• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Veromessor pergandei Journal [138] (Discontinued 12-14-2021)

dspdrew messor pergandei journal

• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#101 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 2 2015 - 4:22 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I'm not sure. The large colony actually had two queens before they had workers. I never knew exactly why one of the queens died.

#102 Offline antmaniac - Posted April 2 2015 - 4:56 AM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

I see. Sometimes the queen would start the colony together, then the stronger queen will kill off the other queen for food or just abandon the body (happened to meat ants). Depends on the species I suppose, for some timid species, the colony may also accept the queen and kill off the weak one I think.

#103 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 2 2015 - 5:19 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah, there's a few different scenarios that involve multiple queens.

#104 Offline Foogoo - Posted April 2 2015 - 7:54 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Update 3-29-2015

All of the new queens are now completely mite-free. Using my extremely fine forceps, I wiped them all off. I also briefly held them under running water from the sink to help knock the mites off.

And they let you do that?  :o My cat won't let me do anything close to that while my Dorymyrmex queens seem to be finding any excuse to die, none of which comes close to giving them a shower!

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#105 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 2 2015 - 8:44 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

They didn't have much of a choice.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#106 Offline antmaniac - Posted April 3 2015 - 6:05 PM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Update 3-29-2015

All of the new queens are now completely mite-free. Using my extremely fine forceps, I wiped them all off. I also briefly held them under running water from the sink to help knock the mites off.

And they let you do that?  :o My cat won't let me do anything close to that while my Dorymyrmex queens seem to be finding any excuse to die, none of which comes close to giving them a shower!

Imagining two massive boulders (I mean fingers) hold on to you...struggling is futile. 

#107 Offline Crystals - Posted April 3 2015 - 6:36 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I like that nest.

Now I am even more jealous of that colony.  :D

• soulsynapse likes this

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#108 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 30 2015 - 10:34 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 4-30-2015

Chromerust gave me a few more new colonies of these that he just doesn't have the time to take care of.

Today I found the queen of one of the colonies in the small ant farm boxes dead and ripped in half. :(

#109 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 27 2015 - 1:09 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 7-27-2015

My original large colony is doing well as always.

My one remaining new colony from this year is doing well too so far. They're still housed in one of my small dirt boxes, and I think I counted about 16 workers. They also have a large amount of brood in all stages of development.

#110 Offline Foogoo - Posted July 27 2015 - 3:27 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Got any new pics? It's always fun seeing large harvester colonies.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#111 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 27 2015 - 3:46 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

No new pictures of my large colony.

#112 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 3 2015 - 6:34 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 8-3-2015

Well I just found my new colony dragging pieces of the queen around in the out world, so I guess that's it for them. They are left with about 20 workers and lots of brood.

#113 Offline Foogoo - Posted August 3 2015 - 6:57 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Do you have another V. pergandei colony? This could be an interesting experiment to introduce a new queen to an existing colony. I'd especially like to see if having the two together but separated as Crystals had mentioned for a few days would work.

#114 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 3 2015 - 7:39 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I don't have another small colony or lone queen.

#115 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 20 2016 - 1:10 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 1-20-2016

The colony is still doing great, along with the prototype formicarium I have them in. They probably haven't grown a whole lot since the last update, but they still seem to be healthy. Lately the queen hasn't been laying hardly any eggs, but it's probably just the time of year. The only thing I've been doing differently, is I have them in total darkness now because I haven't gotten any lighting set up yet here at my new apartment.

Here's a strange video of them attracted to the cold white light of an LED flashlight. Who knows, maybe it has something to do with them being kept in constant darkness.

#116 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 19 2016 - 11:48 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 3-20-2016

I just found another three of these queens today in Pinon Hills, CA. I put one in a "dirt box" and the other two in test tubes.

med_gallery_2_163_709330.jpg

#117 Offline Shaye - Posted March 23 2016 - 12:16 AM

Shaye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

The queens will be for sale? If so, do you have an estimate price?

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?

#118 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 23 2016 - 6:14 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Most likely since my main colony has well over 2000 workers now. I'll probably keep one of these new ones, so assuming I have two left, I would sell them for probably at least $50, but it depends on a lot of factors.

#119 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 13 2016 - 6:39 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 4-13-2016

I did a rough estimated count, and it appears they have about 2200 workers now. in addition to this, the queen is producing like crazy; a quarter of the nest is filled with brood. It also looks like a few workers finally breached the Fluon lip, so I guess it's time to swap it out with a fresh one. It's amazing how long it lasted.

#120 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 22 2016 - 10:31 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 4-22-2016

This is why I am in a hurry to try to finish this formicarium design. I'm going to have to extend the chambers on this thing very soon; these guys have completely filled it up. I think there are about 2400 workers in the colony now.

med_gallery_2_163_465098.jpg

The two new queens that I have in test tubes are not doing very well at all, but the one in the "dirt box" is doing great, and should have workers very soon.
  • Crystals, dermy, LC3 and 2 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dspdrew, messor pergandei, journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users