• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Advice on keeping workers from different species alive in southern California?

veromessor pergandei tapinoma sessile formica francoeuri solenopsis xyloni polyergus breviceps worker southern california

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ahale - Posted May 23 2016 - 3:21 PM

ahale

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi all, my name is Amanda and I'm a UCR Phd student new to entomology and ants in general. Does any one have advice on how to keep workers alive for at least 8 weeks? I'm going to collect these species in Riverside, CA: Veromessor pergandei, Tapinoma sessile, Formica francoeuri, and Solenopsis
xyloni. I will try to collect a Polyergus breviceps colony if it has any slave species, but it looks like it is rare in southern California.

For my project, I have to keep their diet and enclosure as similar as possible, if not identical. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

#2 Offline Subverted - Posted May 23 2016 - 3:27 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Keeping workers alive for long periods without a queen can be quite a challenge.

I would suggest you perform some experiments with workers in test tubes feeding them insect matter and sugar solution(nectar mix) but you may have to work at it to keep things alive for 8 weeks. Can you elaborate on what your goals are for your project?

• ahale likes this

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#3 Offline ahale - Posted May 23 2016 - 3:33 PM

ahale

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I need to track changes in the worker's bacterial community in their gut over 8 weeks, based on similar housing conditions in a lab. They need to be sampled first in their natural habitat, which is why I wanted to avoid taking the entire colony with the queen. Is keeping a colony with a queen the best bet?

#4 Offline Subverted - Posted May 23 2016 - 4:05 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

I think it might be....but maybe someone else has some method of keeping workers without a queen viable for that long?

The only time I can think of that I managed something similar was when the workers had brood they were caring for.

• LC3 and ahale like this

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#5 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 23 2016 - 4:42 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I need to track changes in the worker's bacterial community in their gut over 8 weeks, based on similar housing conditions in a lab. They need to be sampled first in their natural habitat, which is why I wanted to avoid taking the entire colony with the queen. Is keeping a colony with a queen the best bet?

A queenless colony may also skew the outcome of your study (considering the duration), since the workers interact with the queen through cleaning and trophallaxis, picking up all manner of pheromones and other gyne-specific compounds, which may very well affect composition of gut flora.

Also, is there a reason Camponotus is not on your list?  They have a very interesting gut situation going on.

Edited by drtrmiller, May 23 2016 - 4:57 PM.

• LC3, Loops117 and ahale like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#6 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 23 2016 - 6:24 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I was under the impression that P. breviceps wasn't actually here in CA, after James C. Trager published the revision, but now that I look at Antweb, It looks like they still are. I know that P. vinosus (recently described by him) is quite common here in Southern California, as I have found them multiple times.

• ahale likes this

#7 Offline gcsnelling - Posted May 24 2016 - 2:21 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

I suspect you are going to have a tough time keeping any of those species alive out to 8 weeks. Proper hydration is going to be the key though. Check with some of the other ent students though they may some ideas.

Edited by gcsnelling, May 24 2016 - 2:22 AM.

#8 Offline ahale - Posted May 26 2016 - 1:29 PM

ahale

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

A queenless colony may also skew the outcome of your study (considering the duration), since the workers interact with the queen through cleaning and trophallaxis, picking up all manner of pheromones and other gyne-specific compounds, which may very well affect composition of gut flora.

Also, is there a reason Camponotus is not on your list?  They have a very interesting gut situation going on.

Because I'm look for certain inter-species differences, the effect of no queen interaction on the microbiome shouldn't skew the type of data needed at this stage. Camponotus wasn't chosen because I have species paired by certain factors - I wish I could look at all the species! P. vinosus can't be used for similar reasons, they seem to only raid moki.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: veromessor pergandei, tapinoma sessile, formica francoeuri, solenopsis xyloni, polyergus breviceps, worker, southern california

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users