• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Quick question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline iXvXi - Posted November 13 2015 - 11:08 AM

iXvXi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Does the United States prohibit shipping of just brood?

I think it would be cool if members with huge colonies could make a little extra money by selling some of their brood. Members with undeveloped colonies could benefit from this also.

Maybe leave 1 or two workers to take care of the brood during shipment. Obviously temperature and humidity is a concern, but I would think expedited shipping would be fine.

Any thoughts?

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 13 2015 - 12:26 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I'm pretty sure that from what I have read pertaining to all of the USDA laws regarding live insects, their definition of "live insects" means eggs, brood, or adults. If I'm recalling correctly, that part of the laws was quite clear.

#3 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 13 2015 - 12:33 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Any stage of organism that meets criteria of the statute.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#4 Offline iXvXi - Posted November 13 2015 - 2:09 PM

iXvXi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Ohh, bummer. I was thinking it would only pertain to queens. Since they ship live worker ants but I also didn't account for permits either.

Thanks for the information.

It would make sense to me that only native queens would be able to raise the brood; but now I understand!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users