• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

⚠ byFormica Galileo Liquid Feeder Leaking - Please Use Approved Liquids (Never Honey Water!)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline drtrmiller - Posted April 14 2017 - 4:42 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Below, you will find a complete email exchange with a customer in Germany whose Galileo Liquid Feeders leaked.

TLDR summary is that the liquid was fermenting in the feeder, producing gasses that in turn pushed out the liquid. Switching to Sunburst Ant Nectar resolved the issue.

Dear Sir or Madam,

I bought from you these feeders: https://www.amazon.d...uct/B01N4PFMWV/

Now I have noticed with dismay today that the liquids leak, but according to your product description they should not do this?

Quotation of the product description: "No leaks by itself: Our patent-registered design will never leak when it is assembled. Also, if it is reversed, it is overturned or if ants put small amounts of dirt on the exposed liquid."

Best Regards,
AF

Hello AF,

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing a problem. The feeder should not leak when used as directed.

Can you please take a photo of your setup or the issue you're experiencing, so I may examine it? You should be able to attach a photo to this message.

--
Regards,
Terry M.
byFormica Ant Products

Hello,

Here are one picture of the configuration, as the whole has confessed, as it has ended.

Best Regards,
AF

uc?export=view&id=0B4O2xPb2dcB_b0R5MXZSY

Hello AF,

Thank you for the photos.

The most likely cause for the leakage is an extreme change in temperature. Is the feeder positioned close to any light bulbs or heat sources, or in an environment where the temperature varies greatly between night and day? If so, the heat can expand the gas bubble in the feeder and force liquid out through the bottom holes.

To rule out this problem, you may place the feeder in a place away from the ants, and away from any heat sources, such as on a bookshelf or kitchen table. If the feeder does not leak outside the formicarium, then it is likely that something inside the formicarium is causing the problem.

I would also note, the Galileo XL feeder is not intended to be used with pure honey or other thick, viscous liquids. Sugary liquids should be diluted before being added to the feeder. The "Galileo XL" is primarily intended to be used with water, except for very large colonies of 5,000 or more ants. The smaller 1 and 4 ml Galileo feeders are a more appropriate size for feeding sugary liquids to small colonies, so as to prevent waste. Sugary liquids should be replaced entirely every few days, as the quality degrades over time.

In any case, can you kindly conduct the test to determine whether the feeders leak outside the formicarium, without any extreme change in temperature? I look forward to your reply.

--
Regards,
Terry M.
byFormica Ant Products

Hello,

Thank you for your response.

In the Formicarium there are no temperature fluctuations either, it is neither heated by heaters, nor by a lamp, it is simply on the shelf and has the room temperature of 21 degrees.

Best Regards,
AF

Edited by drtrmiller, April 14 2017 - 4:56 PM.

• Kevin and Martialis like this

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted April 14 2017 - 4:48 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Hello AF,

Thank you for your reply.

I'll investigate this issue further, as I've never used this model with undiluted honey. In the meantime, you may invert the feeder, remove the base, wash it off under warm water, dry it, and place it back on.

While I look more closely into the problem, you can check to see if the problem happens again, and possibly identify the conditions under which the problem occurs.

I'll write you again within 1-2 days following the conclusion of my tests with undiluted honey. If you have additional questions or feedback, don't hesitate to contact me.

--
Regards,
Terry M.
byFormica Ant Products

Hello,

All clear, I test again ...

I use mostly cane sugar with water, but later I wanted to fill
invertzucker ...

Best Regards,
AF

Hello AF,

Thank you for the additional photograph.

It is possible that the sugar solution you are using is fermenting in the feeder, causing gases to build up pressure inside the reservoir and force out liquid.​ Can you kindly test the feeder with plain water and let me know if it leaks?

I can send you some Sunburst Ant Nectar, which resists fermentation and does not spoil as quickly as homemade sugar solutions. Would you like to try a free 120 ml bottle of Sunburst Ant Nectar?

--
Regards,
Terry M.
byFormica Ant Products

Edited by drtrmiller, April 14 2017 - 4:51 PM.

• Martialis likes this

#3 Offline drtrmiller - Posted April 14 2017 - 4:49 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Hello AF,

Please test the feeders with plain water and let me know if they leak out. If they do not leak with plain water, it is possible that the sugar solution you are using may be fermenting.

When yeast and bacteria grow in sugary homemade solutions, they produce carbon dioxide gas as a waste product after eating the sugar. As these gasses are produced, they can force liquid out of the bottom of the feeder.

--
Regards,
Terry M.
byFormica Ant Products

Hello AF,

Have you had an opportunity to test the feeders with plain water to see if they continue to leak?

I have tested a number of these feeders over the past 48 hours with both pure honey and a 50/50 mix of honey and water, at a temperature of 21 C, with a daily temperature variation of ± 2 C, and am unable to replicate the problem.

It is very unlikely that you would have received two defective feeders. The only way these feeders can leak is if there is a pressure buildup in the tube, which can be either caused by a significant change in atmospheric pressure (such as traveling up or down a mountain), extreme changes in temperature, or bacterial growth leading to fermentation of the sugar liquid media.

I can still send you some Sunburst Ant Nectar to try with the feeder. Otherwise, if the items are not working for you, I'm afraid the only other thing I can offer is for you to return the items to Amazon for a refund.

Please let me know how I can help or if you have any additional questions.

--
Regards,
Terry M.
byFormica Ant Products

Hello,

Thank you I have only tested it with water and since it seems to work, seemingly the sugar works and bacteria form ... So the theory could be correct.

I would like to feed my ants in the long term, how is that with the Sunburst Ant Nectar? Are there problems with this liquid food?

Thank you very much,
AF

Hello AF,

Sunburst Ant Nectar satisfies the sugars needed for ant colonies, but not protein. It is necessary to continue to feed your ants insects alongside Sunburst.

The shipping address I have for you is as follows:
XXX
Germany

May I send you the 120 ml bottle of Sunburst Ant Nectar to the above address, or would you prefer it to be sent somewhere else?

--
Regards,
Terry M.
byFormica Ant Products

Hello,

Thank you very much, the address is correct and I am very curious.

Best regards,
AF

Edited by drtrmiller, April 14 2017 - 4:51 PM.

• Martialis likes this

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted April 14 2017 - 4:50 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Hello AF,

I am writing to inform you I have concluded my tests.

After 5 days at 21 C, neither pure honey, nor plain water, nor Sunburst leaked from the liquid feeders.

After 5 days at 21 C, a 1:1 solution of honey and water did leak, indicating that bacteria or other organisms had begun to grow in the solution and produce gasses to displace the liquid.

Your complimentary bottle of Sunburst is scheduled for delivery on Wednesday, March 15. It is recommended to only feed or dispense the amount of liquid your ants can consume within a few hours, as evaporation may cause changes in the ratio of sugar to water, creating a syrup that is less preferable by the ants compared to the original solution.

The smaller Galileo Liquid feeders, linked below, are recommended for feeding Sunburst and other sugary liquids, because the smaller capacity means that the liquid may be replaced more frequently, resulting in less waste.

https://www.amazon.d.../dp/B010Q2TFHU/

I noticed that you previously purchased and returned this product, even though it is recommended for the feeding of sugary liquids, as you are trying to do.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me. Best of luck with you and your ants!
--
Regards,
Terry M.
byFormica Ant Products

Good Morning,

Thank you for your efforts, I have recognized similar, honey water running out in a few days, I think that is indeed the bacteria or microorganisms. In normal water, everything is dense, I currently have to test invert sugar, that also seems to stay tight so far...

You are right, the small feeders I will order the days also again, these are then more suitable for it. For me it was always important to provide the colony for 2 weeks, without which I must intervene, as I am several times a year not there and then I would have the ants well supplied. That's why I bought only the big feeders and returned the smaller Galileo Liquid feeders.

I will write a positive test about your products and would like to thank you for your efforts.

Best regards,
AF

Hello AF,

When you need to go on vacation or holiday, please fill the larger 16 ml feeders with plain water, as it will not spoil. You may also fill a 4 ml Galileo feeder with Sunburst Ant Nectar, and it will remain viable for several days.

Ants can live a very long time without any food, but die very quickly without water. The low evaporation rate of the entire line of Galileo feeders means that they are particularly well-suited for long-term use.

If you have additional questions, don't hesitate to contact me at any time.
--
Regards,
Terry M.
byFormica Ant Products

Edited by drtrmiller, April 14 2017 - 5:00 PM.

• Martialis likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Offline Serafine - Posted April 15 2017 - 1:53 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany
Changing the liquid once per week also helps. If you're leaving sugar water in the feeder for several weeks that's your own fault. It's not like sugar is worth it's weight in gold or so.

Edited by Serafine, April 15 2017 - 1:54 AM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#6 Offline drtrmiller - Posted April 15 2017 - 2:00 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Changing the liquid once per week also helps. If you're leaving sugar water in the feeder for several weeks that's your own fault. It's not like sugar is worth it's weight in gold or so.

Per one of my replies, an investigation found that diluted honey water started fermenting and leaking out after just a couple days at room temperature. Within about a week, enough gas was produced to displace nearly the entire 16 ml feeder.

Sunburst should never spoil in this way when used in the Galileo feeder, as the feeder design limits direct contact with the liquid, and the liquid itself resists spoilage. Even so, Sunburst should be replaced every few days, as it will evaporate over time into a syrup that is less preferable to the ants.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#7 Offline Serafine - Posted April 15 2017 - 7:58 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Per one of my replies, an investigation found that diluted honey water started fermenting and leaking out after just a couple days at room temperature. Within about a week, enough gas was produced to displace nearly the entire 16 ml feeder.

That's why I stopped using diluted honey water, it just gets bad way too quickly. My ants eat pure honey and maple syrup anyway and I'm having the suspicion that they actually prefer more viscous liquids, they even waited for the Sunburst to dry into a gooey syrup before they started to drink it.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users