areas with walls, like walls that hold back dirt or at least that's were they are most prevalent in my area.

#33 Offline noebl1 - Posted November 4 2016 - 10:46 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

I really need to go to central Park more often.   Man I felt like I was looking everyday in the summer.  I'm a rookie so most days I'm going out for nothing. 

I know that feeling :)

#34 Offline noebl1 - Posted November 4 2016 - 10:47 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

@Goldsystem  Have you figured out the deal with hibernation and P. Imparis?  I've heard everything from it's a delayed/shorter hibernation to they don't hibernate at all in the winter as the usually shut down most of the summer.

#35 Offline Goldsystem - Posted November 4 2016 - 1:57 PM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas

@Goldsystem Have you figured out the deal with hibernation and P. Imparis? I've heard everything from it's a delayed/shorter hibernation to they don't hibernate at all in the winter as the usually shut down most of the summer.

I haven't figured out the hibernation situation yet but I plan on getting a fridge and cooling them when I see no more P.imparis outside. Though I do believe they require some sort of hibernation, and from what I have seen they are not that active in the summer but very active spring and very early summer
  • noebl1 likes this

#36 Offline noebl1 - Posted November 4 2016 - 3:03 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

When I finally get a viable P. Imparis queen, I've thought about using a peltier cooler during the summer to try keep them <70F when the room gets warm.  Maybe next year I'll find a fertile one :(

#37 Offline Goldsystem - Posted November 4 2016 - 3:26 PM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas
Well I wish you luck, I originally had two but one was Infertile

#38 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted November 4 2016 - 6:48 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado
P imparis is also polygynous

YJK

#39 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted November 4 2016 - 7:54 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

True, also being the only ant that loves the cold.

:>

#40 Offline Canadian anter - Posted November 5 2016 - 6:57 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

no they are pleometrophic meaning that they will onky be polygynous juring the founding stage

True, also being the only ant that loves the cold.
there are also other cold loving prenolepis out there
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ant keeping journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users