• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Shadow's Formica Subsericea Journal

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Offline 1Shadow1 - Posted September 19 2020 - 3:01 AM

1Shadow1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationIndiana
  •        So I went out on a Hike around the turn of July to August. We had just had a storm a couple of days before and I was looking for a new fishing spot along the lake. On my way back I noticed something crawling across the deer path. It happened to be a Formica Subsericea queen and we have a lot around here that live in the forests and fields. Of course I had nothing to put her in so I had to hold the queen in my hand while I traveled a couple of miles to my vehicle. They may not be able to bite very hard but that didn't stop her from trying.... :thinking:

•        When I got home I put her in a test tube setup, placed her in the incubator and forgot about her for the most part. Once in awhile I would check on my Pogonomyrmex colony and I would see how she was doing...she didn't seem to mind a little bit of light at all (Not like Pogonomyrmex). Formica is tame in Comparison! Anyway I noticed in short order she had laid eggs and seemed to be doing great.

• Last week I checked on her and discovered that she 5 Nanitics.  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  I figured it was time to feed them so I diluted sugar and honey and gave them a few drops. They loved it! Yesterday I checked on them and she had a new batch of eggs that the newly hatched Nanitics were taking care of. As with my Pogonomyrmex Journal I plan on getting pictures soon. It is hard for me to bring them out and treat them like a celebrity when that's exactly what they don't like. Especially at an early stage. I believe this Journal will have pictures before my other journal though. Especially since those Pogonomyrmex hate company. I will try to get pictures up here within a couple of days.

Edited by 1Shadow1, September 19 2020 - 3:02 AM.

• ANTdrew and AntsDakota like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users