• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
- - - - -

Alexant's Termites

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Alexant - Posted November 27 2015 - 10:55 AM

Alexant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

So i ordered a colony of Reticulitermes grassei from Anthouse.es which arrived yesterday. They have settled in nicely. The colony consists of about 100 workers and over 20 soldiers. There are also 2 or 3  Neotenic Nymph queens who are doing very well, one of which will become the new Queen. Also, there are many normal nymphs which is a good sign.

• Myrmicinae likes this

#2 Offline Myrmicinae - Posted November 29 2015 - 8:00 PM

Myrmicinae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationFort Collins, CO

There are also 2 or 3  Neotenic Nymph queens who are doing very well, one of which will become the new Queen. Also, there are many normal nymphs which is a good sign.

What sort of setup do you have them in currently?  You will need a replacement king as well as queen to get the colony going.  I have been meaning to try to keep termites again, but they are definitely one of the more tricky social insects to culture.

Edit: Also, this post should be in the "Off-Topic Journals" section.

Edited by Myrmicinae, November 29 2015 - 8:05 PM.

Journals on Formiculture:
Pheidole ceres
Tapinoma sessile

Old YouTube Channel:
ColoradoAnts

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 30 2015 - 6:55 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Edit: Also, this post should be in the "Off-Topic Journals" section.

Thanks for pointing that out. Moved.

#4 Offline Alexant - Posted December 24 2015 - 5:32 AM

Alexant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Sorry for the long wait. I am keeping them in a small plastic formicarium. They actualy came in it. These termites are from Europe and even parts of devon, England, the country in which i live so they arent too bad. The workers can molt to form new kings and queens.

#5 Offline Ants4fun - Posted December 25 2015 - 10:54 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Interesting. Pictures?

#6 Offline Alexant - Posted February 2 2016 - 7:27 AM

Alexant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

The colony has produced an alate, currently the only colony member with pigment!

Attached Images

• 20160202_153304.jpg
  • 20160202_153316.jpg
  • 20160202_153327.jpg

Edited by Alexant, February 2 2016 - 7:41 AM.

• Myrmicinae likes this

#7 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 2 2016 - 8:12 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

That's pretty cool.

#8 Offline Alexant - Posted February 2 2016 - 8:42 AM

Alexant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Thanks. The workers are now chewing off her wings. I guess she is the new Queen although I assume she needs to mate. Not too sure how that will work.

#9 Offline drtrmiller - Posted February 2 2016 - 9:07 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Thanks. The workers are now chewing off her wings. I guess she is the new Queen although I assume she needs to mate. Not too sure how that will work.

Or they're just hungry!

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#10 Offline Alexant - Posted February 2 2016 - 9:38 AM

Alexant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

They have had a bunch of food offered to the but they won't forage for it

#11 Offline Alexant - Posted February 3 2016 - 7:48 AM

Alexant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

The alate has dissappeared overnight. I have a feeling she was killed. I saw a worker that was about to forage but changed its mind

#12 Offline Alexant - Posted February 5 2016 - 10:33 AM

Alexant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Another Alate has appeared. I will chech on it later.

#13 Offline Alexant - Posted February 6 2016 - 8:39 AM

Alexant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

The workers seem to be more accepting of this alate. They havent even touched the wings. There are no other alate nymphs but I think the colony will do well. I hope they do get a queen. As cool as they are now, I think an actual queen will be much more interesting. Plus their black colour contrasts the white workers.

#14 Offline Alexant - Posted February 7 2016 - 6:44 AM

Alexant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

This alate died too

#15 Offline Alexant - Posted February 28 2016 - 4:03 AM

Alexant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

So, after the rise and fall of the alates I am left with no reproductive. However, this isn't the end as any of the colony's members can molt into a reproductive. There are many new nymphs, at about 1mm in size. The populations seems to be constant. One problem is that they aren't foraging which is a slight concern. As always, any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Alex

#16 Offline Alexant - Posted March 7 2016 - 6:04 AM

Alexant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

They still aren't foraging or eating and they are dying and the population is dropping. Any help or advice?

#17 Offline Subverted - Posted March 7 2016 - 10:56 AM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

As far as I know termites don't really forage in the same way that we think of ants foraging?

If the wood you are trying to feed them isn't in their nest area they just ignore it, in my experience.

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#18 Offline Alexant - Posted March 10 2016 - 1:33 PM

Alexant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Well that problem has been solved but another has revealed itself. They are storing their dead in the nest and mould has started to frow. Any help or advice?

#19 Offline Alexant - Posted March 20 2016 - 5:17 AM

Alexant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

I am drying out the mold while trying to keep other parts of the nest slightly moist. It appears to be working but only time will tell

#20 Offline Alexant - Posted March 31 2016 - 4:31 AM

Alexant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Almost all are dead and the nest is next to useless. I feel that this journal will end soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users