• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

New Orleans Queen ID

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Giganimbobo - Posted May 14 2016 - 10:27 AM

Giganimbobo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I found these two ants a couple of days ago in a rural area near sand, a day after it rained. I am not sure that these are even queen ants, as this is my first year in the ant hobby. 

The first photo is of the first ant, about 8mm, and seems to be very calm despite all the movement she's had in the past couple of days. 

The next two photos is of the other ant, which is about 1cm and moves around a lot compared to the other one. Any help would be appreciated IDing these ants, Thank You! 

Attached Images

• ant3.JPG
  • ant2.JPG
  • ant4.JPG

#2 Offline Runner12 - Posted May 14 2016 - 2:02 PM

Runner12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Solenopsis invicta, aka fire ant queen

#3 Offline Kwitzats - Posted May 14 2016 - 3:28 PM

Kwitzats

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas
I concur i caught one today in fact. I really stink at photos of ants as i do not have capable equipment, but try to get a side view so you can see the petioles and a close face view for identification. I'm lucky if i can get a picture at all, most of the time tho.

IMHO of course.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users