• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

mesh material that camponotus won't chew through?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ironsickel - Posted May 27 2016 - 10:48 PM

ironsickel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationRockford, IL

So, I learned the hard way that camponotus will make short work of fiberglass.  Whoops. Live and learn.  

She didn't chew enough to escape, but it was close.

So, my question is, what material is "safe" that camponotus won't chew through?  Is aluminum okay?

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 27 2016 - 11:12 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Can you please provide photos of the damage?
  • Okeedoke22 likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline ironsickel - Posted May 28 2016 - 4:50 AM

ironsickel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationRockford, IL
She did this in a couple hours.

Attached Images

• image.jpeg

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 28 2016 - 5:48 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
I see your problem. The mesh you have there is too coarse and probably brittle. Camponotus will absolutely not be able to chew through a finer gauge mesh of any type. I prefer 250-350 micron polypropylene for its working properties:

http://amzn.to/1TOKrIm

As long as the ants do not have a gripping surface for their mandibles, such as fraying or imperfections in the mesh, they will not be able to shear off sections and chew away at it.

Edited by drtrmiller, May 28 2016 - 5:58 AM.

• dspdrew and LC3 like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 28 2016 - 8:48 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Nylon and stainless steel will work well too. If it is covering something with a lot of humidity, I would stay away from metals other than stainless steel. Even cheap stainless steel mesh will eventually start rusting. I don't use metal mesh at all in any humid area.

#6 Offline Guest__000886_* - Posted May 29 2016 - 2:15 AM

Guest__000886_*
  • Guests

Nylon and stainless steel will work well too. If it is covering something with a lot of humidity, I would stay away from metals other than stainless steel. Even cheap stainless steel mesh will eventually start rusting. I don't use metal mesh at all in any humid area.

Do you recommend only using nylon mesh inside moist formicarium?

#7 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 29 2016 - 6:50 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Do you recommend only using nylon mesh inside moist formicarium?

Nylon is good. Like drtrmiller said, polypropylene is good too.

#8 Offline Vendayn - Posted May 29 2016 - 10:32 AM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Actually since this topic was brought up and I meant to ask. Drew, what mesh are you using for the formicariums I bought from you? And where did you get it? Was always curious about that, but any time I had a chance to ask I forgot. :P

#9 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 29 2016 - 10:41 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
I get 100 micron mesh from Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/...ef sieve filter

#10 Offline Guest__000886_* - Posted May 29 2016 - 12:20 PM

Guest__000886_*
  • Guests

I get 100 micron mesh from Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/...ef sieve filter

You dó use stainless steel? I'm trying to find the right mesh material; using it to block of the sponge from the ants. Should I still opt for stainless, or choose nylon, based on your experiences? Further; I read somewhere that you had a far better solution for humidity than using a sponge. Can you direct me to your topics about that? I'm eager to learn, but you've so many posts written! I'm kinda lost! (Also, I'm sorry for my English, it's not my native tongue.)

#11 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 29 2016 - 12:53 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I do use stainless steel mesh on out worlds, and areas that are not kept wet or humid.

Both of these topics discuss a lot about hydration.

http://www.formicult...ated-4-22-2016/

http://www.formicult...ated-4-13-2016/

#12 Offline TofuPower - Posted June 29 2016 - 8:24 AM

TofuPower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationColumbia, SC

Some Vape shops carry various kinds of steel mesh.

If there are a few in your area, you should be able to walk in and check out the screens by hand to make sure its what you're looking for.

Call ahead first, because not all of them have them... using steel mesh is kind of a new thing I think.

I've seen the bulk mesh screens for the do-it-yourselfers, and also little steel screen caps made to fit into a vaping tank.  Those little caps would fit perfectly into a cut circle, or into the end of some tubing.

These vape shops also tend to carry 100% organic and unprocessed cotton.

And, if they mix their own juice, they should have either medical or industrial syringes...though they may have a policy to not sell those.

#13 Offline Loops117 - Posted June 29 2016 - 9:04 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

Some Vape shops carry various kinds of steel mesh.

If there are a few in your area, you should be able to walk in and check out the screens by hand to make sure its what you're looking for.

Call ahead first, because not all of them have them... using steel mesh is kind of a new thing I think.

I've seen the bulk mesh screens for the do-it-yourselfers, and also little steel screen caps made to fit into a vaping tank.  Those little caps would fit perfectly into a cut circle, or into the end of some tubing.

These vape shops also tend to carry 100% organic and unprocessed cotton.

And, if they mix their own juice, they should have either medical or industrial syringes...though they may have a policy to not sell those.

Smokers shops always carry it. You can get pipe screens (which are what vape shops carry) for super cheap. Usually have different sizes as well.

• BrittonLS likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users