• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

***NEW*** byFormica Liquid Feeding Kits Now Available (2017 version)

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 Offline PTAntFan - Posted March 17 2017 - 5:51 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

Terry,

At one point you were working on a new type of food.  It was a gel, ball type thing.  Did I miss an update on that?  Still in the works?

• ctantkeeper likes this
PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#22 Offline drtrmiller - Posted March 17 2017 - 5:53 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

At one point you were working on a new type of food. It was a gel, ball type thing. Did I miss an update on that? Still in the works?

The DewDrop is still in process. I found another way not to make them just this past weekend.

Failed experiment:

Hopefully they can be introduced this year.

Edited by drtrmiller, March 17 2017 - 5:58 AM.

• Martialis likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#23 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted March 17 2017 - 1:45 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

At one point you were working on a new type of food. It was a gel, ball type thing. Did I miss an update on that? Still in the works?

The DewDrop is still in process. I found another way not to make them just this past weekend.

Failed experiment:

Hopefully they can be introduced this year.

I really look forward to seeing this on amazon!!! Can we see a photo of the dispenser?

#24 Offline Kevin - Posted March 17 2017 - 3:36 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

That is quite the experiment haha.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#25 Offline Serafine - Posted March 22 2017 - 5:52 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany
This is what Antstore does. However their feeders have a small sponge in the lower part (which must be replaced from time to time) and from what I've read the ants can make the feeder leak.

ameisentraenke_center.jpg

ameisenarena_center-seitenfunktion_5187_

ameisentraenke_fuer_ameisenarena_center_

I'd like to have a feeder that has the byFomrica printed bottom (no sponge, doesn't leak), some sort of cap that can be opened (to add water with a pipette) and can be plugged to the outworld's inner wall.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#26 Offline Loops117 - Posted March 22 2017 - 6:04 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

This is what Antstore does. However their feeders have a small sponge in the lower part (which must be replaced from time to time) and from what I've read the ants can make the feeder leak.

ameisentraenke_center.jpg

ameisenarena_center-seitenfunktion_5187_

ameisentraenke_fuer_ameisenarena_center_

I'd like to have a feeder that has the byFomrica printed bottom (no sponge, doesn't leak), some sort of cap that can be opened (to add water with a pipette) and can be plugged to the outworld's inner wall.

Do it

#27 Offline drtrmiller - Posted March 22 2017 - 7:05 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Yes, I'm well aware of the AntStore feeders. Mine are better, and function exactly like the Galileo line of feeders. They're in development and will be available later in the year.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#28 Offline XZero38 - Posted March 22 2017 - 8:58 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

In the feeder kits, do the small ones still have the plastic reservoir or are they the glass ones? The small plastic ones work for a time but I've noticed at least with mine that after a while they start to break around the edges and let all the liquid seep out.

#29 Offline drtrmiller - Posted March 22 2017 - 9:00 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

In the feeder kits, do the small ones still have the plastic reservoir or are they the glass ones? The small plastic ones work for a time but I've noticed at least with mine that after a while they start to break around the edges and let all the liquid seep out.

In the 2017 model, the bases are identical and with glass reservoirs that may be used interchangeably. The base design is similar to the 2016 model for the threaded bases.

#30 Offline XZero38 - Posted March 22 2017 - 9:08 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

In the 2017 model, the bases are identical and with glass reservoirs that may be used interchangeably. The base design is similar to the 2016 model for the threaded bases.

Well looks like ill be needing to order another set so i can have the small threaded glass reservoirs. 

#31 Offline Serafine - Posted March 22 2017 - 9:34 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany
Mine are all glass.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

#32 Offline XZero38 - Posted March 22 2017 - 9:42 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

Mine are all glass.

the set i bought is the 2016 set back in june

#33 Offline Californian Anter - Posted March 23 2017 - 3:46 PM

Californian Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationFremont, California

I just got a set, but I don't think my Camponotus can drink from them because they(the ants) are too big.

Keeper of:

Camponotus Vicinus

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E x2

#34 Offline drtrmiller - Posted March 23 2017 - 3:52 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
All Camponotus species, aside from C. gigas, should have no problems sticking their head capsules inside the ports. Camponotus pennsylvanicus is even shown in one of the photos:

• Jelly likes this

#35 Offline panda0224 - Posted March 23 2017 - 4:29 PM

panda0224

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

just purchased that set together with the nectar on amazon! can't wait for that gel food thing (I missed out on the earlier one)

by the way any chance for you to capture a few Camponotus queens later in the season? I can just drive down there and pick them up :)

edit: I just received the nectar and ant feeder! my ants are going crazy! they never been this frenzy over food, not even honey :D

Edited by panda0224, March 24 2017 - 4:50 PM.

#36 Offline Serafine - Posted March 23 2017 - 4:52 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Sorry that I still did not give you any feedback on the feeders or the Sunburst but Lazy Tube keeps staying lazy and has not consumed any (or any noticeable amount of) sugars over the last 3 weeks. I hope that changes soon though, there's four pupa that should hatch any day now.

#37 Offline Californian Anter - Posted March 26 2017 - 6:02 PM

Californian Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationFremont, California

Alright, I can now attest to the fact that my colony can drink from the feeders. A worker was full of sugar water, though I've never personally seen a worker drinking from the feeders. I would love to see later generations or majors try to drink from it though  :D . Thank you Terry for your support!

Terry the legend

Keeper of:

Camponotus Vicinus

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E x2

#38 Offline drtrmiller - Posted March 29 2017 - 6:19 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Due to unforeseen demand, byFormica Galileo Liquid Feeders have become out-of-stock in European marketplaces.

byFormica Galileo Liquid Feeders (6 pack) are scheduled to be back in-stock in European marketplaces April 5 to April 11.

Thank you all for your kind patience and support.

Edited by drtrmiller, March 29 2017 - 6:19 AM.

• Jelly likes this

#39 Offline Jelly - Posted March 29 2017 - 10:57 AM

Jelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Congrats on your new product doing so well!

• Alabama Anter likes this

#40 Offline Serafine - Posted March 29 2017 - 11:24 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Yep, I've seen several people from a german forum using them lately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users