• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Gearing Up

help question

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Bearcoon - Posted March 17 2016 - 4:26 PM

Bearcoon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Hey, last year i only managed to find a single pogonomyrmex queen, it got some brood and a few workers but didn't take kindly to Relocation once its test tubes water supply ran out (i was still working on the Formicarium at the time) soon after it died, what I would like is some help getting ready for my next try with the Pogonomyrmex's this year any advice would be Appreciated thanks!

#2 Offline dermy - Posted March 17 2016 - 4:29 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Do you plan on keeping any other Species? Do you have any other species of ants that you currently keep? If it was me I'd be trying out various different species, not just Pogomyrmex, since from what I've heard they aren't the easiest species in the world to keep.

#3 Offline Bearcoon - Posted March 17 2016 - 4:45 PM

Bearcoon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

I'm not currently keeping any other species but in the past I've kept common pavement ants, those are the two main species around my home

#4 Offline PTAntFan - Posted March 24 2016 - 7:36 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA
Bear, I've found the Pogonomyrmex to be very difficult to keep. Well, impossible for me, I've had about 5-8 queens fail and die. I think the queens really prefer natural settings and are unhappy in glass or plastic containers. They also like to roam which is impossible to accommodate. All in all they just don't settle down and start producing well. They also seem really picky with food.

Take a look at Crystal's post on formicariums, at the bottom of her list of member setups is a link to one I just came up with that might work. It lets you start small with a founding chamber and then you can expand it when workers show up. If you don't care about visibility so much you can go with a soil setup. Drew has some good setups for this too.

Good luck! I know the frustrations well.
PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#5 Offline Bearcoon - Posted March 24 2016 - 8:08 AM

Bearcoon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Thanks!

#6 Offline Crystals - Posted March 24 2016 - 9:02 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Take a look at Crystal's post on formicariums, at the bottom of her list of member setups is a link to one I just came up with that might work. It lets you start small with a founding chamber and then you can expand it when workers show up. If you don't care about visibility so much you can go with a soil setup. Drew has some good setups for this too.

That List of handy links thread is pinned in the General section (as well as in my signature).  There is a thread for formicariums for founding queens that may work better for Pogonomyrmex.  Be sure to post how it turns out.

You may even be able to find a more uncommon queen this year, once you get used to looking for queens, you can spot them far more easily.

There are lots of ways to find and catch queens.  Some simply involve replacing a light bulb with a blacklight and walking outside during tv commercials at night.  :D

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#7 Offline Bearcoon - Posted March 24 2016 - 9:07 AM

Bearcoon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

definitely looking in to other kinds if possible I'm taking a trip up to goblin valley and in the past I've noticed some that look interesting, thanks for all the help!

#8 Offline Subverted - Posted March 24 2016 - 10:08 AM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Bear, I've found the Pogonomyrmex to be very difficult to keep. Well, impossible for me, I've had about 5-8 queens fail and die. I think the queens really prefer natural settings and are unhappy in glass or plastic containers. They also like to roam which is impossible to accommodate. All in all they just don't settle down and start producing well. They also seem really picky with food.

Pogonomyrmex queens do best in dirt. You can get them up to about 10 workers in a test tube but after that they just seem to really need a dirt setup. As far as food...I didn't have any trouble getting mine to take slightly crushed poppy seeds, dandelion seeds, and etc.. They also like bugs a lot. :)

One thing I have not noticed is them trying to roam around too much but Pogonomyrmex are one of the easiest ants to allow to forage. They cannot climb glass and are pretty easy to contain!

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#9 Offline Bearcoon - Posted March 24 2016 - 10:13 AM

Bearcoon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

I never thought about poppy seeds!, i was trying to forage for the same things as the local population and they beat me to the punch :P

• Crystals likes this

#10 Offline Subverted - Posted March 24 2016 - 2:20 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

I grabbed a bunch of the dried flower heads of buckwheat plants (Eriogonum sp) and use those to feed Pogonomyrmex also. If you have a local species of those keep an eye out in the next few months and the higher up ones should be out of reach of the ants!

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#11 Offline Bearcoon - Posted March 24 2016 - 2:29 PM

Bearcoon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Awesome!, i Really appreciate all the help I've been getting so far from you guys

#12 Offline Shaye - Posted March 26 2016 - 10:36 PM

Shaye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

I have found that all of my Pogonomyrmex's LOVE raw sunflower seeds. I bought a good sized bag at Trader Joe's for cheap and they keep it in their nest and let the brood munch on it until it's gone (after watching them when they don't have brood they even eat it themselves despite it being a solid). It's also one of the easiest seeds for Pogonomyrmex's to grab In my experience.

Edited by Shaye, March 26 2016 - 11:15 PM.

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?

#13 Offline Bearcoon - Posted March 26 2016 - 10:47 PM

Bearcoon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
Thanks, I'll definitely keep that in mind

#14 Offline Shaye - Posted March 26 2016 - 11:29 PM

Shaye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Good luck with the new anting season!  (y)

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?

#15 Offline Bearcoon - Posted March 27 2016 - 7:10 AM

Bearcoon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
Good luck to you as well :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: help, question

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users