• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Camponotus laevissimus Journal [173] (Discontinued 12-14-2021)

dspdrew journal camponotus laevigatus little thomas mountain san jacinto mountains california

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#41 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 16 2017 - 12:50 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 3-16-2017

I just took these out of hibernation. It looks like one worker in the "wood box" died. The colony with just one worker looks healthy still. As for the single queen, she died.

#42 Offline nurbs - Posted March 16 2017 - 2:06 AM

nurbs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Found three of these last year up in the Eastern Sierras. Two of them died early on. The remaining one which got out of hibernation last month has 14 workers and lots of eggs and pupae.

Instagram:
nurbsants

YouTube

California Ants for Sale

Unidentified Myrmecocystus

https://www.formicul...ls-near-desert/

Undescribed "Modoc"

https://www.formicul...mp-ca-5-4-2017/

Camponotus or Colobopsis yogi:

https://www.formicul...a-ca-1-28-2018/

Camponotus us-ca02
https://www.formicul...onotus-us-ca02/

Unidentified Formica

https://www.formicul...l-ca-6-27-2020/

Pencil Case and Test Tube Formicariums
https://www.formicul...m-and-outworld/

Bloodworm Soup
https://www.formicul...bloodworm-soup/

#43 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 1 2017 - 12:22 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 4-1-2017

Not sure where the dead ones went, but it looks like there is only one or two workers left in the "wood box" colony.

As for the other queen, she just laid ten new eggs. :D

gallery_2_194_629520.jpg
  • Karma likes this

#44 Offline Antking117 - Posted April 1 2017 - 12:31 AM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska, USA

These things are so sweet looking! I wonder, might these be in Nebraska? Also where can i even find a list of ants in my state? :) Thank you!

#45 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 1 2017 - 1:07 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
I don't think this species is, but possibly another Camponotus species. AntWeb usually lists most of the species in a given State, but sometimes it's not very complete. Unfortunately, this is all they have listed for Nebraska.
  • Martialis likes this

#46 Offline Antking117 - Posted April 1 2017 - 1:18 AM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska, USA

I don't think this species is, but possibly another Camponotus species. AntWeb usually lists most of the species in a given State, but sometimes it's not very complete. Unfortunately, this is all they have listed for Nebraska.

Thank you very much, yeah we have much more ants than that 0.0 I've seen so many lists, but i was not sure if there was an accurate site. I do know we have camponotus, but these are so shiny.

Edited by antking117, April 1 2017 - 1:18 AM.

#47 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 1 2017 - 2:18 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah, these are really shiny and have pure white hairs.

#48 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 27 2017 - 11:39 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 4-28-2017

I just found a bunch more of these queens April 21st and 22nd in Mount Baldy.

#49 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 6 2017 - 2:16 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 10-6-2017

These queens have been doing great this year. Colony growth is a little slow, but I haven't had hardly any deaths. Right now my largest colony has 13 workers.

#50 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 13 2018 - 10:07 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 1-13-2018

I haven't lost very many of these colonies, but the colonies have lost a lot of workers. I moved them out of the warm room they were in, and into the air conditioned area of my apartment, but so far I haven't seen any improvements. I just now put them all into hibernation for the winter.

#51 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 8 2018 - 9:41 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 6-8-2018

I just took these out of hibernation about a week ago. All four colonies are still very small. Two only have one worker, and the other two both have six workers.

• Enderz likes this

#52 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 3 2018 - 5:59 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 12-3-2018

These are all dead now.

• Karma likes this

#53 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 6 2019 - 6:53 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 6-6-2019

Found only a single one of these in Mount Baldy, CA on April 8th.

So far it is going great. It just got its first workers about two weeks ago.

• TennesseeAnts and B_rad0806 like this

#54 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted June 7 2019 - 12:21 PM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Nice :)

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

#55 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 8 2019 - 1:01 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 6-8-2019

I just found 15 more of these queens near Angelus Oaks, CA on June 6th. I found them in my usual spot up there, about 700 feet higher than Angeleus Oaks. As always, they were all over the large rotted pine logs that they all live in. It has been so cold all year so far, that it wasn't until now that that area reached high enough temperatures for them to fly. There was a bit of an inversion layer which helped, as it was damp and about 59 degrees at the bottom of the mountains, and dry and about the same temperature 6500 ft up where these were.

#56 Offline Dukagora - Posted June 27 2019 - 7:59 PM

Dukagora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationPrescott, Arizona

How is the colony in the wood box doing? Have numbers increased or did I mis read and they passed? I often wonder if deaths in general occur because of the environment we place them in verse what they would choose in the wild. I noticed with what I think are C. fragilis that when the workers I collected were put in test tubes so I could snap pictures, they just stopped moving. The Major looked to be grooming itself but the standard worker just kinda stood there. Almost like it was missing environmental clues needed to get it moving along and doing what it would normally do. Once I released them from my paltry photography attempts, they behaved as they normally would. Just curious on thoughts about that but if you want me to move that question to another thread let me know.

#57 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 13 2019 - 1:47 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

How is the colony in the wood box doing? Have numbers increased or did I mis read and they passed? I often wonder if deaths in general occur because of the environment we place them in verse what they would choose in the wild. I noticed with what I think are C. fragilis that when the workers I collected were put in test tubes so I could snap pictures, they just stopped moving. The Major looked to be grooming itself but the standard worker just kinda stood there. Almost like it was missing environmental clues needed to get it moving along and doing what it would normally do. Once I released them from my paltry photography attempts, they behaved as they normally would. Just curious on thoughts about that but if you want me to move that question to another thread let me know.

Update 12-3-2018

These are all dead now.

#58 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 13 2019 - 1:48 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 7-13-2019

A couple of the new queens just recently got their first workers.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

#59 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 4 2019 - 1:09 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 12-4-2019

All of these colonies still only have between one and eight workers. I just put them all into hibernation the other day.

#60 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 16 2020 - 12:17 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 5-16-2020

I just took these out of hibernation today. Many of them lost most of their workers during that time. The largest two now have only three workers.

I did find a bunch more of these queens a few weeks ago.near Big Bear, CA.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dspdrew, journal, camponotus laevigatus, little thomas mountain, san jacinto mountains, california

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users