• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Looking for a Queen(s)in Montana

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Offline JediPeaceFrog - Posted May 7 2016 - 10:36 PM

JediPeaceFrog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMontana
I know this is a serious long shot, considering the lack of amatuer myrmecologists in Montana...I would like a queen from any of these species: Tetramorium Sp. e, Camponotus Herculeanus, Camponotus Modoc, or Lasius Niger. If you have one of these queens w/ brood all the better. I am located in Ravalli Co., just south of Missoula. Thanks!

#2 Offline LC3 - Posted May 8 2016 - 5:23 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

All of those species except Tetramorium seem to be present in Montana. Camponotus herculeanus and Camponotus modoc should be currently flying or preparing or may have already flown. Lasius niger is present in N. America but in isolated locations.

#3 Offline JediPeaceFrog - Posted May 9 2016 - 7:11 AM

JediPeaceFrog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMontana

All of those species except Tetramorium seem to be present in Montana. Camponotus herculeanus and Camponotus modoc should be currently flying or preparing or may have already flown. Lasius niger is present in N. America but in isolated locations.

Yes to all of the above, with the exception of Tetramorium. I know they aren't listed anywhere as inhabiting Montana, but I think they do, it just hasn't been 'officially' recognized. Yesterday I located a L Niger colony while hobbling down by the river, neatly nested under a rock. I've kept Niger in years past, but never harvested a wild colony before. Any suggestions?
Modoc & Herculeanus are indeed flying. The reason I ask if anybody in my area has any is because I have arthritis, so it's not always easy for me to hike around queen hunting. So if anybody in Montana can help me out, that would be great.

#4 Offline Mdrogun - Posted May 9 2016 - 3:22 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Just a tip, you are most likely finding Lasius neoniger, the North American version of Lasius niger.

• Crystals likes this

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#5 Offline JediPeaceFrog - Posted May 9 2016 - 3:25 PM

JediPeaceFrog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMontana
Yes, you are correct.

#6 Offline LC3 - Posted May 9 2016 - 5:02 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Yes to all of the above, with the exception of Tetramorium. I know they aren't listed anywhere as inhabiting Montana, but I think they do, it just hasn't been 'officially' recognized. Yesterday I located a L Niger colony while hobbling down by the river, neatly nested under a rock. I've kept Niger in years past, but never harvested a wild colony before. Any suggestions?
Modoc & Herculeanus are indeed flying. The reason I ask if anybody in my area has any is because I have arthritis, so it's not always easy for me to hike around queen hunting. So if anybody in Montana can help me out, that would be great.

Got any pictures of said Tetramorium? Just curious.

#7 Offline JediPeaceFrog - Posted May 9 2016 - 6:02 PM

JediPeaceFrog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMontana

You want a pic of Tetramorium? Well, it's pretty easy to find on the web, but here's one for you.

#8 Offline LC3 - Posted May 9 2016 - 8:42 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

You want a pic of Tetramorium? Well, it's pretty easy to find on the web, but here's one for you.

No I meant do you have any pics of Tetramorium in your state, like a few mounds you found around in your area. :lol:

#9 Offline JediPeaceFrog - Posted May 9 2016 - 10:37 PM

JediPeaceFrog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMontana
No, I don't have any pics. Like I said in my earlier post, I think they are here, even though they haven't been officially documented yet. But when I find the evidence, I'll make sure I'll send it right to you.

#10 Offline Crystals - Posted May 10 2016 - 7:19 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Several species in your area - https://www.antweb.o...ana&images=true

That list isn't complete, so not much work in ants may have been done.

But you are just south of Alberta where I live, so you should have most of the species found in Alberta and more.

Tetramorium are not in our area - however we do have several species that look close at a glance, such as Myrmica and Aphaenogaster.  We have had a few people convinced they found Tetramorium and it turned out to be Aphaenogaster or Myrmica. 

We do have a lot of Lasius species, especially Lasius neoniger.  We also have a lot Formica and Camponotus.

Best of luck finding a queen or colony.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#11 Offline Miles - Posted May 10 2016 - 7:20 AM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

I've seen Tetramorium in Bozeman, MT.

• JediPeaceFrog likes this

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#12 Offline Crystals - Posted May 10 2016 - 7:29 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

That is interesting.  I did not think that they were this far west in the northern US.  I could be wrong.

Although I know they are not in Alberta. 

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#13 Offline Miles - Posted May 10 2016 - 7:35 AM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

That is interesting.  I did not think that they were this far west in the northern US.  I could be wrong.

Although I know they are not in Alberta. 

They are also present and common in Northern Idaho, right up to the near-border city of Sandpoint, ID, just south of British Columbia. 

Edited by Miles, May 10 2016 - 7:35 AM.

• LC3 and JediPeaceFrog like this

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#14 Offline JediPeaceFrog - Posted May 10 2016 - 10:24 AM

JediPeaceFrog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMontana
'Tetramorium is widespread in the Pacific NW'. Geographically, montana is part of the pacific NW. http://entnemdept.uf...avement_ant.htm

#15 Offline JediPeaceFrog - Posted May 10 2016 - 10:30 AM

JediPeaceFrog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMontana
http://www.insectide...ed-Pavement-Ant

Another site that confirms Tetramorium does exist in Montana, Wyoming, N and S Dakotas.

#16 Offline LC3 - Posted May 10 2016 - 6:38 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

They're also present here in Richmond and most likely Vancouver too and have been here for a while. Not sure about anywhere else in BC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users