• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Popa Spruca (BIG PICTURES)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Zeiss - Posted April 13 2014 - 11:01 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

I have not had any luck with finding queens so far; so I thought why not post about my newest Mantid.  It is a Popa Spurca (otherwise known as a Twig Mantis) that I got at my local reptile store.  

030_zpsaef64ef2.jpg

029_zpsc1df0bd4.jpg

024_zpsf4ddfca8.jpg

021_zpsa7bfd1b6.jpg

(I don't know how big or how small the pictures need to be so please do inform me...)

The camera I used is a Nikon D5100.

Edited by Zeiss, April 13 2014 - 11:06 PM.

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 14 2014 - 2:43 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

That thing's awesome. It doesn't matter how big your pictures are, the forum will automatically downsize them to 800px if they are larger than that.

#3 Offline Zeiss - Posted April 14 2014 - 7:02 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

That thing's awesome. It doesn't matter how big your pictures are, the forum will automatically downsize them to 800px if they are larger than that.

Okay, thanks for the information!  :D

#4 Offline Crystals - Posted April 15 2014 - 6:02 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Nice. 

What do you feed it?

How long do they normally live?

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#5 Offline specimen24-6 - Posted April 15 2014 - 9:12 AM

specimen24-6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationUSA, California
I use to have a few of those. They live over a year and they eat any live insect that is smaller than they are. What other species do you have Zeiss. :)

#6 Offline Zeiss - Posted April 15 2014 - 5:54 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Nice. 

What do you feed it?

How long do they normally live?

Since it is only about on its 2nd or 3rd instar, I would feed it one medium cricket a week.  And if you feed them every other day, they live around 6 months.  What I do is feed them one big one every week and they live around a year/year and a half.  I am planning on getting some flies to feed it next time I am at a reptile/bug show.  I also give mantids some honey every now and then as a treat.

I use to have a few of those. They live over a year and they eat any live insect that is smaller than they are. What other species do you have Zeiss. :)

This is the first one I have had in a year...  I used to have an oxyopsis gracilis, a rhombodera valida, a few phyllocrania paradoxa, about 40 creobroter pictipennis(due to a fertile female).  Sadly they died due to a heating incident...  Any who, I am keeping my eye out for any Devil's Flower Mantids(idolomantis diabolica).  I've wanted one for some time now.

#7 Offline specimen24-6 - Posted April 15 2014 - 9:49 PM

specimen24-6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
Very impressive, I hope you get your hands on a idolomantis diabolica or two.

#8 Offline Zeiss - Posted April 16 2014 - 5:33 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Very impressive, I hope you get your hands on a idolomantis diabolica or two.

Yeah I do too.  The only downside to owning one is that from what I have heard, is that they are very hard to keep.

#9 Offline specimen24-6 - Posted April 17 2014 - 8:16 PM

specimen24-6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
They do look very complex but as long as you maintain have good humidity, keep warm, and good ventilation then you should be fine. I also read that they only eat flying insect,and ground dwelling are bad for them. :/ Also they can have mis-molts.

#10 Offline Zeiss - Posted April 18 2014 - 8:22 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

They do look very complex but as long as you maintain have good humidity, keep warm, and good ventilation then you should be fine. I also read that they only eat flying insect,and ground dwelling are bad for them. :/ Also they can have mis-molts.

Every species can have mis-molts if there is not enough moisture when they start to molt.  What I do if I am not able to feed flies is just grab a cricket or dubia roach and just wave it in front of their face with my fingers.

#11 Offline LAnt - Posted April 21 2014 - 5:42 PM

LAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

How much was he?

#12 Offline Zeiss - Posted April 21 2014 - 6:01 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

How much was he?

$20

#13 Offline LAnt - Posted April 23 2014 - 6:11 PM

LAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

It would be pretty cool if you could breed them but that is probably impossible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users