• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Workers and majors - Pheidole SP? Sydney, Australia

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CoolColJ - Posted February 17 2018 - 9:02 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

1. Location (on a map) of collection: backyard in East Lindfield, Sydney, Australia
2. Date of collection: 18/2/2018
3. Habitat of collection: pavement on side of house, nest in opening inbetween pavement bricks
4. Length (from head to gaster): workers 2-3 mm, majors around 5 mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: redd'ish -orange with darker gaster
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Big headed majors, much larger than the workers
7. Distinguishing behavior: Moves medium speed to faily fast, majors seem aggressive and not timid

Well I saw this ant nest opening in a pavement crack, with a small amount of dirt piled around the opening, and an occasional worker popping out to deposit some dirt, but it seems dead most of the time.
I figured it was a newly founded colony, and there is a crazy black ant trail that runs right over the nest entrance all day with a lot of black ants...

So I dropped a piece of apple next to the nest opening and within 10 secs a flood of ant came pouring out!
I counted at least 20 majors outside on the apple, and 2 standing just inside the nest opening standing guard.
These majors are not timid at all, and seem quite aggressive biting the twig I teased them with.

I have some Pheidole in other parts of my backyard, but these live in dirt holes on the grass lawn, and eat grass seeds.
Workers of the same size, but much darker in colour, closer to black, and the majors have even bigger heads than the ones shown here, and are very timid.
The Pheidole majors rarely come out when I drop an apple outside, and when they do, it's only in 1-2s and they only stay for a few second.
They will run away back to the nest when provoked with a twig, unlike these ants here.
So I'm not sure if they are Pheidole at all

Video - you can see the crazy black ants running by, through, and a red/black gaster ant (Tetramorium Bicarinatum?) on the far right being attack by a worker, and a major every so often towards the end :)

detail pics - click to enlarge

Edited by CoolColJ, February 17 2018 - 9:11 PM.

• CamponotusLover likes this

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#2 Offline LC3 - Posted February 17 2018 - 9:09 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

This is a Pheidole sp., Pheidole majors don't only exist to serve as soldiers. In some species their roles range from a replete (i.e to store food) to a heavy duty worker (e.g seed crushing), or just extra muscle. In most species it's a combination of these, other times they're just specialized in one role.   

Also the genus Pheidole is also the most diverse ant lineage, with tons of differing morphologies and behaviours across many environments.

Edited by LC3, February 17 2018 - 9:12 PM.

#3 Offline CoolColJ - Posted February 18 2018 - 1:47 AM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Hopefully I'll get a queen from this species, much more interesting than the other typical passive Aussie Pheidole

Pheidole nupital flights should start happening within the next few weeks - fingers crossed :)

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users