• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Forelius pruinosus/mccooki colony (many queens) (orange county, ca)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline Vendayn - Posted October 18 2015 - 3:09 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

heads up: Since Forelius pruinosus/mccooki are small (just a bit smaller than Argentine ants) and their color is a clearish orange/yellow color that blends into the dirt, I can't get a good picture of them. Look on google images for a better idea of what they look like. My camera can do Pogonomyrmex pictures (barely) and Argentine ants too (since they are dark colored), but no way will it do Forelius pictures.

But, since there must be some pictures posted...here is what it looks like.

http://s4.photobucke...154849.jpg.html

http://s4.photobucke...154838.jpg.html

http://s4.photobucke...154824.jpg.html

http://s4.photobucke...154809.jpg.html

There are over 20 queens (probably much more than that, but I know I got at least twenty), with hundreds if not more, of freshly laid eggs. Also, there are many thousands of ants. You'll need to move them out within a month or expand them to bigger/new ant farms since they'll run out of room pretty quick. The container is just a storage container, since I don't have much money, I just grab whatever works. For a barrier, I use olive oil, and it works for many months for me and the ants can't cross it at all. It is the best barrier I've personally used for a cheap price.

Now with that said, I'm only looking to trade for desert ants. But, one that already has at least some workers, not just a queen. I don't want Solenopsis species, or Pogonomyrmex either (lots of Pogonomyrmex around here). Dorymyrmex bicolor is out too, as I don't do good with them, they die really quick. No Tapinoma sessile, or any invasive ant (like Argentine ants). No Monomorium either. Also, Camponotus and Crematogaster are both out, I won't accept those two. Camponotus is super cool, but they always die on me for some reason. I do super bad at keeping Camponotus. :( Much better with the very dry climate ants.

A Formica species would be cool, so would Myrmecocystus as I've never found a queen of them. A Messor queen+colony would also be awesome, and I'd take those instead of the first two. But, I'd have to think on the Myrmecocystus, as I've caught workers and the workers just die in an hour or less when I tried years ago with just workers. I heard Myrmecocystus was a hard one to raise, is that true? Pseudomyrmex would be high on the list too.

This I'm putting up just to see what people offer and to see what they may (or may not) be worth. I may not end up trading/selling them at all for now. But, I kind of will have to eventually as I got way too many queens (wasn't my intention at all).

Also as an end of post warning: I can't drive, so I have to rely on my dad to meet somehwere with you. I live in Irvine (Orange County) and we can't drive too far. Riverside is probably too far, same with LA. We'd have to meet up somewhere a bit closer, but we can discuss that if I accept your offer.

Edited by Vendayn, October 20 2015 - 10:50 AM.

#2 Offline Vendayn - Posted October 18 2015 - 3:18 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Also, if anyone may be concerned. The colony I got the Forelius from, still had many dozens of queens. I only got a small fraction of the colony. That shows how big the nest must have been if I kept digging! I never got that many queens with just 3-4 scoops of dirt, with still tons of queens left behind. Must be how they survive against the Argentine ants where I got them from, with so many queens and workers. I'd never take every queen, nor would I ever take a queen if she is the only one in the colony. But, the Forelius colony I got mine from, is still active and healthy where they are.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users