• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hi folks

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Offline rufaman - Posted February 26 2016 - 5:05 AM

rufaman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Just joined today after the sad loss of another large ant forum which was the biggest in the UK. I got into ant keeping by visiting this site http://anthillwood.com and have had a keen interest in ants and other insects for many years now. As you may already have gathered I live in England, so I hope to find topics of interest here.  (y)

• ctantkeeper and Lavetafloup like this

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted February 26 2016 - 6:45 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Ant Hill World always had a really strange and cultish following.  I remember joining a while back, only to learn that 90% of the forum was inaccessible until I published the required number of posts.  No thanks!

It is a shame that all those member contributions were lost into the ether of a paid forum service, however. Complete lack of leadership.

Hope you find your time here worthwhile!

• Trailandstreet, ctantkeeper and klawfran3 like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline rufaman - Posted February 26 2016 - 6:55 AM

rufaman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Ant Hill World always had a really strange and cultish following.  I remember joining a while back, only to learn that 90% of the forum was inaccessible until I published the required number of posts.  No thanks!

It is a shame that all those member contributions were lost into the ether of a paid forum service, however. Complete lack of leadership.

Hope you find your time here worthwhile!

Lack of what? You are just a complete a'hole mate if you talk about my wife like that. Yes, I am Wood Ant from the AHW forum, and you my friend are just a moron!

#4 Offline klawfran3 - Posted February 26 2016 - 7:05 AM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Lack of what? You are just a complete a'hole mate if you talk about my wife like that. Yes, I am Wood Ant from the AHW forum, and you my friend are just a moron!

I have literally no idea what just happened, but I think you need to step back and calm down rufaman. No one said anything about your wife, no one attacked you or anyone specific, and drtrmiller was just stating a fact about a forum he visited.

Edited by klawfran3, February 26 2016 - 7:06 AM.

This message brought to you by the Committee for the Education of Folks who Describe Arthropod Taxa as 'Not Interesting' (CEFDATNI)

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 26 2016 - 7:38 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Welcome. :)

• rufaman and Jelly like this

#6 Offline rufaman - Posted February 26 2016 - 8:45 AM

rufaman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I have literally no idea what just happened, but I think you need to step back and calm down rufaman. No one said anything about your wife, no one attacked you or anyone specific, and drtrmiller was just stating a fact about a forum he visited.
Jen ran the forum as the admin for ten years, and it had over 2000 members, so to say it lacked a good leader shows no respect for admins. I hope if you guys ever have to fight for your country you show more respect for good leaders?

#7 Offline Crystals - Posted February 26 2016 - 2:41 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Welcome to the forum.

Lots of nice tutorials here - http://www.formicult...y-links/?p=6001

• rufaman likes this

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#8 Offline dermy - Posted February 26 2016 - 3:26 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Welcome to the Forum!

Just joined today after the sad loss of another large ant forum which was the biggest in the UK. I got into ant keeping by visiting this site http://anthillwood.com

Yes, I am Wood Ant from the AHW forum

Wait, so let me get this straight, your own website got you into ants?! :|

• LC3 likes this

#9 Offline rufaman - Posted February 26 2016 - 3:33 PM

rufaman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Welcome to the Forum!

Just joined today after the sad loss of another large ant forum which was the biggest in the UK. I got into ant keeping by visiting this site http://anthillwood.com

Yes, I am Wood Ant from the AHW forum

Wait, so let me get this straight, your own website got you into ants?! :|
Should have said sites like this, and books too as I have kept ants for 52 years, but you know this as you were a member of our forum.

#10 Offline Reacker - Posted February 26 2016 - 11:06 PM

Reacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationFree State of Greater Potatonia

Welcome to the forum, any and all personalities are welcome here. 

• Martialis likes this

#11 Offline Zeiss - Posted February 27 2016 - 8:50 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Welcome to the forum!

#12 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted March 1 2016 - 9:00 AM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Welcome!

#13 Offline Ants4fun - Posted March 1 2016 - 10:13 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Welcome!

#14 Offline drtrmiller - Posted March 2 2016 - 6:02 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
And what do you know! Ant Hill World has been resurrected! Isn't this the second time it's been brought back from the dead in the last year? Stellar leadership, I must concede :)
  • dermy, ctantkeeper, Subverted and 3 others like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#15 Offline Honey - Posted March 2 2016 - 11:18 PM

Honey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationUK
I am Jen who is admin of that forum. Yes I had crashed it due to nasty sarcastic bullies like you who spoil it for the good ones, and cause an enormous amount of stress for leaders. My account, my forum, an admin can take a forum down anytime they like. If you think the forum is crap, why are you snooping around it (this AM uk time) but not contributing. Your account is deleted.
Goodbye!

#16 Offline drtrmiller - Posted March 3 2016 - 2:15 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I am Jen who is admin of that forum. Yes I had crashed it due to nasty sarcastic bullies like you who spoil it for the good ones, and cause an enormous amount of stress for leaders. My account, my forum, an admin can take a forum down anytime they like. If you think the forum is crap, why are you snooping around it (this AM uk time) but not contributing. Your account is deleted.
Goodbye!

So the readers clearly understand, I never made a single post to your forum, and the entire extent of our interaction has been limited to the two posts I made in this thread, above. As such, your reply only reinforces my earlier point.

As to your comment: bullies use their advantage in size, influence, or control to dominate others. I have full confidence that the readers will be able to ascertain who the real bully is, given your boastful admission of using your pulpit of power to "make a point" and shame an established and reputable member of the antkeeping community, all for the high crime of casually dissenting here to the way your forum was managed.

The fact that you would patrol outside forums to quash dissenters is further proof of hubristic lunacy.  You may want to Google "megalomania," as I feel you may be a model case study for science.

Spoiler

Edited by drtrmiller, March 3 2016 - 10:55 AM.

• Reacker, Ants4fun, dermy and 6 others like this

#17 Offline Reacker - Posted March 4 2016 - 2:52 PM

Reacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationFree State of Greater Potatonia

http://www.burncentrecare.co.uk/

Edited by Reacker, March 4 2016 - 2:55 PM.

• klawfran3 likes this

#18 Offline Trailandstreet - Posted March 9 2016 - 6:07 AM

Trailandstreet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Hawedere here from Austria

:hi: Franz

if you find any mistakes, it's my autocorrection. it doesn't speak english.

#19 Offline Leo - Posted May 11 2017 - 5:27 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

argument much...

#20 Offline Leo - Posted May 11 2017 - 5:34 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members