• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Black Light Trap Research and Design

black light dspdrew trap

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 31 2015 - 11:48 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

That's the top part of this bug zapper. I got it so that I would already have the socket for the bulbs.

Edit: Actuallly, I made a couple posts that day. Are you talking about this center piece?

Yeah that's what I was referring to.

I ordered a "12 inch homebrew funnel" and it's a perfect fit. Next I'm going to try and make the acrylic. Is Fluon effective on plastic? I'm thinking coating the funnel and acrylic with Fluon or silicone may help encourage ants and whatever else to go into the bucket.

Do you have a link to where you got that from?

#22 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 1 2015 - 12:01 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Cutting notches at the bottom would probably be best for it to sit on top of the bucket/funnel, but I'll probably have to find a bandsaw or dremel. Any suggestions on acrylic thickness to use?

I was just going to post about that. You asked what that square thing was... it was just a piece I made from acrylic to hole the four fins together. This really was just one more complexity that I had in my design because I used such thin acrylic. I would say use 1/4 inch acrylic if you want something really sturdy. I am actually planning to make two pieces with a 1/4 inch slot cut half way up the bottom of one, and half way down the top of the other so they can just slide together.

#23 Offline Foogoo - Posted February 9 2015 - 6:43 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Do you have a link to where you got that from?

Attempt #2

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#24 Offline Foogoo - Posted February 15 2015 - 9:45 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Ok here it is. I was planning to do a write up on it but I'm too worn out right now. It's pretty self explanatory. The LED strip was recommended by someone as many UV LEDs sold are not true UV. It runs off 12v dc and can be cut at 3-LED intervals. I'm powering it with 2200mah RC batteries. I have the capacity to add two more strips but decided to see how two works. I'm going to stick a binder clip on the bottom to keep it from shifting. Any questions, ask away!

IMG 20150214 132037
Album: trap
13 images
0 comments

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#25 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 15 2015 - 11:43 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Nice. It looks like the two slots idea is working nicely. Is that 1/4 inch acrylic? You should make a new thread like mine with your whole designed explained, pictures and all. LiPo batteries would be a good idea if you wanted to keep it light weight. I'm just going with SLA's because aside from the obvious Pros of SLA batteries, I actually want the extra weight to keep the CG as low as possible.

#26 Offline Foogoo - Posted February 16 2015 - 9:09 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Nice. It looks like the two slots idea is working nicely. Is that 1/4 inch acrylic? You should make a new thread like mine with your whole designed explained, pictures and all. LiPo batteries would be a good idea if you wanted to keep it light weight. I'm just going with SLA's because aside from the obvious Pros of SLA batteries, I actually want the extra weight to keep the CG as low as possible.

Yup, 1/4". I'll try to throw together a thread sometime this week. It's all for show until the trap proves itself!

#27 Offline Loops117 - Posted April 19 2016 - 12:24 PM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

Just located one of my spare Bug Zappers. It has a Single Black light, and a single White/flouro light. I plan on doing a build very similar to this, so i'd like to know how this went. I noticed you painted your baffles, and had them go almost all the way touching the light. Was there a reason for this? Does it help knock the bugs down?

I am also wondering if it would be beneficial to put a white sheet on a stand next to the light to help attract.

#28 Offline NightsWebs - Posted April 19 2016 - 12:43 PM

NightsWebs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

I like the idea of the UV LEDs but I think you should add a hood with a fan blowing down into the funnel. I would also include a vent/screen  in the top of the hood.  The hood would also provide an easy method to hide/store the batteries and wiring.  I am liking the design!

Current Colonies;

Acromyrmex Versicolor

Dorymyrmex Bicolor

Pogonomyrmex Californicus
Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Pogonomyrmex Tenuispinus
Novomessor Cockerelli
Myrmecocystus Mexicanus

Last Update: 08 Jul 2016

#29 Offline Loops117 - Posted April 19 2016 - 12:57 PM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Was thinking of using a 2nd bucket under the first and use it as a base.. Hide all the batteries and everything else in the base for a lower center of gravity. Then to do any adjustments, or to hide the charging wires, they would be thrown into the bottom bucket, then the top/trap would be slid into the base bucket.

Also, have you given any thought on how to give the caught bugs a place to hide? I was thinking of using white mesh and sideways rolling it into the bucket. This would allow me to still easily see what i've caught, and also allow other bugs to escape and hide.

#30 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 19 2016 - 4:49 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Just located one of my spare Bug Zappers. It has a Single Black light, and a single White/flouro light. I plan on doing a build very similar to this, so i'd like to know how this went. I noticed you painted your baffles, and had them go almost all the way touching the light. Was there a reason for this? Does it help knock the bugs down?

I am also wondering if it would be beneficial to put a white sheet on a stand next to the light to help attract.

I haven't finished this yet. I left off where the thread leaves off. I decided to paint the baffling white, because I think it will probably direct more insects to the baffling instead of the bulb itself, which is the whole point.

Was thinking of using a 2nd bucket under the first and use it as a base.. Hide all the batteries and everything else in the base for a lower center of gravity. Then to do any adjustments, or to hide the charging wires, they would be thrown into the bottom bucket, then the top/trap would be slid into the base bucket.

This is exactly what I planned  to do.

Also, have you given any thought on how to give the caught bugs a place to hide? I was thinking of using white mesh and sideways rolling it into the bucket. This would allow me to still easily see what i've caught, and also allow other bugs to escape and hide.

I thought about this, but it all depends on exactly how I intend to use this trap: long term, or short term.

#31 Offline Loops117 - Posted April 21 2016 - 5:15 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Do you think this will have luck with attracting fertilized queens? 

#32 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 21 2016 - 7:04 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Of course. It attracts all flying insects.

#33 Offline Loops117 - Posted April 21 2016 - 8:19 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

I could be over thinking it cuz I'm new to the hobby, but i thought queens flew to mate. Once they mate, they land and remove wings. Is this not always the case? I was thinking of changing my design a little bit.

Would make the hood hold all the electronics. The base bucket could be interchanged with a shorter stockier base. This base would be equivalent to a giant ant hill, with the center 5" being a funnel going down. This should allow crawling bugs to enter the trap as well and still allow flying bugs to enter the scene. But with allowing walking critters to enter, will i be getting toooo much?

#34 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 21 2016 - 12:06 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

No matter where exactly the queens mate, they normally will fly off after. That is when you will catch some of them on your light.

• ant007 likes this

#35 Offline PTAntFan - Posted April 22 2016 - 9:37 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

Noob question: Why blacklight instead of standard lights?

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#36 Offline Foogoo - Posted April 22 2016 - 10:10 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Noob question: Why blacklight instead of standard lights?

Insects are attracted to UV for various and unknown reasons (sun, flowers, etc.). Insects appear attracted to standard lights typically because standard lights have some spectrum of UV in addition to visible wavelengths.

• PTAntFan likes this

#37 Offline VoidElecent - Posted February 19 2017 - 11:44 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Cutting notches at the bottom would probably be best for it to sit on top of the bucket/funnel, but I'll probably have to find a bandsaw or dremel. Any suggestions on acrylic thickness to use?

I was just going to post about that. You asked what that square thing was... it was just a piece I made from acrylic to hole the four fins together. This really was just one more complexity that I had in my design because I used such thin acrylic. I would say use 1/4 inch acrylic if you want something really sturdy. I am actually planning to make two pieces with a 1/4 inch slot cut half way up the bottom of one, and half way down the top of the other so they can just slide together.

"12 inch slut"

#38 Offline Martialis - Posted February 19 2017 - 11:48 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

deleted

Edited by Martialis, May 19 2017 - 12:34 PM.

Spoiler

#39 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 19 2017 - 12:17 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

"12 inch slut"

Haha, good catch. It was 1/4 inch though.

Fixed.

#40 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted February 19 2017 - 1:26 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Noob Question: May I have a link to the blacklights and fixtures you have bought?

YJK

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: black light, dspdrew, trap

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users