• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Acrylic Ant nest

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Crystals - Posted April 12 2014 - 6:43 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

My Lasius needed an upgrade and since they are growing so fast I thought I would try out an acrylic nest.

Took me a few trials to get everything right and then let the ants move in.

I used a scroll saw to make strips of acrylic from some scrap laying around, the bottom and top panes are glass as they scratch less easily.  Slow speeds and certain bits work better than others for cutting acrylic with a scrollsaw.  I didn't have quite the right bit, so I couldn't carve tunnels or anything fancy.

DSC06726_zps5a0465f0.jpg

DSC06724_zps83e0c07f.jpg

DSC06727_zpsd9f714b4.jpg

I used aquarium silicone to silcone all of the tunnel pieces down to the bottom pane of glass.  I only siliconed the outside border on the top pane.  So in the water chamber, the top joint of the acrylic tunnel and top glass is un-siliconed to allow water to hydrate the nest through evaporation. 

I made 2 water tunnels - I could have made them much smaller as I haven't added any water in 2 weeks and the sand is still soaked.  In several trials with the water chamber it turns out that it needs some sort of filler or the water promptly floods the tunnels.  It needs to be at least 2/3 full, or preferably, completely full of sand or some other inert filler.  I advise rinsing the sand first to remove dust.

I also carved/sanded a small nick into the top of the acrylic in the water tunnels to allow water to get into the joint more easily.  I made these little "channels" go completely across the acrylic and connect both water chamber and tunnel - it was un-needed, I really only needed the smallest nick on the water chamber side to allow the water to creep between the glass top and the acrylic walls that made up the water chamber.

I drilled a hole in the glass with a diamond bit to connect an outworld.

I used 2 pieces of 3mm acrylic for the tunnels, and the scroll saw melted the edges of the 2 pieces together.  Nice and solid.  I had hoped to add the tubing ports to the side, but the tubing that would fit into a 6mm space would not allow the Lasius queen to pass.  So I ended up drilling a hole in the top glass.  I don't really like drilling glass, it tends to crack too much as I get impatient and go too fast.

Next time I will make the tunnel walls taller to all me to add the tubes to the side (or I could even add an additional solid piece of acrylic to the bottom glass pane if I don't want the tunnels deeper).  Acrylic is much easier to drill than glass, and far more forgiving.

All in all, the ants don't seem to mind it.  I prefer more natural setups so I am a bit unsure about it.  But it is doing what it is supposed to.

I suspect smaller ants wouldn't mind this kind of setup, but I wouldn't use this setup for Formica, Camponotus, or other larger species. I think they may have trouble getting traction on the smooth surfaces.

Not sure if I will build another acrylic nest or not.  I may just stick with firebrick as all ants seem to love it.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#2 Offline Matt - Posted April 12 2014 - 8:57 AM

Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationFrance

Good job!

But, it's too bad to have put the hunting area ON the nest, because it's less convenient to see your ants which seems to love be under the hunting area right now!

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 12 2014 - 10:38 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

When you said you used a scroll saw I thought you were cutting out a pattern, not stips. Why didn't you use a table saw for that, it would have been a million times easier?

#4 Offline Crystals - Posted April 12 2014 - 11:04 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

When you said you used a scroll saw I thought you were cutting out a pattern, not stips. Why didn't you use a table saw for that, it would have been a million times easier?

A table saw goes so fast it would coat the blade in melted acrylic.  Ruining the blade.  Honest I thought of that, and several other implements, but the blades move so fast the melting acrylic binds to the blade.  I didn't worry about ruining a scroll saw blade worth $1.50.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 13 2014 - 6:11 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

That's weird because I know that's how the plastic shop cuts their acrylic. I also cut mine with a micro table saw, and I will admit, it does melt the acrylic, but I use a super thin diamond blade, so it's not a problem. I actually like that it cuts the way it does, because it's very quiet, and quiet is good when living in an apartment. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users