• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tiny mite found on gaster of Camponotus semitestaceus alate.

camponotus semitestaceus alate mite

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 22 2014 - 9:11 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I just found the smallest mite I have ever seen on the gaster of a Camponotus semitestaceus alate I caught last weekend. At first I thought it was just a bump on the ant's gaster, because even when poking it with a tiny pin, it was very hard to move it, but then all of a sudden it started walking around. The strangest part about this is that this ant was soaking in alcohol for a while. I pick much larger mites off my lizard sometimes, but these die instantly when they come into contact with alcohol. I got some pictures with as much magnification as my microscope can do (90x). Now I'm kind of wondering if this could be the cause of some new queen deaths, since without a microscope you would never even be able to see this thing.

gallery_2_137_4902.jpg

gallery_2_137_33376.jpg

gallery_2_137_16978.jpg

gallery_2_137_51574.jpg

gallery_2_137_23412.jpg

gallery_2_137_43562.jpg

gallery_2_137_51215.jpg

#2 Offline WeatherAnt - Posted April 1 2014 - 1:40 PM

WeatherAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Any update on this little guy? Have you managed to get an ID or anything close?

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 1 2014 - 2:20 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Not really. David Gaban from the Ants California Facebook group was saying it's probably a turtle mite or something.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus semitestaceus, alate, mite

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users