• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Finding Wasp Queens

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted December 6 2015 - 10:53 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Anybody here good with wasps?

So I have basically learned basic wasp keeping. However, I am in Southern California. :| 

I have not seen a wasp in about a year now I think, but I do know where to find some.

What time of the year is best to look for wasp queens?

#2 Offline Here for the honeypots - Posted December 6 2015 - 11:06 PM

Here for the honeypots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
Found one snoozing in my wood stack last week.
  • Gregory2455 likes this

#3 Offline dermy - Posted December 7 2015 - 3:25 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Your best bet is to not waste time with getting a queen to start a nest but rather get a small nest with at least a queen and a few workers. I'd go for Polistes if you can find them [Paper Wasps] since they are much easier to take care of and don't get as big as Vespula Species do.

Next you need to put the nest [with the wasps] into the fridge for a bit so they can be safely removed from the nest [leave them in the fridge whilst you do this next part ;)

Put down about 3 squares of cardboard in one corner of a Kritter Keeper [I can get them cheap here in Canada don't know about you] and then hot glue the nest to the square that is ontop of the "bottom" of the kritter keeper.

After the nest has been secured [use lots of hot glue to get it down well enough!] then you can add a food dish/water dish and some cardboard stripes/wood [make sure no pesticides] then introduce the wasps.

For larvae feeding you'll need to provide a protein source, such as mealworms or crickets.

After about 5 days or so [The shorter period the better] it's best to let them free range, which is just basically putting the Kritter Keeper somewhere it is not in direct sunlight and away from people. It's a lot more fun to free-range wasp colonies then it is to worry about feeding them everyday [everytime you need to feed them you have to stick your hand in the enclosure, they hate that, that's how I always ended up getting stung by Vespula species.]

here's a youtube video detailing it all:

https://www.youtube....h?v=JpgfFDxxbp0

Hope this helps, Next year I plan to relocate a nice little Vespula species nest :P

• Gregory2455 likes this

#4 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted December 7 2015 - 5:01 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

That is awesome dermy! Thanks. :)

#5 Offline Subverted - Posted December 7 2015 - 6:17 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

I've found hibernating queens a lot under rocks or logs...but I have unfortunately had absolutely horrible luck with founding colonies.

I have heard that wasps can be come "hand tame" where they will recognize the person feeding them and not become aggressive.

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#6 Offline dermy - Posted December 8 2015 - 4:13 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I've found hibernating queens a lot under rocks or logs...but I have unfortunately had absolutely horrible luck with founding colonies.

I have heard that wasps can be come "hand tame" where they will recognize the person feeding them and not become aggressive.

Yeah, with Polistes, I don't think I know many people who hand tame Vespula species.....

#7 Offline Zeiss - Posted December 8 2015 - 3:27 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

I was given a nest of polistes with about 8 to 12 wasps on it.  Still in the jar it was given to me in since I don't have the money to buy a large enough container for them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users