• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

***NEW*** byFormica Liquid Feeding Kits Now Available (2017 version)

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Offline drtrmiller - Posted April 13 2016 - 5:51 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

For Immediate Release:

byFormica Galileo liquid feeders are improved and updated for 2017. All reservoirs are made of threaded glass that screw in perfectly to the plastic base.

A new, larger 16 ml "XL" size is available separately, and is recommended for feeding water only, except to very large colonies.

Galileo feeders are stocked in the US, Canada, UK, Germany, France, Spain, and Italy on the respective Amazon site for your region. The US store exports to dozens of countries around the world, and the UK/EU stores serve all EU member countries.

Here is a video showing the product, courtesy of Rob J in the UK:

Edited by drtrmiller, March 17 2017 - 5:23 AM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 17 2016 - 7:54 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Mid April, I announced the upgrades will be coming.  I've finally got everyone's threaded base manufactured, and am in the final stages of confirming addresses and sending them out to you guys.  But I have a surprise:

The new design that many of you will be receiving features some improvements beyond simply adding a thread for the new glass reservoirs.  The new design completely eliminates every single problem I've personally had, and many users have reported having with these and other liquid feeders:

• Ants can enter the reservoir after the liquid is depleted (SOLVED)
  • Ants place debris on the liquid, causing it to drain out (SOLVED)
  • Ants may be sucked into the feeder (SOLVED)
  • Liquid evaporates too quickly (SOLVED)

With this monumental upgrade comes a new name—the GALILEO 360 Liquid Feeder for ants.

The previous name change was "Guzzler" because it clarified that the liquid feeder was capable of feeding ants quickly.  The new upgrade removes the quick feed feature in order to correct all the problems that plagued the product since the very beginning, and so that is the reason for the name change.

While I can't address exactly how I was able to fix all these problems, if anyone does have general questions, don't hesitate to ask :)

All new US orders will include the new version.  All UK/DE/EU orders will receive free upgrades via mail a few weeks after your purchase.

Edited by drtrmiller, May 17 2016 - 8:41 AM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline Okeedoke22 - Posted May 17 2016 - 2:08 PM

Okeedoke22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNew York City
Looks awesome. I only have queens no workers right now but want to be prepared for when the time comes.

When I click link to Amazon it doesn't show up. Only Fluon and sunburst nectar. Are you sold out in US?

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E

Crematogaster
Brachymyrmex Sp.

Lasius Claviger 

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 20 2016 - 12:36 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

When I click link to Amazon it doesn't show up. Only Fluon and sunburst nectar. Are you sold out in US?

Yes, I need assemble some more kits.  They'll be up in a few days.

Edited by drtrmiller, May 20 2016 - 12:37 PM.

#5 Offline Okeedoke22 - Posted May 20 2016 - 5:18 PM

Okeedoke22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Yes, I need assemble some more kits.  They'll be up in a few days.

Great. Good problem to have. I will keep a look out.

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E

Crematogaster
Brachymyrmex Sp.

Lasius Claviger 

#6 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 2 2016 - 1:51 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I finalized the logistics for getting these shipped safely all over the world as cheaply as possible, and am assembling all the upgrade kits now.

All potentially eligible customers who purchased this product from Feb 28, 2016 to present, on Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, or Amazon.it, have been emailed to let you know your upgrade order is being prepared.  Final order/upgrade verification will be completed when all the packs are assembled for shipment.

Edited by drtrmiller, June 2 2016 - 3:19 PM.

#7 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 13 2016 - 5:26 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

All upgrades have been shipped:

On June 10, 2016, all upgrades were dispatched to customers worldwide who purchased byFormica Liquid Feeders separately on Amazon between Feb 28, 2016 to present.  US customers should receive their upgrade kits this week, and customers in other countries should receive their kits in 1-2 weeks.

New product configurations available now:

A Basic (6 pc) and a Deluxe (8 pc) liquid feeding kit are now both available on Amazon.com.  Both are currently available with free shipping for U.S. customers, and will be available through Amazon Prime in 1-2 weeks, as soon as all the parts can be manufactured.

>>>  Click here to find the GALILEO Deluxe Kit on Amazon.com <<< (coming soon to other countries)

>>> Click here to find the GALILEO Basic Kit on Amazon.com <<< (coming soon to other countries)

Edited by dspdrew, June 14 2016 - 3:54 PM.

• Okeedoke22 likes this

#8 Offline Okeedoke22 - Posted June 14 2016 - 7:49 AM

Okeedoke22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNew York City

All upgrades have been shipped:

On June 10, 2016, all upgrades were dispatched to customers worldwide who purchased byFormica Liquid Feeders separately on Amazon between Feb 28, 2016 to present.  US customers should receive their upgrade kits this week, and customers in other countries should receive their kits in 1-2 weeks.

New product configurations available now:

A Basic (6 pc) and a Deluxe (8 pc) liquid feeding kit are now both available on Amazon.com.  Both are currently available with free shipping for U.S. customers, and will be available through Amazon Prime in 1-2 weeks, as soon as all the parts can be manufactured.

>>>  Click here to find the GALILEO Deluxe Kit on Amazon.com <<< (coming soon to other countries)

>>> Click here to find the GALILEO Basic Kit on Amazon.com <<< (coming soon to other countries)

Ordered mine today! I don't even need them yet but I didn't want to chance them getting sold out. Thank you

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E

Crematogaster
Brachymyrmex Sp.

Lasius Claviger 

#9 Offline Okeedoke22 - Posted June 14 2016 - 8:02 AM

Okeedoke22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Wow. It already shipped. Amazing service. 

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E

Crematogaster
Brachymyrmex Sp.

Lasius Claviger 

#10 Offline PTAntFan - Posted June 14 2016 - 10:29 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

I got mine and I am very happy with the upgrades, Terry.  Great job, great customer service.  Your commitment to providing customers with the quality they think they are purchasing is unsurpassed. 

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#11 Offline Okeedoke22 - Posted June 14 2016 - 11:44 AM

Okeedoke22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Agreed. Plus the cost is not high at all. For what terry gives you its almost giving it away.  Sunburst ant nectar being included makes it a great deal. 

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E

Crematogaster
Brachymyrmex Sp.

Lasius Claviger 

#12 Offline Antfollower - Posted September 1 2016 - 2:11 PM

Antfollower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Ordered my deluxe kit off amazon.  The ants and myself love your products.  I appreciate the amount of time you've put into your products testing and design.  

#13 Offline drtrmiller - Posted September 2 2016 - 4:41 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Ordered my deluxe kit off amazon.  The ants and myself love your products.  I appreciate the amount of time you've put into your products testing and design.

Thank you so much for those kind words.  I'm really humbled and grateful to be a part of the online antkeeping community, and to be able to make things that so many of you find helpful.  It's friendly folks like you that keep me going, and I'm eternally thankful for your support.

Also, welcome to the forum  :)

Edited by drtrmiller, September 2 2016 - 4:46 AM.

• ctantkeeper likes this

#14 Offline Serafine - Posted March 17 2017 - 2:07 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Did you ever consider making a huge feeder (like 100-200ml or so) that can be plugged to the wall of a formicarium for increased stabilization (would still have the regular feeder socket, just bigger/with more openings) and has a top that can be opened so you don't have to remove the feeder to refill it? I'd buy that.

• Antking117 likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#15 Offline Antking117 - Posted March 17 2017 - 2:36 AM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska, USA

Did you ever consider making a huge feeder (like 100-200ml or so) that can be plugged to the wall of a formicarium for increased stabilization (would still have the regular feeder socket, just bigger/with more openings) and has a top that can be opened so you don't have to remove the feeder to refill it? I'd buy that.

YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

#16 Offline nurbs - Posted March 17 2017 - 2:52 AM

nurbs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Hey Terry - does the 8 pc come with the 2017 Sunburst formula? What improvements or changes were made in the new formulation? Was thinking about getting this feeder set along with the new Sunburst.

I've been using a bottle of your original Sunburst, and all my ants love it.

Well, most of them do. I recently fed a drop of Sunburst to all the new queens I caught this past week. They all took to it as expected except one C. quercicola who drank it and then within a few minutes she puked it all back out and made a mess of the test tube. I've never seen a queen do this, so it was fascinating to watch.

Instagram:
nurbsants

YouTube

California Ants for Sale

Unidentified Myrmecocystus

https://www.formicul...ls-near-desert/

Undescribed "Modoc"

https://www.formicul...mp-ca-5-4-2017/

Camponotus or Colobopsis yogi:

https://www.formicul...a-ca-1-28-2018/

Camponotus us-ca02
https://www.formicul...onotus-us-ca02/

Unidentified Formica

https://www.formicul...l-ca-6-27-2020/

Pencil Case and Test Tube Formicariums
https://www.formicul...m-and-outworld/

Bloodworm Soup
https://www.formicul...bloodworm-soup/

#17 Offline drtrmiller - Posted March 17 2017 - 5:19 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Did you ever consider making a huge feeder (like 100-200ml or so) that can be plugged to the wall of a formicarium

Yes, such a project is in process. Designing the perfect mating connector and way of actually interfacing with the side wall and hole are very big challenges, however.

The liquid feeder portion itself works perfectly, and I've been using ones that plug into the side of a formicarium or foraging area for the past 9 months. The ability to connect to a variety of holes that people make is the main setback, and I haven't invested too much time in that part yet.

That said, this will definitely become available in 2017.

Hey Terry - does the 8 pc come with the 2017 Sunburst formula? What improvements or changes were made in the new formulation?

Yes, the 8 pk does include a 120 ml bottle of Sunburst. This bundle variation is currently only available on the US and Canada Amazon sites. It also exports from the US Amazon site to many countries around the world.

The Sunburst 2017 changes are very minor, and if Sunburst is working well for you, you shouldn't notice any change whatsoever in receptivity. The changes are technical, primarily for the improved preservation and physical material properties of the liquid. The label is now also waterproof.

Regarding the Camponotus "vomit," I frequently observed this when ants would eat the old Formula Blue 100, they would have a designated spot in the nest where there were many small, blue-colored stains. I have no idea why they did this, but my best guess is that either the nest was too dry, and they were attempting to hydrate it, or they were removing the excess moisture so they could ingest a higher concentration of other vital nutrients. Either way, given the ingredients of the food and the intermittent frequency of the behavior, I don't expect any bio incompatibility with any species of Camponotus.

Edited by drtrmiller, March 17 2017 - 5:19 AM.

#18 Offline sgheaton - Posted March 17 2017 - 5:25 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

My apologies for not looking at the lil' pamphlet that came with everything (its at my house and I only post during work..)
While you're answerin' questions, Terry, I'll tac one on. 

How long does the liquid food last? I've had it sitting on a dark, dry bookshelf and not in a refridge like I have the fluon.

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#19 Offline drtrmiller - Posted March 17 2017 - 5:29 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

How long does the liquid food last? I've had it sitting on a dark, dry bookshelf and not in a refridge like I have the fluon.

Sunburst bottles are currently marked with a "Use By" or "Best By" date that is 2 years from the date of manufacture. The product does not require refrigeration once opened, and will remain fresh indefinitely if not contaminated (i.e. do not spit in it, add pond water to it, or let ants crawl inside it).

Sunburst works best when ants are fed as much as they can consume within a couple of hours, every 2-3 days, or as needed. Combined with the smallest variation of Galileo liquid feeders (1 ml), a small, 60 ml bottle of Sunburst Ant Nectar can feed a single colony for up to 6 months.

Edited by drtrmiller, March 17 2017 - 5:32 AM.

#20 Offline sgheaton - Posted March 17 2017 - 5:33 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Awesome. Thanks for the quick response. 2 years from date of manufacturing gives me another year with the stuff, (assuming the stuff I bought in 2016 was made in 2016). I've got plenty from last year. I doubt I'll even use all of it. 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users